Axis or Allies Poll

Ill play any side although my preference is for the Brits (I am one and I maintain they have the most interesting equipment) then the Germans (closest thing to east front until CM2) then a random allied force.

Oddly enough CM doesnt give me any queasy feelings about playing any side (some time periods like 1776 and WW1 do). However I respect those who feel they cant play one side or another for a sense of personal unease, our ghosts of history are hard to exorcise.

_dumbo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll use any side although i do have a preference for the axis,I just like their toys,if you can call tigers that.Having said that though i'm starting to find the super tanks too slow for my liking.

Axis. I'll play either side, but I like the flexibility of some of the specialized German AFVs. I suppose I have evolved my own "system" of sorts.

I do admire the tenacity of soldiers who could cause us so much trouble in what was, for them, a rearguard action, while they dueled Russia to the death. Not a political comment, BTW.

So far, I prefer historically plausible vehicle selections, with Mark IVs, StuGs & StuHs figuring prominently, and some ACs or occasional Panthers for seasoning.

It's always fun to accept a challenge as Allies and break out the mold, of course.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dNorwood:

Another "Tobruk" player?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

smile.gif

You bet!

more than 20 years ago in my early teens we played the hellish game where we rolled the dice to account for every round every AFV fired.

For those who don't know the game, it required a dice roll to determine if there round hit the target, another dice roll to determine WHERE it hit the target, another dice roll to determine the extent of the damage of the hit, another dice roll to determine if there were crew casualties, and another dice roll to determine if the remaining crew bailed out.

It was like CM in the Desert with tanks from 1942 (2D boring sand coloured desert card board map) and every turn took about an hour if there were more than a few tanks.

But thats where I learned tank combat the hard way. One round at a time, one die roll at a time.

Nice to see there are others here who remember that game.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 08-18-2000).]

IMHO, I think the SPI wargames requiring each player to first plot their moves, then resolve them, were closer to CM.

Games using the plot system included Sniper and Patrol (combat at individual man level). There were also two platoon level WW2 games that I can recall, one in Western Europe 1944, and another based on the early war period (I have both, but cant recall the titles).

Mace

I like the germans as they have cool equipment and I have a soft spot for the underdogs. Also many of my Pbem opponents want to be the US so I often get no choice smile.gif

I find it easier to win as the US as the .50cal seems to really throw the balance in the American favour.

Even though I am of german ancestry I don't get the same wholesome feelings playing as the germans as I do with the allies, wierd huh?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Canucks. Fireflies! Crocodiles! Wasps! Badgers! Kangaroos! Who could ask for more? (Except maybe an Armoured car with a gun).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Babra, you sick little kitty, where are you when I, a mere northern and not a Canadian at all, need help defending the honour of Canada?! Come to the Peng Challenge thread, you rotter, and take up the slack!

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

I will play either side, but for choice I will play allies, and I defend Canada (for reasons too numerous and silly to go into), and I enjoy Brits. Both of these forces have a hard row to hoe, especially the Canadians. No fancy equipment or specialized vehicles for them, thank you very much. I haven't played as the Poles or French much, because I can't tell when someone's been shot in the leg...

I don't mind playing the Germans, and will more in the future. I prefer not to look on this as a game of nations, but rather a game. It is an elegant and beautiful tactical game. Every side in the conflict had their strengths and weaknesses, making for an intriguing tactical game.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Axis! They have all the cool toys like Panthers, Flak-88, Storm Troopers (15mm laser rifle variant), AT-AT, AT-ST (aka "chicken-walker"), Tie Interceptors, Super Star Destoryers, Zaku II, Dom, Gelgoog, etc. Yeah!

2nd but distance, Commonwealth, less cool toys like Archer (fits well with Britsh doctrine : Run Away Fast), Firefly VC, Crocodile, Bern Carrier, PIAT.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again frown.gif

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 08-18-2000).]

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cypaulding:

Allies, esp. Americans because it is more of a challenge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that at this time the U.S. is better because of their .50 cals.

It would appear that the best German unit is the SPW250/9 halftrack.

Andy

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WendellM:

...the Americans... Though their armor is poor (at least early on), their large squad size is a plus. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try the M8 HMC. Now that's a 'sweet' AFV.

Try the M24 Chaffee in later months. That thing might be thin-skinned, but it _is_ fully armored and man is that thing fast. That's the fastest tank out there. And it's only 94 points (that may be with Green crews though).

Try M24s, M8 Greyhounds, M8 HMCs, M3A1s, .50 cal jeeps, and T8s with Engineers. Make all of the armor Green and the Engineers Green with Elite HQs. They might react to move orders slowly but they seem to fire OK at enemy troops when spotting them.

To my mind perhaps the only 'too-expensive-for-its-price' vehicle on that list is the M8 Greyhound. It's 'so cool' though.

The backbone of my American AFV forces in any case is always the explosive M8 HMC with a fleet of swarming T8s laden with half-squads.

One of these days though I'm going to show up with all infantry and a couple of jeeps towing 57mm AT guns.

Andy

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darren J Pierson:

I play the Allies, with the Canadians in the lead and the Americans a distant second. (I'm a home team fan.)

I identify more with the Canadians and Americans and seeing my name on screen helps to reinforce this belief. smile.gif I also admit that I just can't work up any enthusiasm to do well as the Germans. It just doesn't seem right. I don't know what I will do in CM2. Germans or Soviets? Great. wink.gif

Darren

And by the way, these are historical preferences and do not reflect attitudes towards modern day citizens of those nations. Was that PC enough for everyone? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Darren J Pierson (edited 08-17-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me I try to leave the politics of that time out of the game and will take either side.

These were soldiers not politicians.

I like the PZK. It's better than the baz. It seems to always penetrate when it hits, unlike the BAZ.

The MG42s are awesome backing up infantry squads. The LMG is one of my favorites. The 37mm and 20mm AA are also favorites, and anything with a 75mm gun on it.

Still as you can see from the previous post I love the American cavalry.

Ambusing Allies with VGD SMG squads at point-blank range in the woods is rewarding in game terms of course.

In my opinion if players of CM leave the politics out of it that to a greater extent they can appreciate the units and the drama of the game. To me it is thrilling and terrifying at once. For instance the sound of MG42s is always extremely worrisome to the Allied infantry commander.

I understand in any case the side preferences many people have.

For instance those who've served in an armed forces or who've had forefathers who've fought on a particular side, or those whose relatives - of all races or persuasions or permutations - suffered civilian distress during that time. The rest is just politics to me.

If I'd been in Germany at the time I probably would have been in a camp or playing music in a club like Django Reinhardt - except with hopefully 5 fingers on the left hand of course.

Weimar Germany would have been crazy, that's for sure. The U.S. is similar to that today, but has a lot of other influences as well.

Yeah CM to me is about the challenge. It's a lot like "Virtual Paintball." As a matter of fact that would be a cool idea for a later face on the underlying CM engine. The square boarder edges make for a perfect real-life paintball field.

Could that could be a commercial best-seller; something for the non-wargame crowd?

Andy

Well, as a german I prefer to play the german side, but I also love all the battles with allied airborne units.

I play all Market Garden scenarios as the Allies, following the exploits of the stout-hearted Red Devils, admiring the valor of the Polish paratroopers and the deeds beyond the call of duty of the US 81. and 101. Airborne.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission