"Wild Bill's Rumblings Of War"- A Tournament

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Ted is more gracious than I! I should have also thanked the folks who helped me test these scenarios.

They are Leland Tankersly, Jeff Smith, Dave Rat, Todd Johnston. They all put up a good fight (some better than others ;)), and also gave up any chance of taking part in the tournament. Thanks fellas!

It has come to my attention that some of you may find the briefings difficult to read since each paragraph is one long line of text. To fix this on a PC go into "edit" on the menu of the document and select "word wrap". I don't know how this is done on a Mac.

This is only an issue for briefings that were sent out today. I have just completed editing the briefings to normal page width.

Treeburst155 out.

Important Announcement!!

Everett Thiele has had to withdraw from the tournament due to an unexpected large increase in his workload. This means one of the three standby players will be put into his slot. I'm not sure exactly how WineCape wanted to choose among the three. I will get with him on that.

Juha Ahoniemi,

Since you only saw one movie in your game with Everett we will just start the game over again with the guy who takes Everett's slot.

Jason Barnes, Terry McLaughlin, Tom Travisano,

One of you guys will be picked to take Everett's place. Let me know ASAP if you are no longer able to play.

EDIT: According to an earlier WineCape post the replacement player will be chosen at random out of a hat.

Treeburst155 out.

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Without revealing any details of map or forces, let me just say that Wild Bill wasn't kidding about putting the players in tough tactical situations. If the scenario I'm fighting is any indicator, the War was a much closer thing than most of us would ever imagine, and anyone used to nice, fat, motivated units is in for a shock. I hope my foe has a similar set of nightmarish problems

confronting him. I've got my work cut out for me in this one.

Regards,

John Kettler

The guns are rumbling...the war is on.

I want to thank you all for your patience.

As a word of warning, sometimes you will feel deprived, or mistreated.

You must remember that in any battle, the gods of war are capricious, including CMBO.

With all the hard work given to play balance, you may not feel that is the case.

I think, though, with the quality of this testing group, they are as balanced as they can be.

The rest is up to you and that infamous roll of the dice.

Treeburst now has the last scenario, a rather varied approach to different areas in the war. Enjoy!

Good luck to all. Thanks to those who offered words of gratitude.

Finally, a very humble "thank you" to all who worked so hard on the testing team, well over a dozen qualified gamers. Great job!

Back to the War...

Wild Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Important Announcement!!

Everett Thiele has had to withdraw from the tournament due to an unexpected large increase in his workload. This means one of the three standby players will be put into his slot. I'm not sure exactly how WineCape wanted to choose among the three. I will get with him on that.

Juha Ahoniemi,

Since you only saw one movie in your game with Everett we will just start the game over again with the guy who takes Everett's slot.

Jason Barnes, Terry McLaughlin, Tom Travisano,

One of you guys will be picked to take Everett's place. Let me know ASAP if you are no longer able to play.

EDIT: According to an earlier WineCape post the replacement player will be chosen at random out of a hat.

Treeburst155 out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Caesar said, crossing the Rubicon towards Rome: "Alea jacta est."

The dice has been thrown; the following player is taken up Mr Everett Thiele's place in section III:

THOMAS TRAVISANO ttravisano@stny.rr.com

Congratulations Thomas. You are battling with Juha Ahoniemi ( juha.ahoniemi@mail.htk.fi ) in your first round, please contact Treeburst to confirm your willingness to participate as well as for battle details pertaining to your square-up with Jahu.

To the other 2 standby players: Tough luck gentleman, at least the odds have increased from 33% -- 50% next time a player withdraws! smile.gif

Again, I thank Wild Bill and his war crew for their work done here. Thanks gentleman!

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

-------------

Nothing more excellent or valuable than wine has ever been granted by the gods to man.

-- Plato, Greek philosopher (427 - 347 B.C.)

BTW: South Africa produces one of her most famous red wines, the Meerlust Rubicon (a Bordeaux Blend, currently 1997 vintage). This will be one of the possible recommendations to the winner of RoW, no doubt after you have played/seen these scenarios! ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juha Ahoniemi:

WTF???

Everett dropped out??? He didn't say anything like that last night when we started hostilities...Maybe he got scared when the shooting started, he is from Sweden after all ;)

Of well bring in another one, more meat to the grinder!

Juha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I'm the meat, since, as luck would have it, I won the dice roll. Sorry Jason. Sorry Terry. But maybe you'll be onboard soon, too.

Lucky me...and, incoming, so now I'd better duck!

(Tom Travisano)

As Wild Bill says, the final scenario is completed and in my hands so you can begin arranging the games I listed earlier that involve it.

Yes, Juha, you could bribe Mr. Thiele for the Allied password to your Travisano game but I don't think he would give it to you. Mr. Thiele is an honorable man, not to mention that he's so busy at work he wouldn't have time to drink the beer you would give him. ;)

Please reread what Wild Bill says above about the scenarios. They are as balanced as humanly possible without playing each one a dozen times from each side against different opponents. Remember, real battles were seldom balanced and there is always some luck involved. You must adapt and overcome!!

Treeburst155 out.

WTF???

Everett dropped out??? He didn't say anything like that last night when we started hostilities...Maybe he got scared when the shooting started, he is from Sweden after all <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My laddies were doing just fine, thank you.

Didn't you get my mail apologizing for pulling out? Have a good fight anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Yes, Juha, you could bribe Mr. Thiele for the Allied password to your Travisano game but I don't think he would give it to you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm looking forward to an Allied victory in that game. Them Finns are so cocky ;)

CMPlayer, we are cocky only when we know our opponent is a Swede - easy points, You know!

Maybe sometime in a distant future we have a chance to settle this... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After around Feb 02, if the world hasn't gone up in a fireball, I'd be happy to settle it. Now let's leave the nice thread to it's real purpose. ttfn

Hello all,

I'm back after a week of brainstorming! Treeburst, did you send any AAR's of the RoW to me, or are there no games completed yet?

Regards and good battles to the participants,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

---------------

I feast on wine and bread, and feasts they are.

-- Michelangelo, Italian artist (1475 - 1564)

I know that I'm only up to turn 5 in the games that I'm playing. I could privately forward you my DARs if you're really desperate to read something.

BTW, I think there's a good case for renaming this tournament from "Rumblings of War" to "Fog of War". The wonderfully secure, time-consuming method used for distributing the scenarios has resulted in my feeling like I have NO FREAKIN' IDEA what is going on - what reinforcements I will receive, what enemy forces are present - much like a commander at the scene who never has full information. I love/hate it. smile.gif