What other computer games do we all play? (Poll)

Recently bought WarlordsBattlecry, which looks excellent. Now if I could only tear myself away from CM... Probably would help if I would stop offering PBEM games.

Very big on strategy games, preferably Turn-based (X-com rocks), but some RTS (AOE II, Tzar, Total Annihilation) Looking forward to Space Empires IV, Dreamland Chronicles. Lords of Magic Special Edition vies with X-com and MOO II as all time favorites, after CM.

Jonathan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disaster wrote:

> Halo has not been put on hold, however rumours fly that it will not be appearing on the X-Box. Instead, it would remain a Mac / PC game as intended.

If Halo doesn't appear on XBox, I'm a monkey's uncle. I thought that was half the reason M$ bought Bungie. However, all their work on Halo so far has been for the Mac/PC, so I can understand why it might be remotely conceivable that they wouldn't try porting it to XBox.

The controversy was whether Halo would appear on the Mac and PC at all. We all reckoned it would be XBox first, and then a delayed release for everyone else, if at all. Bungie were refusing to confirm it would still be coming out for Mac, which was pretty ominous. Alex Seropian confirmed it at Macworld Expo, though. I found it rather galling that he actually thanked M$ for allowing him to show a trailer for the game.

David

These days, I seem to play CM and not a lot else, except for a bit of Diablo II now and then. Plus I still boot up StarCraft every once in a while, just to shake a bit of the rust off.

At various points in the past, I've spent anywhere from a "fair amount of time" to a "major amount of time" on these:

On the Amiga (Yep, I'm that old):

Falcon

Populous

Gemstone III on GEnie

SimCity

On the PC:

Civilization

Steel Panthers

Close Combat II

Panzer General

Diablo

And finally, in a time-sucking-where-did-my-life-go class all it's own... (drum roll please):

StarCraft

Papa

Hmmmm Steel Panthers 1 & 2, the Close Combat Series, Hadnt heard anyone mention Laser Squad for a long time!!! (I still have my copy), Total Annihilation and its sequels (we play it after hours at the office on the LAN), Halflife for sure, Delta Force, and Unreal. Am looking forward to goofing around with Sudden Strike, unless EIDOS guts it. Am hoping that MicroSoft dosent screw us PC types over by only publishing Halo for the X-Box. With all that said, I AM STILL PLAYING CM AT LEAST THREE HOURS A NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MWWWAAAAAAH HAHAHAHAHA biggrin.gif

Red Baron 3d with the mods available from the folks that post on Delphi. That game has been a regular feature for me since I bought it 1 day after it was in the stores.

Loved Baldurs Gate and looking forward to the sequel.

I tried several times but I could never get into EAW because the campaign just seemed too repetitive.

Hidden and Dangerous made for a nice diversion.

I bought Terminus but haven't gotten into it yet (it had the bad fortune of coming out around the same time as CM <g>).

I bought Panzer Elite but it seems more of a "Wing Commander" type RPG than a real simulation of WWII combat.

Hi all

Dont you just love polls smile.gif

Other PC games which vy for my time with CM are :

East/West Fronts and Rising Sun

European Air War

Panzer Commander

SM Gettytsburg

BG Waterloo/NIR and Bulge

Close Combat II/III & IV

Swat 3

Age Of Empires I & II

Mech Warrior 3

I used to play a lot more but have cut back a tad smile.gif

As a sub-poll how many of you chaps play/have played Board Wargames (SL/ASL/PB/PL etc)? I own about 70+ but cant remember last time I played one !

Also do any play using Miniatures (big in UK) ?

I am still very active in this regard (in fact playing a 15mm WWII game tomorrow)

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

Guest Rollstoy

Games I actually bought:

Syndicate Wars (still impressive!)

Close Combat II

Half-Life (bargain bin)

Unreal (bargain bin)

Close Combat IV

Combat Mission I

Waiting to find Homeworld in bargain bin ...

Happy Gaming,

Thomm

CM

Icewind Dale

Rouge Spear (Ops add on)

Pz. Elite

EAW

Waiting for:

CM2

Steel Beasts

B-17 2

IL2 Strurmovik

Pools of Radience? 2 Myth Drannor,

Baldurs Gate 2

Dungeon Siege.

Regards, John Waters

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-04-2000).]

CM is it for now.

Mark IV: I thought I was the only other "person" who ever played Perfect General.

I could never get Elvis to play because it was so cheesey looking.

Peng

------------------

A Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single gunshot wound to the foot.

Sigh, where to begin. I have a whole closetfull of games, but I never get around to them. I don't get to CM as much as I want and if I can't play CM enough, why would I want to play any others?

For the record, Panzer General was the first game I ever played all the way through- well, after Team Yankee, which most people here will not recognize.

Mostly I enjoy war games, and I have all the

Campaign games - East FrontII and West Front and would like to complete them if I ever get time.

I have played a few flight sims, but have completed none and currently own none. I do enjoy the occasional tank sim, but the original M1A1 was the only one that held my attention long -- after Team Yankee of course. I even sold Panzer Elite due to some bugs and problems.

I do enjoy some RTS games, especially the Blizzard games - Warcraft II and Starcraft. I was ranked for a while in the Starcraft ladder, until the cheaters and whiners got to be too much to take.

The last game I played much before CM was Age of Kings, which I still recommend as fun for history buffs. If I ever do play any game other than CM, it is AOK.

Gettysburgh was fun, as was Myth, and both were in their own way breakthrough games.

I am not much of a fast twitch player, and while I did play Doom through, I also sold Half-Life before completing it.

Guest Mirage2k

I'm sensing a disturbing amount of polls appearing on the board....whatever, I'm game!

I'm into strategy (turn-based and real-time) and sims, mostly, with the occasional FPS. So here's a list:

Alpha Centauri, Civ II, Quake 2, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six, Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal, Marathon Infinity, Falcon 4.0, F/A-18 Hornet 3.0, A-10 Attack!, Myth II, and Warcraft II (sometimes).

Now I spend more of my time hanging around here and throwing news up on the web for Sieger's Post...

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

[This message has been edited by Mirage2k (edited 08-04-2000).]

"Team Yankee, which most people here will not recognize."

Yer not getting away with that, EXCELLENT game, my memory is fuzzy but wasnt that an ST game rather than PC? My memory is rather fuzzy these days, after "Oids" and "Alternate Reality" i cant remember where the atari ended and my PC days began 8)

When I'm too blasted to give a my opponents a fair showing I'll play infantry (free online large multiplayer sci fi)

Chain of Command was fun for a bit but they're still using the same 3 maps from 2 years ago. I can't play it anymore!

I'll probably buy unfinished business when it comes out (add on for Jagged Alliance 2)

CM really has my gaming interest covered. Sure I'll check other stuff out but I don't think it'll be surpased for a while.

The big three permanent residents on my HD are X-COM: UFO Defense, Red Baron 3D (with Flanders Fields and the Promised Land mods), and Daggerfall (the only CRPG I'll touch and one I can't let go of either).

Current fancies include Terminus (Sort of Privateer or Elite but focusing on a dynamic setting and realistic elements of story and physics), King of Dragon Pass (very intelligent if not flashy fantasy strategy-RPG title from A-Sharp), and Shogun.

Newest obsession? Probably Combat Mission but I've just gotten it! My first random mission was a blast - night, fog, a mechanized Panzergrenadier platoon up against the unknown opposition...and all hell broke loose!

Yes. I think I'm going to love this one. Excellent idea the random scenarios though I just wish you could string them together into a bit of a campaign (ala Across The Rhine or something). Maybe not realistic but it could be fun. wink.gif

I have mainly played RTS games, and some Turn-based strategy.

Also have played most of the genres, rpg, fps.

I am playing CM mostly also Diablo2,got to have alittle one against many hand to hand killing. smile.gif

Am also playing Warlords Battlecry, and finally am going to start Civ2, hopefully.

------------------

-kill 'em all and let God sort them out-

Well being a Mac guy the best Mac games I have played are starting 8/4/00 -back:

CM (this game kicks butt) biggrin.gif

Warbirds cool.gif

Unreal (Both) tongue.gif

Rainbow 6 smile.gif

Myth (Both) biggrin.gif

F18 smile.gif

Falcon smile.gif

And the old genie Air Warrior eek.gif

Big Dog

I know too many smilies smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 08-04-2000).]

I'm convinced that all the polls are actually part of MadBot's master-plan. Once he gathers enough demographic information on us he'll be ready to make his move.

But what the heck... Who am I to toss a wrench into the cogs of MadBot's maniacal war-machine? Besides... unbeknownst to Madbot, his schemes are actually working to further MY master-plan! <insert evil laugh here>...

OK, OK...

My favorite games (in no particular order) :

Combat Mission

SU-27 Flanker 2.0

Falcon 4.0

Shogun

Stars!

Master of Orion II

Ground Control

Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption

*IX*Angela Deth

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *IX*Angela Deth:

unbeknownst to Madbot, his schemes are actually working to further MY master-plan! <insert evil laugh here>...

*IX*Angela Deth<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gaaaa....wheels within wheels...conspiracy.....don't mess with my mind, Angela.

Mace (immune as he doesn't have one)!

Oh, btw,

CM (not yet, but soon, I hope)!

West Front, West Front

TOAW 1 & 2

SPWAW

Rainbow6

EAW

Longbow2

F-15

Falcon 4

M1TP2

Panzer Elite

Stars!

Master of Orion 2

Master of Magic

Civ 2

Alpha Centuri

Fallout

Fallout2

Jagged Alliance 2

Earthsiege 2

Mace

For the last 3 years I guess the only computer game I have played is Myth (I and II). II is more of an extension of I than a new game, but it's a great game. Number one in me book. Great Tolkien like atmosphere.

It has lots of variety in gameplay, but nothing to prepare me for the truly devious tricks/traps/ambushes/blunders that are possible in CM.

Liked warcraft, but didn't dig the base management/building thing. Too much of a click fest for me.

Liked Marathon (used to play afterwork deathmatches at the office and get slaughtered by the programmers) but otherwise not fond of first person shooters.

Looking forward to seeing a new civ game and Myth III. Black and White sounds interesting.

kunstler