What tank do YOU think is best?

Keep in mind, fellas, the Russians are not a part of this thread. If so, I may have to move from the Panther to the T-34 M43... but, we'll see its iteration in the game I hope.

And this is all LATE war stuff. The Stuart is one of the BEST early war American tanks.

The French B1-Bis is the best 1940 tank in the war. German armor couldn't touch it.... too bad the French had no idea how to use it.

:P

------------------

"And if Never Have

You Should,

These Things are Fun

And Fun is Good."

-Dr. Suess

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind, fellas, the Russians are not a part of this thread. If so, I may have to move from the Panther to the T-34 M43... but, we'll see its iteration in the game I hope.

And this is all LATE war stuff. The Stuart is one of the BEST early war American tanks.

The French B1-Bis is the best 1940 tank in the war. German armor couldn't touch it.... too bad the French had no idea how to use it.

:PKeep in mind, fellas, the Russians are not a part of this thread. If so, I may have to move from the Panther to the T-34 M43... but, we'll see its iteration in the game I hope.

:PKeep in mind, fellas, the Russians are not a part of this thread. If so, I may have to move from the Panther to the T-34 M43... but, we'll see its iteration in the game I hope.

:P

------------------

"And if Never Have

You Should,

These Things are Fun

And Fun is Good."

-Dr. Suess

Well, I think you guys are missing one of the better tank-killer tanks in the game. My vote goes to the Sherman V Firefly. Decent high-velocity gun to take out those pesky Panthers. tongue.gif Remember, they give Whittman a run for his money in Villers-Boccage.

I used one to take out a Panther in "Cambois" that was hiding between a couple of small houses. I ran him up a road at full speed to an intersection that put me in a direct side flanking shot. As it got there it spotted the Panther, turned its turret, aimed, and smoked the Panther. biggrin.gif The Panther's slower turret couldn't turn fast enough. LOL!

So there shoots the theory that the Panther is the best tank. Hell, look at the original splash screen, it features a burning Panther.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 11-02-2000).]

My vote goes to the Tiger I, simply because it seems to suit my style of play the best...followed by the Firefly.

Much like a flight sim, the best plane is the one that you feel most comfortable in, not exactly what has the best compression rate or the most armor or firepower. Sometimes it was the ki84, most times (and the best times, eh kitty wink.gif it was in the Wuerger (190a8).

So I think you can debate this all week long, but what are you most comfortable using?

just askin

------------------

-gp

FBM's CM Resource Center

Son: Mom, when I grow up I’m going to play war games for a living.

Mother: Son, you can’t do both.

some guy ;)

I like Marder IIIs. You may think I'm crazy, but they are incredibly cheap, so you can get a lot of firepower at low cost. I usually get 3-4 of them, and have them hunt up a hill, then reverse back in the same turn. Four 75mm AT guns are enough to gaurentee a kill under most circumstances. Granted, their armor is thinner than a cafeteria pork chop, but if you can take out just one sherman for each two marders lost, you're still breaking even on points.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Guest MantaRay

I would say the awesome King Tiger, exceot for one thing I have noticed. I may be seeing things a lot, but whenever I buy a KT, they always seem to have their guns knocked out. Had a Greyhound do it from 600 yards the other day. Boy was I pissed.

But I have to say that in terms of all factors, the Sherman 76W+ is the best value in the game.

Ray

Ooh I love those Churchills. Ugly buggers, but the APs bounce of its hide like rubber! Just the psychological effect alone on your enemy is invaluable.

If you can handle its appalling rate of speed, that is.. shinner.gif

------------------

"I like a man who grins when he fights."

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill

Jeez you guys have no idea do you. The Hotchkiss H39 of course! Stylish, combines speed with a gun that can penetrate pretty much any soldiers flesh from any angle, umbelievable armour and to top it off, built by the French. What more could you ask for? rolleyes.gif

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Steve to Combat Mission community:

"If it's not in Combat Mission it never happened in reality"... nah that's not what I meant

"If it's not in Combat Mission then the chances of it happening were miniscule"... hmmm, not quite

"If it's not in Combat Mission then we didn't have the resources to code it"... rats, we've employed more people now

"If it's not in Combat Mission, STIFF SH*T!"... yeh, that's what I meant to say :)

My vote has to go with the Panther. Yes, the KT is a more formidable tank in terms of armor and firepower. But the mobility and cost of the Panther neutralize those advantages in my mind.

Still, I must admit that I am influenced by my belief that the Panther was the finest tank of WWII. Sure, the T-34 was probably the most important tank of the war. But it had too many disadvantages to rank as the Panther's equal.

Note: Whoops failed to recognize that cost should not be factor. That probably shifts the balance toward the KT.

[This message has been edited by jgdpzr (edited 11-02-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Medieval:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll have an uphill struggle finding takers on this statement, I am sure. One-man turret, 75mm low velocity gun with almost no traverse, I'd rather take my chances in a Panzer IV short or a Panzer III w/37mm gun thank you very much. Or even a Matilda II.

In CM, it depends on the job at hand. The best alrounder is the Commonwealth tank platoon with 3 Sherman 75 and one Firefly.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a>

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Why doesn't any body agree with me?!?

The Sherman Jumbo 76mm!!!

What does the Panther have that it doesn't?

Remember in my inital post I asked for the best all around tank w/o cost being considered!!

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

Why doesn't any body agree with me?!?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you want opinions, or do you want agreement? wink.gif

IMO the Panther is the most balanced tank in the game. I'm not sure I can quantify why, it just feels the most balanced when I'm using it.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Andreas,

Can you buy entire platoons of tanks in CM? I haven't seen the option, but it would be a great feature!

Do you know of any online resources for tank platoons?

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

Can you buy entire platoons of tanks in CM? I haven't seen the option, but it would be a great feature!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you can't buy platoons. In CM, tank platoons are kind of arbitrary, because there is no commanding tank. IMHO this is a good thing, because if you had to use tanks in a platoon, like infantry squads, it would limit their mobility too much and would give the player a narrower range of options.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Gentlemen,

Since the Beta demo, I've had a love affair with the M18 Hellcat, and I consider it one of the best tanks (and my personal favorite) in the game-with its speed, fast turret, and 76 mm (esp w/Tungsten) make it a potent weapon that, if used correctly, can be very deadly.

That being said, I think the best tank I've discovered in the game so far (cost not being an issue) is the M26 Pershing. Just gotta love the thing with the 90mm. But again, its not my favorite. smile.gif