Little Gems of ideas for CM2 thread

Ok,

this thread isn't to say 'whaaa cm suXsors b-cos it doesn't model XYZ'. Instead, I'd like to invite everyone to post one little idea on something that would add to gameplay or something for CM2.

And lets try to avoid flaming people.. hehe, mostly lets have an ideas dump, and the BTS guys can have a peek and might get surprised with something interesting!

Since i'm special I will post two ideas for my post, ha!

I would love to see a hunt command for infantry, (I know this has been discussed, can't remember outcome). I keep loosing squads because they walk into gunfire and keep walking, would love them to hit the deck and fire back a bit more biggrin.gif

I'd like to be able to switch between english and the native language, (well, German and Russian for CM2 eh?). I just about fell over when i heard "Stick that in your pipe fritz!" for the first time. Would hate to miss similar stuff in CM2 wink.gif

PeterNZ

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be a little concerned that this would come across sort of cheesy... English being spoken in German and Russian accents. Sort of like the campy stuff people often criticize in movies.

Then again, I'm sure some would love it...

------------------

“Thus, the M4A3E8(76)W designation meant a tank with an official Mortality of 4 minutes, Actually 3 minutes, cost Extra, and had a 76% chance of going WHOOSH." - Bullethead

Well, i'd like it as an option. The voice cues are great for alerting to status changes in yer units 'ach mein bein!' tells me a german unit has been shot, but I have no idea what that would be in Russsian, and i'm sure with CM2 the calls would get more varried and complex.

Just an idea biggrin.gif

PeterNZ

I’m sure we could all make a laundry list of things we’d like to see, but I’ll list only two…..for now smile.gif

1)How about the FO being able to call in arty while mounted in/on a vehicle?

And…

2)The artillery barrage continues say…..for a round or two if the FO is eliminated.

Things I'd like to see-

A) Things I'd very much like to see-

-More detailed building combat, larger buildings (for factories, etc.), progressive depiction of building damage.

-More voices.

-A list included in the manual of the infantry calls, and what they all mean. Like many others here, I don't speak Russian smile.gif

-Larger polygon count on the infantry.

-Cheap flamethrowers for meeeeeeee!

-Full movie playback.

-More terrain tiles.

B) Things I think it'd be neat to include-

-Dynamic lighting, with the option to turn it off.

-More infantry faces.

-Smoother movement animation for infantry.

-Smoother seams between tiles.

-Molotov cocktails.

-Finns, Romanians, etc.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Here is my 'dream' list, in no particular order:

1. Smoke marks enemy locations for OBA and/or air support.

2. Multi-Player TCP/IP

3. Tungsten gets used when available, offset by less availability.

4. Smoke/WP grenades for infantry.

5. Entire game movie playback.

Good thread PeterNzer. smile.gif

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Nice one lads smile.gif

O I remembered more.

- Being able to play a game by email, then turn it in to a head-to-head TCP/IP game, then return it to an email game!

- Holes in the ground wink.gif I know it's tricky, but seeing stuff dug in would be fun.

- Ability to target something before you get there. So you tell a gun to target a building before it can see it, the gun moves forward, sees, fires, and then say, you could tell it to reverse after 15 seconds of shooting

PeterNZ

full movie playback and wind modeling (not as it affects trajectories, but as it affects smoke dispersion, flame spreading, and general overall ambience).

oh, and many different flavors of rubble/ruined buildings

[This message has been edited by Juardis (edited 10-17-2000).]

1. Command & control "rules" for radioless vehicles.

2. Command to dig in during a battle (hasty positions for infantry only; not as effective as regular foxholes)

3. Mineclearing tanks

4. Amphibious vehicles

5. Pre-game artillery barrages. (as a purchase option, not for regular FOs) Targeted during setup and FFE on turn 1.

6. Horses smile.gif

7. Fire lanes/grazing fire for MGs. (Yes, I know you can sorta do it now with area fire, but it's not the same.)

I'm sure I'll think of more... biggrin.gif

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

My wishlist (only my 4 preferred) is :

1/ Roster/list of units for fast info

I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED TO DEATH but I still would like it biggrin.gif

2/ Some "rules of engagement" at least for vehicles, allowing to specify range at which fire must be opened and priority type of targets to shoot at...This will go a loooong way toward addressing the "tank target bad choice" syndrom.

3/ Full replay movie

4/ Command & Control for vehicles : platoon/co organization, taking radio into account

My 0.04 cents...

Besides many of the above mentioned enchancements (especially C^3 for armor), I suggest modeling crews and guns/vehicles seperately. For example, letting crews intentionally abandond their gun under heavy direct fire, hide on the reverse slope, then come out when it is all clear. The same should apply to all crewed vehicles. Also, I have to reiterate the need for trenches. In addition, how about allowing pillboxes to be bought then seperately manned (esentially as an immobilized vehicle capable of holding one squad/gun).

WWB

Guest Rommel22

I would like trenches to be included as a new terrain tile. plus fences, better looking rubble and better looking brush. Sand tiles, Mud tiles, And bigger buildings!

I would also like a debriefing option duriong operations and scenerios!!! Right now you have 3 files, one for description and the other 2 for either side. I want 3 more, well it would have to be 6 more for both sides. Basicly 1 file for loss, 2, draw, 3 victory! Both sided weould need these so you have six. A lot more writting but in operations it comes in handy between battles and I guess more realistic. (I hope people understand what I meant!!!)

This next thing has been discussed before, able to reuse abandoned vehicles after a battle ends within an operation. If the vehicle is fine the crew can gain control over it again. Able to capture enemy vehicles if they are abandoned and in operational condition.

And all the countries that played part in the Eatern Front, Romania, Finland!, Italy, Poland, Czeckoslovakia, Hungary. (any more, i htink thats it, well some divisions from spain) But those I mentioned should be included!!!

That's all I can come up with!

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

A neat little thing might be to have a very limited fog effect on ALL daytime weather conditions. The reason being that objects do really become lighter and desaturated as they recede in the distance, even on clear days.

This is one of the reasons that I think people find the fog effects "cool" - it really adds to the illusion of depth and distance.

I have skipped over the CM2 threads in the past as I've only had the game for a few months, and didn't know enough about CM to start chiming in about CM2.

But, now I know enough to get myself into trouble so here goes . . .

1.) The only major graphic change I'd like to see is progressive damage to buildings and improved rubble graphics.

2.) Dummy minefields. Had a blast w/them in ASL. Would have to limit their availability though.

3.) Extreme Fog of War Option (ala Talonsoft - don't flame me). For example; if your units are out of command, you may or may not get an accurate reading of morale, ammunition, rest level etc. You think that hidden but out of command 'schreck still has two rounds left, but alas, he is out of ammo (you lost count of his shots in that confusing opening firefight), and that pesky T34-85 rolls up your flank.

------------------

I used to have a life, now I have CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Four Stringer:

3.) Extreme Fog of War Option (ala Talonsoft - don't flame me). For example; if your units are out of command, you may or may not get an accurate reading of morale, ammunition, rest level etc. You think that hidden but out of command 'schreck still has two rounds left, but alas, he is out of ammo (you lost count of his shots in that confusing opening firefight), and that pesky T34-85 rolls up your flank.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No flames, good idea! Maybe have a selector for "Full" C&C like there is for Fog of War.

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

1. Put in 3D what is supposed to be 3d. Like brushes, rubble, marsh.

2. I know that it was discussed, but the real number of man (not 3 men to represent 12)

3. Hunt command for infantry

4. Pursue command for infantry (pursuing an half track by example to kill it with grenade). Because at this time, if a vehicule go back on reverse, it will be able to reach the distance where the infantry is no longuer able to hit it with grenade. And the infantry just look at it going back and try to shoot at it with their riffle.

1. Full length movie (of course!)

2. New vehicle speed: faster than hunt but slower than fast.

3. Greater variety of building types.

4. Random reinforcement arrival points.

5. Trenches

6. 3D rubble

7. The ability to import CMBO units into CM2 so we can get all the new features on the Western Front.(I know, wishful thinking)

Guest AggroMann

Let's see here is my wish list for CM2:

1- would to see all squad members in a squad instead of just three.

2- Would appreciate a much more detailed infantry animation.

3- FULL MOVIE PLAYBACK!!! (can't stress it enough)

4- Also the modeling (graphic wise as well as voice wise) all the countries invlolved at the Russian front. though maybe not Slovakia or some smaller country like them.

5- Tank trenches, indeed a vastly improved defense system. Make those engineers more important!

6- Full graphical representation of low flying aircraft. Wathcing them swoop down and drop bombs would be great...

7- More voices, tiles, tree sprites, buildings...

8- and finally i would like to see more realistic fire comeing from all forms of units. For instance the German Quad Flak Gun graphically fires only one shot, and that shot is just an orange streak. It would be better if shots were more detailed.

And that about wraps it up for what i would like to see in CM2.

------------------

AGGRO-MANN

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Things I'd like to see-

A) Things I'd very much like to see-

-More detailed building combat, larger buildings (for factories, etc.), progressive depiction of building damage.

-More voices.

-A list included in the manual of the infantry calls, and what they all mean. Like many others here, I don't speak Russian smile.gif

-Larger polygon count on the infantry.

-Cheap flamethrowers for meeeeeeee!

-Full movie playback.

-More terrain tiles.

B) Things I think it'd be neat to include-

-Dynamic lighting, with the option to turn it off.

-More infantry faces.

-Smoother movement animation for infantry.

-Smoother seams between tiles.

-Molotov cocktails.

-Finns, Romanians, etc.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Couldnt agree with you more about the buildings. To model some of the more critical engagements of the Eastern Front (i.e., Stalingrad) details in buidlings and factories will be a must. This will be interesting. I would like to see an entire scenerio (or 2, or 3) modeled entirely within a building or buildings. The graphical representation of "inside" activities depicted in the moronic game called "Doom" might be what we are looking for.

I don´t know if any of you experienced this;

In the process of making a map, you set the ground to low for a bridge to fit in. Probably just me.

1. A universal level set. Raises overall

height by +/- .

2. Inclusion of the allied forces from CMBO,

if at all possible. I know that the engine

for CM2 is´nt compatible with CM1, but I´d

sure would love seeing the "old troops"

with the new terrrain settings.

Bye, senor Droolcup G-D

[This message has been edited by Ghost Dog (edited 10-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghost Dog:

1. A universal level set. Raises overall

height by +/- .

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure if this is what you mean, but in the map editor, pressing alt-plus or minus will "nudge" the entire map up or down.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

My most compulsive dream wish for CM2 is...

A BEEFED-UP QUICK BATTLE SIMULATOR!

Imagine how cool it would be if you could, with just a few mouseclicks, dial up a new game with:

(a) a river

(B) a river with a small bridge

© a river with a big bridge

(d) ruined buildings -- with the strength on defense that occupying rubble would give to defenders

(e) entrenchments

(f) mountain passes (available only in situations where you had the largest hills, or a new category of mountains, to model mountain fighting)

(g) swamps

(h) churches with tall spires (that could be manned with sharpshooters)

(i) old walls -- as in the old medieval sections of old European cities, or walled cities like Avignon or Carcassonne -- or old buildings, like abbeys

To me there's nothing better than settling in for a happy hour or two of battle on a landscape I've never seen before, and have to carefully analyze for terrain characteristics for defense and attack. To me the Quick Battle generator is the genie in the bottle for this game, the locus of its peculiar genius.

Only two things, both posted already.

I agree with everything I've read in the posts above, all great ideas.

for me the two big ones are:

1. Extreme, Ultra, Maximum, Ulitmate Fog of War and Relative Spotting not the Absolute spotting we have now. (I think BTS said Relative Spotting was not do-able in CM2 but I thought I'd ask)

2. (this one's EASY) Better rubble, with plenty of more new 3D structures that we can make mods for so they can look pretty. IN FACT why not have the guys doing MODS now work on some skins and textures for CM2 I'm sure some of them would do it just for a credit and a free CD copy of CM2 smile.gif

ok... And More terrain tiles, and way more kinds of buildings for urban settings, like railyards, contruction yards, fuel dumps, ammo depos, guard towers and high fences for Military installations.

And Nice things like gardens, Statues, fountains, and fancy Russian archectural forms and buildings so we can build nice colourful towns and cities to fight over and blow up.

OK crazy Idea, I think its been mentioned before..... sewers and subways to fight in..

And lastly MORE amphibious vehciles, yes, please model as many Russian Axis and (hopefully) Allied amphibious vehciles as possible.

ok I think that should set back the release date a year or two smile.gif

now back to CM !

-tom w