Book suggestions?

I'm fairly new to wargaming, and I was wondering if anyone would share some good reading material for those interested in learning basic (or more complex) battlefield tactics, especially those that could be applied to Combat Mission. Thanks for any help.

Guest Rommel22

Erwin Rommel's Infantry Tactics.

Good tactical book in company level. It's perfect for this game. The level of the tactics revolves around company and platoon so it fitst this game perfect. although no armor tactics but you can figure that one out.

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

IMO, any book by Stepen E. Ambrose will do. Great small action first hand accounts. Also, one of my personal favorites is "It Never Snows in September", by Robert J. Kershaw. this has some of the best accounts of small unit actions ( all from the German perspective) on Operation Market Garden.

My final favorites are "A Bridge Too Far" and "The Longest Day" by Cornelious Ryan.

Happy reading.

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

Company Commander by Charles Macdonald

Battle: The Story of the Bulge by John Toland

Beyond the Beachhead: 29th ID in Normandy by

Joseph Balkoski

A Time for Trumpets by Charles Macdonald

Eisenhower's Lieutenants by Russell Weigley-

Very involved but a definative work on the allies in the West.

Six Armies in Normandy by John Keegan

Just some of my favorites.

Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Guest TURBO

company commander is a must,also "The men of comapany k" Harold Leinbuagh and John Campbell "AGAINST THE PANZERS" Allyn Vannoy

Jay Karamales.

Anyone know of any online bookstores in Australia that deal with militray books such as these? I'm sure I could order them from the USA but what with our crappy exchange rate and the postage costs it doesn't make it worth it.

Regards,

Andrew

Thanks guys. I looked up some of the books you suggested and they look very good.

I found a couple of books by Rommel: Infantry Attacks, and another one just called Attacks. I think the Infantry Attacks might be what you were referring to Rommel22? Not sure on the specific differences between Attacks and Infantry Attacks, but I suppose it's somewhat obvious.

Anyway, I'd might as well throw in a request for any reference books on the weapons and vehicles used by the different countries during the war. I read in some other threads some discussion about referring to reference material, that seemed to provide some very interesting details. Something that provides some interesting specs, or maybe just some information on how the different weapons/vehicles were used during the war. Maybe that would help my understanding on which vehicles/troops would be most effective in any given situation. Appreciate it. Thanks for the suggestions.

"Infantry Attack" and "Attack!" I suppose they are the same book. I have the former one and it is a interesting read.

About the weapons book, you can find the HPS book from http://www.hpssims.com/ or you can search for the thread about this.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

Anyone read Burgetts Holland book yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. It's pretty good and reads like his other books so if you liked the first two you will like this one.

Allan

U.S Army in World War II;

Cross-Channel Attack

The Lorraine Campaign

Siegfried Line Campaign

The Ardennes

Contains the best maps I ever seen in a book.

Great data on the positions on troops on various dates.You could find most of these books in secondhand shops if youre lucky.I was.

G-D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by streamkeeper:

Stepen E. Ambrose "Citizen Solider" covers the same portion of the war as CM. Great complimentary book for the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am re-reading it right now because I bought CM last week. I am up to the Siegfried Line portion and its material makes for some great scenarios.

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

I am reading Len Deighton's "Blitzkrieg". It deals with the rise of Hitler and the first part of the war up to Dunkirk. Mostly just a FYI type book, but it does go into detail about the types of tanks they built (PzKw II - PzKw IV), different types of weapons(artillery, FLAK, etc.), and some tactics and strategy about tank warfare. It talks about why certain tanks have different guns, etc. Pretty good read.

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu