Any info on the CM: the Eastern Front?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grisha:

I eagerly await news about this upcoming game. Any word?

smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When it's ready?

Please note, lots of smilies died a horrid death too brutal for you to contemplate trying to insert themselves into this post, the little buggers, I'll show them...

------------------

Andreas

Actually, I was talking with Steve and Charles a couple of days ago, and they said they are contemplating a change of direction for CM2. Due to a lack of interest in the WW2 Eastern Front, and the potential impact that might have on sales, I hear they are considering other topics to cover for CM2. The Franco-Prussian war of 1870-71 is a stong possibility, as the same terrain tiles used in CM1 (excepting the building tiles, of course) could be ported directly to CM2. Of course, nothing is etched in stone yet, so we'll just have to wait and see. They may decide to go with the Mexican American war instead.

Cheers

Runyan,

Are you sure? When I spoke with them they were very keen on the Punic Wars. It's working title is Carthago, The War Of Elephants and Figs.

They did say that the Eastern Front was a fairly boring and static era so decided to bypass it in favor of a period with more of a broad base appeal.

You are crazy (g).

I "spoke" to the guys today and it's

going to be the birthplace of "firepower" -

Crecy and the Hundred Years War

Imagine all the scenarios in a century

of combat ... get that out and they

can really take a vacation.

- Kinch

Guest Silesian-jaeger

You guys are all liars and geeks. Steve and Charles are my adoptive parents. They clearly promised me that CM2 was going to cover the Warhammer 40,000 epic stuggle between Squats and Gretchin. Idiots!

------------------

"In one (German) town, Private Honey stood next to an

elderly German man and a ten-year-old boy. As the Shermans and brand-new

Pershings rumbled by the boy said,'Deutsches Panzer lind besser.' Honey

looked down at him and asked,'If

German tanks are better,

why aren't they here?' "

quote from Stephen E. Ambrose, "Citizen Soldiers"

[This message has been edited by Silesian-jaeger (edited 09-06-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

Well, *I* got it straight from the janitor who empties the wastebaskets at BTS that the next title is gonna be called "Cain vs. Abel" and is in RT.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vyper:

The Punic Wars: Carthago, The War Of Elephants and Figs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well as much as I would love to have a new CM with our French Foreign Legion (Thanx Vanir) I must say the Punic Wars it will be.

Last time Charles came to visit here in the Land of Free women and Explosive Cheese (unless it's the other way around) he told me it will be based on that period.

But the title you came up with is ridiculous, as Charles said (after being smeared in cheese and overwhelmed by women), the working title is Bring the figs, stuff the pigs.

biggrin.gif

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

how does a Fig fight? I mean they are tasty and all but for a counter attack do they go all fermented in the sun and while your are blasted drunk they start to jump up and down on you? hmm...

actually my uncles brothers son who knows the sister of a girl who dated the brother of the lead programmer uncles son heard that they are designing CM2 around the conflicts of the "Ouiklicktic" tribe (sp?) in Kiwi against the "Hawani" tribe from neighboring islands.. I'm quite excited if this is true because its the first time in combat history where the Hawani tribe used the Unorthodox tatic of using a volcano to wipe out a Ouiklicktic probing force by sacrificing virgins to thier war God "Melvin". buh ey and I though 14" naval guns were nasty.

Mensch, the fig doesn't have to fight but just merely FIT.

biggrin.gif

Could you imagine how uncombative you'd soon be after the use of the dreaded FigStuffer?

Now you'd be glad to have some tree coverage or even some low bushes on your part of the map.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kinch:

Crecy and the Hundred Years War

Imagine all the scenarios in a century

of combat ... get that out and they

can really take a vacation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard this also. They are finally going to include a campaign

mode as well. "Guide your men through hundred years of combat".

I think they are thinking 4 battles/day plus night fighting.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Jarmo wrote:

I heard this also. They are finally going to include a campaign mode as well. "Guide your men through hundred years of combat". I think they are thinking 4 battles/day plus night fighting.

Ahh, that wouldn't work, since there were only a handful of major battles in that war, and BTS knows that grognards would tear the game apart if they put 182500 battles in the Hundred Year War.

Instead, they chose to make a game on the War of the Roses. In particular, they have only one campaign in it, namely, the siege of the Harlech castle. It will be a RTS with 1:1 time scale, with no pause or save game feature (to add realism). The game will come out on April 2001 so we will get the first full-campaign AARs sometime in late 2008.

- Tommi

[This message has been edited by tss (edited 09-06-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

BTS knows that grognards would tear the game apart if they put 182500 battles in the Hundred Year War.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might have used the wrong phrasing.

Of course, in about 99% of the "battles", your men would just be

hanging around in bars, or sleeping at home.

Realism, you see...

Just think of the GASP! -factor, when after 10 years of uneventful

gaming, your men would suddenly be attacked!

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 09-06-2000).]

Nah, you're all wrong. My psychic advisor told me CM2 would model the Hatfields vs. the McCoys. Charles is having a bit of trouble quantifying the effects of inbreeding on fighting effectiveness, but it should be out within a year.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Do you guys reall ythink Steve and Charles are this stupid?

They know a good thing when they see it. How many of copies of CM1 did they sell? Do you think they are going to move away from their cash cow?

CM2 will re-focus on the western front, but at a level of detail and realism that has never before been seen in gaming of any kind. The entire, game, which will comes on a set of 4 CDs (or DVD for those who wish producers commentary, alternate language, etc., etc.) shall focus on the battle from Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks and Co. attack the MG nest on the hill, after Doc has been shot, but before the final grenade was thrown.

Jeff Heidman

P.S. I pity those who actually want answers to their questions on this forum...

This *was* a promising topic....

How on earth can the Eastern Front be considered "not interesting enough"?

Because they are no Americans in it??

The Eastern Front saw huge battles. If anything, the CM engine is not up to such a task.

Blood effects would be a good start

Of all the fronts in WW2, the Eastern Front is by FAR the most interesting. If the Russians advance quickly enough, all of Europe is under Communist control. If the Germans are successful, then possibly every continent bar North and South America is under Nazi control.

There are no bigger stakes than this! The game MUST be made!!

Now Bates you must be joking chap.

Say, why are you not happily stabbing nude customers in their shower while we are trying to help BTS with our sense of vision?

028.gif

Pheww, I can't believe how cheeky those posts could be...

wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 09-06-2000).]

Boy I just got one of those awful doubts.

Did we actually manage to answer Grisha's second post in this Forum?

Grisha?!

<FONT FACE="Courier">Any input as to how we could actually help you?</FONT>

------------------

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 09-06-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dittohead:

I believe Steve and Charles are most interested in selling copies and making loads of cash, so obviously CM-2 will the SS vs Diablo, The battle for Hell begins.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. That actually sounds interesting. Must be reading this board too much.