What other computer games do we all play? (Poll)

I was just wondering what everyone's taste in computer games is in here. What are/were your favorites and such?

I am mostly into realistic wargames, like CM of course, the CC series, and the Panzer General series.

I also like multiplayer thinking games, not big deathmatches. For those I enjoy Rainbow Six, Tribes, Team Fortress, and Chain of Command (free WWII multiplayer game, go to www.2am.com)

I also was REALLY into Ultima Online. I had a gigantic guild of murderers, looters, thieves, scammers, sadists and other unsavory sorts. We used to terrorize the mining trade near one town. We forced players to pay us to use public mines or else we would massacre them. Gotta love hunting non-combat players:PThat game WAS a hoot, (until they changed it recently to get rid of ALL player on player violence, robbing, etc. Making it CareBear land, thus, I quit and started CM)

One gem of a game that I canno find any more is Syndicate Wars, by Bullfrog. That IMO is one of the best games ever made.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy Talonsoft's West Front, and Rising sun (one of the few games covering the Pacific war). I also like Sid Meiers's Gettysburg, and Antietam. I play Rogue Spear urban Ops. I like Janes WWII Fighters as well. But for now, all im playing is CM.

------------------

Semper Fi.

I play a little of everything. Civ, X-Com: UFO Defense, Jagged Alliance 2 and Star Control 2 stand out in my mind as some of the best. I play more Civ-like games than I do wargames... Sid Meier's Gettysburg has been my favorite wargame, until CM.

I do feel the need for a little action now and then. Unreal Tournament and Carmageddon usually satisfy those urges, and I break out the old joystick for a good space sim from time to time. Can't stand real-time strategy games, although I did play through Starcraft.

Syndicate and Syndicate Wars were excellent games, but for whatever reason the latter got bad press. I thought it was much better than the original. Nuclear Grenades and those satelite strikes you could call in were a riot! I could never get past the final missions though, where losing one agent was a loss.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

[This message has been edited by Daveman (edited 08-04-2000).]

I loved the Syndicate Wars atmosphere, plus it had a good story, and it just looked DAMN cool. Another plus were the HUNDREDS of civilians running around that got in the crossfires between the agents. But soemtimes if there were no armed people around, I'd whip out the flamethrower and go to town on those little screaming bastards. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! I also loved how you could completely demolish any building and how the vehicles crashed really nice, into buildings blowing them up. My favorite was planting High Explosives in the police station and then causing a ruckus to get them all to come out, right when it blows up!

Hmmm, well I was in an online squadron (AE71) in EAW for a while, I loved Red Baron 3D.

Heroes of Might and Magic series was an old standard. Master of Magic. Any game with good reviews.

As far as Wargaming, I only started this hobby AFTER I got my 1st computer (1995), so it started with Panzer General and Steel Panthers. PG2 was a good game, too, but when I found the Campaign series and TOAOW I pretty much just played those for 2 years.

The Close Combat games never really worked for me. Too much clicking and scrolling, maybe?

Silent Hunter, System Shock 1 & 2, Achtung Spitfire, Age of Kings, Mig Alley. Others.

I've played just about anything related to WWII, from hex-based strategic titles, to CC I to III, to flight and tank sims. Also played a couple ACW games.

I also played some strategy titles (Caesar II-III, Civ II, a little of the warcrafts and C&C), Rogue Spear, Half-Life, and my favorite 1st person games- Thief I&II. I can heartily recommend the last two to anyone who likes thinking games rather than shooters. Both of the Thief titles are outstanding.

And back when they used to make some good ones, I absolutely loved adventure games. You name it, I played it. For awhile several years ago, that and wargames was all I ever played. Adventure is surely a genre that has lost more of its luster than even wargames.

My favourites are: CM, Half Life, AOE2, CC Series, Madden and NHL, Silent Hunter, Panzer Elite, Delta Force, EAW, Mig Alley, and the General series. I hate roleplaying games with a passion, and do enjoy UT now and then.

I play CM. And when I'am not playing CM I turn to Shogun Total War. Fumble a little round, getting my a(beep beep) kicked, then I turn to CM again. Before CM, I played CM gold demo and before that, guess what - I played CM demo. I think that I can find at least three games on my shelve that I had only played once. They are good games like Freespace II, FS2000, Pharaoh and Rogue Spear but all as one they came in secound line. The only game that I had played hard before CM was Talonsoft's West Front which I played with a friend pbem.

Henrik Malmvig

Buddy, Bugie was bought by Microsoft, and I beleve halo has been placed on hold. There is a piece on it in theSept issue of PC Gamer, Page 40. I was also looking forward to Halo, and was sad to read it.

------------------

Semper Fi.

I don't play anything else. Close Combat annoys me. The last game I bought was Carmageddon II, but it's mindless so I'm selling it (and it's a hardware-devouring monster too).

Besides CM, the one game I really like is Marathon (same as buddy). However, I'm not planning on buying Halo, since Bungie sold out to Micro$oft.

David

In the last year mainly "Railroad Tycoon II", "Rollercoaster Tycoon", "Majesty" and "Age of Empires II". Some "Twelve O'Clock High: Bombing the Reich". Over 4th of July vacation a group of us did about 3/5ths of "Diablo II".

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.

Well, CM is basically it right now. The only other thing I play regularly is Chessmaster 6000.

Games I am eagerly awaiting are Baldur's Gate II and Crammond's 3rd Grand Prix racing game, but they're a long way off luckily.

p.

Fav computer games of the past:

Civ2

Pirates

Sid Meier's Gettysburg

X-Com (original)

Close Combat (original)

Theme Hospital

Railroad Tycoon2

Rainbow 6

Rogue Spear

Quake (original)

Half Life

European Air War

Masters of Orion (original)

Wing Commander

Descent: Freespace

Age of Empires (original)

Games currently installed:

Civ2

Half-Life: Counterstrike 6.6

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarhead:

Buddy, Bugie was bought by Microsoft, and I beleve halo has been placed on hold. There is a piece on it in theSept issue of PC Gamer, Page 40. I was also looking forward to Halo, and was sad to read it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Halo has not been put on hold, however rumours fly that it will not be appearing on the X-Box. Instead, it would remain a Mac / PC game as intended. I don't quite understand it as Halo would have been a boost to the X-Box (which has no major titles announced).

Other than CM, I play a game similar in scope (but no comparison) called FIREFIGHT. Western front WWII with ten "units" (armor or squad). I think of it like the old MicroGames - highly abstracted, but it plays really fast - 15-30 minutes per game, start to finish.

I like games where my action matter.

Secret Weapons of Luftwaffe - was a great game. Huge strategic level.

X-Com: UFO Defense (there is still no game like it!, you can't blow up the walls in new "look-like" x-com games)

CloseCombat 3 is good multiplayer.

StarFleet Command would be great if their "Dynaverse" worked

Shogun:Total War is fun even if AI cheats.

Planescape Tourment is quite interesting.