I'm new to this game!

Guest Moiety

Best thing to do is download the gold demo found on the main page. Other then that, check out the FAQ's and enjoy the reading smile.gif

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

First of all, whacked out name dude.

Well, this game simulates squad-level WWII tactical combat on a 3D battlefield. Combat Mission {CM} has redefined the strategy game. Instead of the "I go, you go" system, commonly referred to as the "IGO-UGO" system, CM uses what we call a "turn-based/simultaneous execution" system. What this means is that the game is "paused" while both sides plot their moves/orders. And then after that, the computer calculates the turn and then it shows a 60 second movie in real-time that is just a visual reference of what happened. You can not issue orders at this time. But the great thing about the movie is that you can rewind and play back any part you want from any angle that you want.

Within this movie, there are tracers and explosions galore, men shouting and screaming for their mommies, tanks exploding and buildings collapsing.

The Line of Sight (LOS) rules are very dependant to the lay of the 3D land. The ballistics aree very accurate. The armour penetration models are very accurate down to the particular hull/turret side and are based on "x size of shell, hitting an y thickness of armor, at z angle, and so on".

So what you have here is the most accurate WWII tactical combat simulation of all time.

------------------

"When in doubt...shell."

Hey Ol' Blood and Guts what do you think

Gen. Patton would think of our modern

Army hehe.

Haven't you heard? The Army's song has been changed from "The Army goes rolling along" to "Nothing you can say can take me away from my Guy!" And I for one think its about time!

Definately worth the download. In a nutshell:

Basic skills. 1. Left click on unit.

2. Right click on unit or hit space bar to bring up orders menu.

3. Select Order.

4. Paint the order on the 3D map with your mouse. Note game options menu can be pulled up by clicking on the hotkeys icon.

Sound simple? It is!, (well at least 'till the enemy starts shooting back).

Basic Game Concept:

Look at the map. If you're on the defensive guess where the enemy will come from - cover those routes. If you're on the offensive think of how you're going to take the objective. Give your guys orders to execute that plan. Just remember to take it one step at a time. The deer in these woods shoot back!

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tyro:

G*L, Are u sure your in the right forum?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His profile says he's into wargaming, and he's asking about the game. I'd have to assume he was in the right forum.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Oh Lord, all we need now is for Fionn to get in here and speak his mind. rolleyes.gif

armorbuff, I totally agree. Oh wait! What do you mean by "And I for one think it's about time!"??

------------------

"When in doubt...shell."

Guest Offwhite

For crying out loud, not again. OBG, wasn't it about three weeks ago that you apologized to the forum members as a group for just this kind of remark? Kinda hard to believe the sincerity of that post when I see this stuff.

Way to go, guys, great way to welcome a newcomer.

Interesting point Berli...with the exception of Steel Panthers (the 1st one). I don't think I have ever spent as much time on a computer game as I have on CM...Maybe Myst and Riven...I did spend tons of time on them...No bottom line time spent has to be CM.

------------------

"Tryin to be so so bad is bad enough, don't make me laugh by talkin tough" EC

Guest Big Time Software

Welcome!

Obviously I shouldn't comment on CM since all I am going to say is it is worth the download wink.gif

Well, I gotta say that I first throught this was going to be a Troll posting based on the username. But it isn't the first legit username that has raised a few eyebrows. So long as the style of the postings sticks to what this BBS is about (er... CM smile.gif), and the name itself isn't some sort of abusive statement, I don't have a problem with people's choice of usernames.

I'm also not going to padlock this one up so long as people just stick to the real topic of this thread, which means Combat Mission smile.gif

Steve

Steve, you're absolutely correct. I too, when I first saw this post, got a strong whiff of troll. Interior Decorator, San Francisco, Gay*Lover, but as long as the posts are OT then it's fine by me. Speaking of OT smile.gif and to address the question originally posed, I think the methodology of the game has been explained well enough. While it's not perfect (nothing is) it's the best tactical WW2 ground game I've seen, and I've been playing organized wargames since 1969. Set it up to DL overnight and you won't be sorry, it's a great game.

Joe

Not that I want to give BTS any ideas, but they probably could have released VOT as a solo game and we would all be happy until the expansion pack (er, CM) came out! smile.gif

Seriously, it is an excellent game, which will pull you away from *all* your Lovers.

By the way, GL has a real email address, unlike our little troll Tosmart.

Jonathan

I have to ask, what is a troll? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freyland:

Not that I want to give BTS any ideas, but they probably could have released VOT as a solo game and we would all be happy until the expansion pack (er, CM) came out! smile.gif

Seriously, it is an excellent game, which will pull you away from *all* your Lovers.

By the way, GL has a real email address, unlike our little troll Tosmart.

Jonathan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My only thought is what kinda handle is that? I mean...who can really take you seriously with a name like that? Sheesh...you dont see anyone running around calling themselves hetero*lover do ya?

Im not interested in your sexual preferences so keep the name to yourself.

I know this isnt the place for my thoughts but this isnt the place for it. KnowwhatImean?

-Not ready to jump on the politically correct bandwagon.

Signed,

TeAcH (The bigot)

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 05-27-2000).]

Guest Username:

Well.. 'troll' is a convenient word that is slapped on anyone that is not a fawning sychophant. Also anyone controversial or of an independant way of thinking. Its just a trite way for online nazis to compartmentalize people. Not everyone needs to like everyone. We are all different.

As for g*lover (oh get real with the san fran/interior decorator stuff), I could care less. His Topic 'Im new to this game' is wierd since he says he hasnt DLed yet.

Look. I aint no brain surjin but I detect a strong whiff of Fionn here. Fess up Fionn. Its you and we all know it.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username::

Well.. 'troll' is a convenient word that is slapped on anyone that is not a fawning sychophant. Also anyone controversial or of an independant way of thinking. Its just a trite way for online nazis to compartmentalize people. Not everyone needs to like everyone. We are all different.

As for g*lover (oh get real with the san fran/interior decorator stuff), I could care less. His Topic 'Im new to this game' is wierd since he says he hasnt DLed yet.

Look. I aint no brain surjin but I detect a strong whiff of Fionn here. Fess up Fionn. Its you and we all know it.

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gentleman I present for your examination a Troll. Of special relevance is the unconnected and spurious attack upon another in the last paragraph. Of course it must be understood that the victim of this attack had the impudence to disagree with the ramblings of a man with “VETERAN SPECIAL POWERS OF OMNISCIENTS”.

I sincerely hope that I will have the strength to not feed the troll in the future. I also hope that just maybe, my special veteran powers will start ticking over……………… any time now, any time.

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 05-27-2000).]

Geeze Lewis isn't it about time for your meds? First you post some very good, insightful comments about the game that I, for one, really appreciated. Then you go off like this:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well.. 'troll' is a convenient word that is slapped on anyone that is not a fawning sychophant. Also anyone controversial or of an independant way of thinking. Its just a trite way for online nazis to compartmentalize people. Not everyone needs to like everyone. We are all different.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you are well aware, "troll" is a very common and widely accepted description for someone who posts with the sole intention of stirring things up without actually saying anything useful. It's usually done anonymously or using an untraceable alias (and yes, I know that GL has an email, but it's a hotmail address after all.)

And just because we don't agree with you on everything doesn't make us "fawning sychophants" or "nazis". It's not necessary to be a flaming jerk in order to make your points. And finally ...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Look. I aint no brain surjin but I detect a strong whiff of Fionn here. Fess up Fionn. Its you and we all know it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are either (1) a complete idiot for actually believing this, (2) trying to be funny and not having a clue how to pull it off or (3) practicing your own trolling skills. "Fess up".

Joe