Wow, Squad Leader is amazingly horrible...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is indeed being made by Microsoft, and is in the beta stage. Comming along nicely I may add...

Rune

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpinard:

Hey Turretring. Mechwarrior 4 is being produced in-house by Microsoft, not Microprose. So you can buy it with confidence when it is released.

I'm looking forward to it also.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

He had to attend the academy in complete silence since no other cadet, and no bottom rank professor spoke to him during his entire 4 years even to say something nasty.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand how this was possible. I can understand that he would have been resented at that time (and it is amazing he got in given the political appointment system the academies still use) but how could no one have addressed him at all? Who told him when to be in formation? Who told him what uniform to wear? Did no one chew him out when he was late to formation? Part of being a cadet is knowing trivial information and regurgitating it upon demand. No one asked him anything? No one corrected him when his uniform looked like crap?

CNET gave Squad Leader a 4 out 10.

"The poor graphics lack the visual realism of something like Combat Mission yet also fail to capture the "miniatures at war" effect of Rising Sun."

doh!

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RMC:

I don't understand how this was possible. I can understand that he would have been resented at that time (and it is amazing he got in given the political appointment system the academies still use) but how could no one have addressed him at all? Who told him when to be in formation? Who told him what uniform to wear? Did no one chew him out when he was late to formation? Part of being a cadet is knowing trivial information and regurgitating it upon demand. No one asked him anything? No one corrected him when his uniform looked like crap?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, let me add the first black graduate of West Point was actually Henry O. Flipper, class of 1877. Collin Powell kept a picture of Flipper on his desk for his entire career. Flipper was an outstanding calvary officer, but ran into a "son of the old south" in 1881 who railroaded him on what was, even in that day, considered flimsy evidence.

The person we are talking about is Benjamin O. Davis Jr. Be careful in looking for his records because his father was also an Army officer, just not USMA. The one I am talking about is the Tuskegee Airman who recently, in retirement, was awarded his 4th Star.

How was he given the silent treatment? He was just ignored, removed from the support system, and otherwise setup for failure. While many of his fellow students spoke to him after graduation, a small group was able to keep them from speaking to him at all (and even intimidate junior faculty) in the academy. Davis though was a tough, smart SOB who still was able to graduate against all odds.

I believe the "silencing" that he endured involved not having a room mate, omission of important corrections, being forced to eat meals alone, and not being allowed to study with other students. I only heard the story in a discussion with Senator John McCain on CSPAN, so my data is weak.

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 11-03-2000).]