Looking for a few playtesters

I have nearly finished a straight conversion of ASL Kampfgruppe Peiper I into a Combat Mission Operation. For those of you not familiar with Kampfgruppe Peiper I, this is an operation about the very tip of Peiper's forces near Trois-Ponts between 19 and 21 December 1944. I would characterize this operation as one where the irresistable force meets the immovable object and is not for the faint of heart. The operation is rated as Huge, and I have yet to type up the briefings or name the various objects on the map. The map is around 2200m by 1800m and is a hex by hex conversion of the ASL historical map. I purchased all the reinforcement groups using the purchase points and tables for each day. This is as close a conversion as I could make. If you would like to do some testing for me and give me some feedback I would appreciate your input.

Is this the Stoumont Campaign? If it is please send it my way. I have already done this one and would like to see how it compares to yours. I've been waiting for a reply from a few guys that offered to play test it for me.

------------------

Jason

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."

(Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)

Well, I just finished one on the same subject, and submitted it to Boots and Tracks. Whoops! I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Here's my text from the General Briefing.

Stoumont

December 19 - 20, 1944 (11 Battles)

Ardennes Offensive, Northern Shoulder

Weather: Bad

Ground Condition: Wet

Night falls on the Sixth Battle.

Scenario Author: Frank M. Radoslovich (Frankrad@pacbell.net)

After a sizeable German armored force broke through American lines on the 18th of December, it sought an exit from the Ambleve River Valley. After siezing the bridges at Stavelot and Cheneux, these heavily armored troops had been re-buffed at Trois-Ponts and Habiemont. After these setbacks, the force attempted another breakthrough at Stoumont on the 19th. In the balance was the fate of one of the most historically intriguing forces in the Western Theatre in World War 2, the infamous Kampfgruppe Peiper.

Scenario Note: During this historical period represented by this operation, there was no snow to speak of in the area depicted in the map. A thaw had began on 18 December, melting the snow and turning the frozen ground soggy. So, unlike many other Ardennes scenarios, there is no "snow".

REALISM NOTE: If you want to mimic the real battle as much as possible, do not actually begin the game until you have a "fog" setting for Battle 1. In other words, exit out and reload until you get a "fog" setting for the first battle, ideally "Heavy Fog." The real battle began that way, and you should too!

Sources:

Arnold, James R. Ardennes 1944: Hitler's Last Gamble in the West

Astor, Gerald A Blood Dimmed Tide

Dupuy, Trevor N. Hitler's Last Gamble

Folkestad, William B. The View from the Turret: the 743rd Tank Battalion in World War II

Hoyt, Edwin P. The GI's War

MacDonald, Charles B. A Time for Trumpets

Parker, Danny S. Battle of the Bulge

Quarrie, Bruce The Ardennes Offensive, Norther Sector, Volume 4 and 5

Reynolds, Michael The Devils Adjutant: Jochen Peiper, Panzer Leader

The Official U.S. Military History of the Ardennes Offensive

Michellin Maps

U.S. Army Signal Corp Photos

Also, Advanced Squad Leader, Kampfgruppe Peiper I and II. Of course.

30th Infantry Division, Official History

Sounds like this is a popular topic and a lot of different people were working on this. I am sure that the various operations made by others on this topic are different enough that they can all coexist peacefully smile.gif

Yes, Kampfgruppe Peiper is the Stoumont operation. I followed a 2 days followed by one night format per the ASL campaign. Yes, it was impossible to pick fog for the weather, but I found that the system usually picks something that limits visibility sufficiently to get the overall situation right. I will send you all a file when I get home from work today