Axis flags in CMBO; why different?

Guest SS_Obergruppenführer

Guest SS_Obergruppenführer

Why is the Axis flag in CM without the swastika? Is there a law prohibiting that (I saw the same thing in Close Combat)?

------------------

SLOVENIA- a prospering country for the European Union

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by Jarmo:

I believe the problem is German law. No nazi symbols allowed.

What an excellent idea!

Guest AggroMann

Damn Nazis, had to go and turn one of the coolest symbols into something that stands for hate... I like the swastika, but i cant even doodle it without people thinking im an anti-semite...

oh well..

------------------

AGGRO-MANN

Originally posted by Space Thing:

What an excellent idea!

It is a symbol that has come to stand for evil, but suppressing it only makes it more attractive to some people. I guess the logic is, "if the government doesn't want me to have it, then it must be worth having." IMHO, it is wiser to let idiots who want to wear the swastika and other regalia and march and shout hate slogans to have their parades and rallies, and let the world see what idiots they really are. I think the public of today is much more sophisticated than that in 1923.

MrSpkr

------------------

But we're saying goodbye to them all

We're Harry's police force on call!

So put back your pack on

The next stop is Saigon

Don't bless the few bless 'em all!

Hehe..good taste biggrin.gif

Ok but there are some good mods for flags / force insignia replacement.

I think BTS just wants to be sure that some fanatics in Germany don't bann CM because it has swastikas.

I don't really understand why law should or could forbid any symbol. What are benefits from that kind of cencorship? I don't really see any....well it goes OT again biggrin.gif

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

It is a symbol that has come to stand for evil, but suppressing it only makes it more attractive to some people. I guess the logic is, "if the government doesn't want me to have it, then it must be worth having." IMHO, it is wiser to let idiots who want to wear the swastika and other regalia and march and shout hate slogans to have their parades and rallies, and let the world see what idiots they really are. I think the public of today is much more sophisticated than that in 1923.

MrSpkr

Guest Space Thing

Ok, I'll do it right this time.

MrSpkr,

I see what you are saying. I think the world sees what idiots they are even without their symbol.

As for sphistication back in 1923, I can see that too -in some ways. However, one nagging thought keeps rising to the surface whenever I consider it.

In 1939, the nation with the highest level of education per capita was (Nazi) Germany. frown.gif So much for sophistication. They were supposed to be the smartest and the brightest of the planet. We now know how wrong that was.

EVERYONE, don't get me wrong. I don't hate Germans. I've been outside the US and I know that people are just people -everywhere. We all cry and laugh for the same reasons. I just don't care for some of the things that some people did. That's all.

Cheers.

Don't come to New Mexico then! All these anti-semitic Navajos and Hopis have that damnable swastika plastered everywhere! Why, I was in the theatre the other day, and it's even worked into the molding in the lobby! And you know what's the most insidious thing about it? They've been at it around here for hundreds of years! If I were them, I would have sued those Nazi's for copyright infringement!

Scipio wrote:

I really can't see a positive progress in human nature. Nowhere in the world.

And you never will in this lifetime. At the risk of starting a philosophical/religious discussion that will quickly get locked I will simply make the comment that I believe human beings are not inherently "good".

Of course, then you will also get the philosophical theory that humans are also not "evil". People aren't good or evil, actions are. The actions of certain people of the world are evil, yet, they are not in themselves 100% evil, as nobody is capable of comitting only evil acts. Even the most percieved evil human has performed some good acts.

Of course, then you will also get the philosophical theory that humans are also not "evil". People aren't good or evil, actions are. The actions of certain people of the world are evil, yet, they are not in themselves 100% evil, as nobody is capable of comitting only evil acts. Even the most percieved evil human has performed some good acts.

Well, I agree that there are obviously good actions (helping the poor, being kind to children, etc.) and obviously evil actions (murder, torture, etc.). As to whether humans are inherently evil, I do have an opinion there, but it is due to my religious beliefs and, as I am aware that this is not a religious discussion forum, I will refrain from further comment here.

BTW, Major Tom, did you take your username from the song Space Oddity by David Bowie? I always liked that one.

-Doug

Yep, from the David Bowie 1969 hit. No problem, didn't want to insult anyone's beliefs here.

PS. I would blame the Democrats for supporting slavery in the 1850's and 1860's over any assumption that political correctness (ie. the process of treating everyone equal and refraining from the use of derogatory symbols and phrases based on religious, racial, gender, or sexual orientation) has 'ruined' morality. Also, the Republicans of the 1850's and 1860's were pretty deplorable as well, they did want freedom for Africans, but, equality was a bit too far for them.

Originally posted by ragnaar15:

I blame the Democrats-them and their touchy feely PC crap

Yes, how unfortunate that we live in a society where everyone is treated equally regardless of who their father was, what colour their skin is, or the type of genitals they have. What a shame.

I think the rest of the world needs to take a few cues from Canada. Our armed forces just broke down the last gender barrier by allowing women to serve as submariners. Good for them, I say. Most professional soldiers here realize that treating people like human beings is not necessarily a bad thing. Long gone are the days of beatings and hazings.

The Roddenberry vision of a truly equal society (which ironically enough never really got portrayed in most of the Star Trek incarnations) may very well come to pass - if we let it.

Moaning about how terrible human beings are is a pretty dumb way to go. Like, think positive, dudes. One can look at the advances made in North America with pride. It will only get better. Evil people make the news, but the world is run by pretty decent people - you just don't read about them in the newspapers because they're far more common.

as i heard it, th german law prohibits the swastika from being shown if it is not educational or if it glorifies the nazis. so museums, textbooks, etc. can have them. but games and such are iffy, especially if they make the ss and certain nazi units have combat and morale bonuses(glorifying the nazis).

so no, it isn't the "touchy feely" democrats that are at fault here...it's those rabid frothing at the mouth leftists, the germans...

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show