Sky mod previews here. (dawns, blues, and overcast for all seasons)

My sky mod is more or less done. It consists only of daytime skies, because I haven't decided how or if I plan on doing night ones (there are already quite a few night skies out there...) There are 8 blue skies (including one with no clouds at all) 6 dawns, and six overcast. The reason for the extra skies is that my skies aren't very generalized, so it's easy to notice that you are looking at the same clouds all the time smile.gif This mod includes my previous sky mods.

Here are some previews (I've limited it to six out of consideration for those of you who read this on dial up modems ;) ) Each of these was taken in view one looking towards a corner, and these are of the low res version of my skies on account of I have a lowly 16 MB voodoo 3 video card. The high res ones should look much better (less banding)

Now all I need is someplace to host 'em, and y'all can see for yourselves.

SurlyBen

dawnprev1.jpg

overcastprev1.jpg

blueprev1.jpg

blueprev2.jpg

overcastprev2.jpg

overcastprev3.jpg

I dunno, I kind of liked the shots I've seen of CM2. I cribbed at least one idea...

I think that the stock CM skies are supposed to be pretty generic, so that they kind of fade into the background and you don't notice you are seeing the same one all the time. I know I got bored seeing the same clouds over and over in my original sky mod...

SurlyBen

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: SurlyBen ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Panzer:

"Combat Missions?" "CM Outpost?" WHERE are you?

...get this guy onboard, quick...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All he needs to do is send it in and we will get up ASAP....within minutes if that's possible.

Hi ,

if you judge Ben´s skies just by the preview pics , you´d be amazed how the look in the game ! Marvellous work ( I like especially the new overcast skies ).

BTW: you can download the skies in 1 hour from Toms Combat Mission HQ ( link below ).

It´s a huge download ( 3 files ..each with 3 -4 MB ) but it´s worth each kb :D

Cheers

Tom

Thanks for the compliments. They are much appreciated smile.gif Perhaps not as much as some grog coming on and telling me that skies in WWII were usually black and white and he has ten books with the pictures to prove it, but still quite a bit :D

I expect I'll try and put together a night sky mod pretty soon.

FYI, I sent 'em in to Madmatt, so in addition to Tom's site they should show up on CMHQ in the reasonably near future...

Anyway, thanks again.

SurlyBen

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: SurlyBen ]

Wow… that is impressive! I noted that you said there are other sky mods out there, for example, for night. I haven't seen them, so I'm sure I'm on the wrong page. Could you help by directing me to them (and other sky mods)?

Thanks in advance!

I love the skies, however, I do have one comment. The horizons don't match up too well with the rest of the terrain, at least for the subdued terrain I am using. I am currently playing a game with your overcast sky and the horizon is very green. I am still using your skies because they look so good and because you don't see the horizon at the lower viewing angles. Is there any way this can be improved, or is there any way I can change it myself without having to get a degree in modding?

Edit: you can see what I am talking about in the fourth picture of your preview at the top of this thread. It is barely noticeable in that picture because it is a low angle view, but from higher angles it is much more apparent.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]