Wow, Squad Leader is amazingly horrible...

Like many of you, I was a fan of Squad Leader. So expecting something mediocre from Hasblo/Microprose, I picked up Squad Leader and...

I cannot even begin to say how horrible the graphics are, and terrible the gameplay. My mediocre expectations were waaayyyy too high. Has anyone else tried this game?

On a 1 Gig AMD Thunderbird it was painfully slow, and nothing was happening!!

Please has anyone else tried this? If you cannot take it back to the purchase store, save yourself and don't even try it. That's why there is no demo for it. Close Combat 1 is better, and Combat Mission of course is in its own gold league.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a damn shame when a computer company takes a legendary game and makes a mockery of it. I never played ASL but I have been playing games long enough(I own a ton of old TSR games and the like)to know how repected it is. You'd expect more from Microprose! They are not what they used to be. Well in fairness Since Combat Mission has come into my life there aren't a whole lot of Companies out there that are what they used to be! biggrin.gif

Mord

P.S What the hell is Hasbro doing making wargames anyway! that's Milton Bradley's job!

Guest barrold713

Even if was remotely interested in purchasing the game after all of the bad press I have seen here and elsewhere, I would surely wait the 2 weeks until it shows up in the bargain area or in the used game bin.

It certainly appears that the market place is going to be sending a "Dear John" letter to Hasbro for letting loose such a turkey.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Funny thing is, I haven't found a demo for the game anywhere online. I just wanted to take it for a spin and see what all the hubub is about.

But I guess if I was selling a product as abyssmal as SL apparently is, I wouldn't be flaunting it too much either...

If you want an idea of Squad Leader go to the bargin bin and pick up a copy of warhammer40k chaos gate game. Uses the same engine and chaos gate is like a couple of years old. Someone in marketing smelled a quick easy profit using the SL name and a pretty box. The newly released game of Squad Leader by hasbro (hasbin) is a good argument for lemon-laws for games. I'll never buy any hasbro product ever again.

Adding them to my personal black list of games makers.

-john

Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Funny thing is, I haven't found a demo for the game anywhere online. I just wanted to take it for a spin and see what all the hubub is about.

LOL! I couldn't find any screenshots. That really says something.

Thank you for the warning. I was one who was watching for this game to come out and posted a couple of messages on reviews and release dates. I've been looking for it at the local software dealer but have'nt seen it on the shelf yet. This is one game I will pass on if it's as bad as you say.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpinard:

Any of you play Falcon 4.0? We all hate Hasbro from that debacle. I don't understand why they bought Microprose just to drive them into the ground.

Now Microprose will never have any respect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I played Falcon 4.0, for awhile. I am worried about what is going to happen to B-17II. I am really looking forward to that game and I heard that it has been delayed.

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

Guest MantaRay

Well since it uses the Soldiers @ War engine, how much could ya expect? And buying a game that you think is at best mediorcre, is beyond me. $45 could go to far better use IMO.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

I'll never buy any hasbro product ever again.

Adding them to my personal black list of games makers.

-john<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey,

Hmmm, that excludes a lot of stuff. Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast, and thus, TSR now as well as the Pokemon franchise, etc... Hard to avoid them anymore if you like games.

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?

To the guy who stated not to blow $45...

Actually I set my expectations low so I would not be disappointed. Geez, big surprise!!

I have a great deal with Electronics Boutique here. I buy tons of games and they let me bring anything back. No worries about purchases is nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpinard:

Any of you play Falcon 4.0? We all hate Hasbro from that debacle. I don't understand why they bought Microprose just to drive them into the ground.

Now Microprose will never have any respect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee whiz...I remember when I had my old Atari 1040, I would buy any game that had the Microprose name on it, no questions asked. Out of 10 games or so, I only remember 1 that I actually took back to the store. And out of the other 9, there were titles like Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Red October, Silent Service, and Microprose Golf. For me, Microprose was synonymous with quality. From someone who loves video games, all I can say is, what a damm shame to see a respected name dragged through the mud like this. RIP Microprose. I still remember your Golden Age.

DeanCo--

With any big company product my policy is very simple:

1) I wait the review as many products are now released more or less in unfinished state.

2) Whatever the subject, I prefer to buy from a small company than from a big one, as I know games will have less "design compromises" whose some would like for CM...

Its depressing and pathetic. SL/ASL was *such* a great game, and I spent decades playing it. Now under the stellar leadership of HASBRO we get to enjoy total crap.

--

Gewaltige Naturen mit starker Eigenpersönlichkeit darf man nicht aus der Umbung reissen, die ihren Rythmus angenommen hat. . . .In diesem Falle besteht die Gefahr, que du sublime au ridicule il n’y a qu’un pas

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lassner.1:

Its depressing and pathetic. SL/ASL was *such* a great game, and I spent decades playing it. Now under the stellar leadership of HASBRO we get to enjoy total crap.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fortunately for the ASL faithful, Hasbro had enough sense to turn over its continued development to the MMP group. They may be slow, but the game system continues to grow.

The closest thing to an ASL-like computer game is, without a doubt, CM. smile.gif Kudos to BTS for doing it right!!

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Yeah, I'd seen a preview and was saddened, but fortunately that was after I discovered CM and didn't bother to invest in attempting verification. In point of fact, and I do not wish to ignite any flame war over comparisions here, but as an old SL/ASL player, CM "IS" Squad Leader to me. It's as close as anyone has managed to get on the PC anyway, to both the interface and the overall feel of SL. I really cannot imagine how one could get any closer. Oh, sure there are improvements that can be made to CM, and I rather expect we'll see them in CM2, but speaking from the standpoint of a radical redesign of some sort, I believe what we have here in front of us with CM, is infact the SL we were all yearning for, for so many years. It's just that it snuck up on most of us. When I first saw the CM Review at Computer Games Online, and a screen shot, I thought to myself, nah, it couldn't be. To my amazement when I finally got CM and began to play it, it became obvious to me that this "WAS" the old game that I had dearly loved from so many years ago, ultimately improved and modernized. I need look no further, except ofcourse until CM2 is announced.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

Actually, I was rather impressed by Falcon 4.

Then again, I tend not to play flight sims that much.. Considering I started out with Tomahawk for the Spectrum 48K. (four colors, wire-frame graphics...).. And the 'Viewlock' decoder system. -That- was a joy...

NTM

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

but as an old SL/ASL player, CM "IS" Squad Leader to me. It's as close as anyone has managed to get on the PC anyway, to both the interface and the overall feel of SL. I really cannot imagine how one could get any closer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good God, you read my mind! As I was scrolling through this thread, I kept thinking, "to me, Combat Mission IS Comp ASL." In my book, that is the highest praise, as I have nothing but fond memories of the countless hours I spent hunched over those beloved SL/ASL maps.

I kept hoping that somehow the Hasbro/Microprose Squad Leader would turn out to be a good game ~ something along the lines of 101st ABN in Normandy. Oh well, gives me more time for CM.

Thanks for the heads up jpinard!

------------------

Homer: [gulps] I suppose you want to probe me. Well, might as well get it over with. [unzips his pants]

Kang: [disgusted] Stop! We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us.