CM Mod Manager

Quite awhile back, a few brits from the Kraits Sq in Air Warrior came up with the idea to create an interface to interchange plane skins for the game. What this does is show you the skin (mod) in a preview screen and give you the opportunity to change to that skin even while the game was running (although not while in flight)

The program unzips your skin/mod and replaces the skin/mod currently recognized by the game.

It also backs up the original game skins/mods prior to any changes, making it easy to "revert" back to normal if needed.

In addition, the Kraits Sq also created a Sound Manager to replace sounds much in the same manner.....also giving previews.

This was the basis for my AWRC (Air Warrior Resource Center) on FurballMag.com and now I house many player created skins.

My latest project is based on the same ideals but geared towards CM.

My question is: If any of you guys are interested in such a utility, I need feedback to take to the programmers to see if they will do such a program for CM. Do you want this?

Now, if a program is already in the works, let me know asap and i'll not approach them.

------------------

-gp

FBM's CM Resource Center

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

Sounds like a bloody good idea, and just what the doctor ordered.

PeterNZ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The purpose of the Air Warrior Scenario manager was to replace plane skins that sucked, terrain that sucked, and sounds that could not, for most people, otherwise be changed back to their original form without time consuming downloads of huge files from Gamestorm (unless you backed them up before hand). Since the original CM stuff can easily be copied back from the CD, what's the point? Oh wait . . . laziness. =)

Kitty =^..^=

Ps - gp, you never responded to me re your request for my comments on CM, gomer. You ever gonna play me or are you too scared, lamer. =P

Yeah, great idea. Would also work great for terrain textures such as burnt/damaged buildings or even special textures for vehicles. Now only if BTS would allow selection different textures for different vehicles and for terrain within the game. If you pull this off let me know. I want the program

MikeT

------------------

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

- Motto of Possum Lodge

Guest Napoleon1944

Yes, the flight sim folks have been doing this for years. EAW and RB II have been completely revamped. I am working on many mods as we speak. I can forsee desert mods soon. It would be nice to have such a program to add in all the desert skins and terrain.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The purpose of the Air Warrior Scenario manager was to replace plane skins that sucked, terrain that sucked, and sounds that could not, for most people, otherwise be changed back to their original form without time consuming downloads of huge files from Gamestorm (unless you backed them up before hand). Since the original CM stuff can easily be copied back from the CD, what's the point? Oh wait . . . laziness. =)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well shoot me for wanting to spare my pc the agony :P

And I'll take ya on, Feline one (gulp)

wink.gif

------------------

-gp

FBM's CM Resource Center

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

Since the original CM stuff can easily be copied back from the CD, what's the point? Oh wait . . . laziness. =)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not laziness, it's called 'automation'. I want to play CM, not muck about with pkzip and c:yaddayaddayadda when I could be playing CM.

This is a good idea, I would like to see one of these also, to the point of working on the specs to write one. I just wish the game had a way you could preview the mods in 3-D. Some kind of batch scripting to the scenario editor and a command line interface would be really cool.

ps. Should I call in sick today so I can stay home and play CM? I really should be in the shower now instead of posting here. Drat! Incoming Conscience Strike! Displace to the salt mines to avoid!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaSCa:

It's not laziness, it's called 'automation'. I want to play CM, not muck about with pkzip and c:yaddayaddayadda when I could be playing CM.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only posted all that because I've known gp for a long time via another game and we always give each other a hard time. =)

Btw, what's "automation?"

Kitty

Ps - If you want to play CM so much what are you doing here? wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaSCa:

... I just wish the game had a way you could preview the mods in 3-D. Some kind of batch scripting to the scenario editor and a command line interface would be really cool.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem w't 3D models to preview is that the wireframes are in the executable where we can't get to them.

I'm working with Matt on some of the "features" of my CM Mod Manager. It should be ready soon.

Here's the features I'm working on:

1. Make it easy to use

2. Make it easy to use

3. Make it easy to use

4. Make it easy to use

5. Make it easy to use

6. Make it pretty.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

I only posted all that because I've known gp for a long time via another game and we always give each other a hard time. =)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure he deserves it. wink.gif Sorry if it sounded like I was being critical.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Btw, what's "automation?"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Automation is making your PC do all the mundane stuff so that your brain remains free to plot losing stategies (in my case, anyway).

Ps - If you want to play CM so much what are you doing here? wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because next to playing CM my favorite thing is reading and writing about playing CM.

I hope this clears everything up. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by CaSCa (edited 10-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TwoSheds:

The problem w't 3D models to preview is that the wireframes are in the executable where we can't get to them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I figured it was something like that. I was thinking of some Rube Goldberg way of generating a scenario file that contained the units that were to be modified, and then launching the game using that scenario. You could then fly around the unit using the game engine. Unfortunately the scenario files seem to be compiled or hashed, I couldn't make sense of them with a text or hex editor, and there is no programmable interface to the engine that I am aware of. Perhaps Steve will write the cm.ocx for us in his spare time. Until then, we will have to make do with the .bmp's and screen shots.

I'm working with Matt on some of the "features" of my CM Mod Manager. It should be ready soon.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am looking forward to seeing what you have wrought.

[This message has been edited by CaSCa (edited 10-20-2000).]