TCP/IP release update

Guest Big Time Software

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BTS for the update again.

BTW, I think you should send offical words to various online mag about the new patch. I suggest you repackage the game as "Combat Mission Gold" so as to force those arragont mag to review it again!

I know this idea is evil. biggrin.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Big Time Software

Some more answers for you folks...

There is no minimization notification. Honestly, Charles has no idea how to program this. It would be nice, though most people will find that they don't have time extra time to mess around with anything else, and therefore not need to minimize CM.

There is only one clock setting for the entire game. Bigger battles will not only need more time to watch the replays, but more time to issue new orders. So pick a healthier clock setting. The player that rushes through the playbacks will likely be at less of a disadvantage than the one that insists on watching it several times over. The person that can watch the battle once, or perhaps twice, and yet get the bulk of the information needed to play the next turn, will likely be the player to beat.

Also note that the Setup Phase is double the setting's time. Both sides can ask for a PAUSE, which gets rid of the timer for that particular turn. Usefull for beer runs and the follow up potty breaks wink.gif

Multi-multi player will not be in CM 2. We might have said that it will likely go into CM II. In any case, Combat Mission 2 (Eastern Front) is not going to have this feature. Combat Mission II (next generation of the game engine) will have multi-multi player. It is a HUGE deal to add this functionality so do not look for it any time soon wink.gif

Yes, we do in fact sleep biggrin.gif

Steve

Guest Madmatt

We are not planning on any "official" player matching but there are a variety of options available.

We are not at this time going to be hosted on Mplayer, MS Game zone or Kali. The companies charge a hefty fee for "honor" of being hosted and they also really prefer game that support 6 players or more.

Okay, so where CAN you find opponents? Well the best places would be where you find them now! Email friends, the dozen or so ladders that have sprouted up, my Chat system on CMHQ is a good place (now Roger Wilco Voice enhanced!), but the best all around way, I think, would be to use ICQ and setup player lists. Email all your game buddies and get their ICQ numbers. Then when you login to ICQ, fire off an instant message to whoever is on and ask for a game. Figure out who is going to host and then all you need to join is the IP address. Simple as that. Once in the game you use the games on chat feature to talk.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Both sides can ask for a PAUSE, which gets rid of the timer for that particular turn. Usefull for beer runs and the follow up potty breaks wink.gifSteve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youse guyz be jammin! biggrin.gif With a wife and 2 kids, that was my biggest concern wink.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

We are not planning on any "official" player matching but there are a variety of options available.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I once again submit the notion that a PBEM (and soon) TCP/IP board should be added to battlefront.com

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

After both machines establish a connection, Combat Mission runs a few tests on each system to determine which one is "faster". The most important factor is how well the CPU handles floating point math, so don't be surprised if a 400MHz G4 is selected over a 800MHz P3 (OK, we were initially surprised, but there you go biggrin.gif). The faster machine is determined to be the Host and the other the Guest.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are a regular reader of Tom's Hardware, it is not news that Intel is producing sub-standard floating point unit (fpu) in Pentium line of processors. The current throne to fpu in wintel architecture is Althon. Even the latest Pentium 4 is not in par in that department...

To be fair, P4 shines in 3d games areana!

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

I am very happy with the way Battlefront w/CM is carrying the torch of very accurate war gaming. A torch dropped for many reasons by many companies before it. Battlefront has also attacked the problems that make a real tactical simulation "just another wargame" and came out with the most realistic computer game ever.

Combat Mission is the bomb.

After 20+ years of Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader [including playtestesting and competition] technology and true interest in realism have connected and transcended into Combat Mission.

I've been waiting for these moments.

I would be very willing to help with the testing of the tcp ip. I am ready to test 40+ hours a week and I am ready now with a simple G6-400 on a dsl.

I realize the first versions of the tcp/ip download are only days away, but frankly, I can not wait.

David Deresinski

There is no minimization notification. Honestly, Charles has no idea how to program this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just imagine any developer from another company writing this line publicly... The suits would kick his ass.

Charles & Steve: You guys are great! I love your attitude! Can I pre-order CM2, CMII, CMIII, etc... smile.gif

CoralSaw

ps. Maybe then you can afford to get somebody in that knows how to program the minimisation thingy. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Heh... I agree Coralsaw. I got a big laugh out of Steve admitting Charles does not know how to program that feature, and I also have a hefty amount of respect for them stating something like that. I wish ALL programmers/companies had that attitude.

Way to go Steve and Charles! You've actually got me looking forward to trying TCP/IP.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

ps. Maybe then you can afford to get somebody in that knows how to program the minimisation thingy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about we all chip in and buy Charles a big fat reference book? Then all Steve has to do is give him a few days of vacation so he can read it. biggrin.gif

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

[This message has been edited by Snake Eyes (edited 11-21-2000).]

There is no minimization notification. Honestly, Charles has no idea how to program this. It would be nice, though most people will find that they don't have time extra time to mess around with anything else, and therefore not need to minimize CM.

There is only one clock setting for the entire game. Bigger battles will not only need more time to watch the replays, but more time to issue new orders. So pick a healthier clock setting. The player that rushes through the playbacks will likely be at less of a disadvantage than the one that insists on watching it several times over. The person that can watch the battle once, or perhaps twice, and yet get the bulk of the information needed to play the next turn, will likely be the player to beat.

Also note that the Setup Phase is double the setting's time. Both sides can ask for a PAUSE, which gets rid of the timer for that particular turn. Usefull for beer runs and the follow up potty breaks wink.gif

Multi-multi player will not be in CM 2. We might have said that it will likely go into CM II. In any case, Combat Mission 2 (Eastern Front) is not going to have this feature. Combat Mission II (next generation of the game engine) will have multi-multi player. It is a HUGE deal to add this functionality so do not look for it any time soon wink.gif

Yes, we do in fact sleep biggrin.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve I guess I was sleeping when you guys (BTS) talked about CM II.

Has their been much discution about CM II?

------------------

Boris Balaban

WORK bbalaban@rim.net

HOME b.balaban@home.com

Guest Rollstoy

<font size=6>Question:</font>

Will there be a Demo with TCP/IP Functionality?

Thanks,

Thomm

P.S.: Yes, I bought the game. I just want to convince friends who did not ...

Excellent News...

Madmatt suggested ICQ for finding players I would also suggest AIM. There is a seperate thread with a list of players using AIM, so add your name and party on down..

Pity there is not going to be an open room for finding players but as MM suggests it will work with either AIM or ICQ.

And finally, I add my thanks to the team working on this game, it has taken the crown off CC2 and I played that solid for nearly two years I can see this lasting into my old age... (If I was not there already...)

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the answers Steve. As a developer myself (and one doing work I have never done before) I can appreciate the amount of learning that must be involved in order to program something like TCP/IP, not to mention the actual work itself.

Funny how much easier it is to say than it is to do.

"TCP/IP? Sure we can do that!!!... Now, what does that stand for again?..."

Jeff Heidman

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kelly:

Will the new patch address the problem with planes not appearing during an operation?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what problem would that be? I was playing an OP last night against Kwazydog and one of my own flyboys decided that I no longer needed that nice shiny Churchill and proceeded to drop two 500 pound *gifts* down my crew hatch.

You have to remember, planes are not gimmies. They have a mind of their own and they don't always show up when you want or at all sometimes. It's the luck of the draw.

Luck and War don't often get along so well either. wink.gif

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-21-2000).]

Forgive my ignorance but....

If I'm currently playing a PBEM game with my 1.05 and I upgrade to the 1.1 patch, is my PBEM game not going to work anymore? Even if my opponent has the new upgrade? In other words, do I need to finish all my PBEM games before downloading this patch?

------------------

Randy aka Prairiedog

Matt...I have tried many times to utilize planes in my "user made" operations. I even sought the assistance of Wild Bill, but he was also baffled. No matter the weather...sunshine, dry...whatever, I can't make the planes appear. I set up a test scenario with a dozen planes, and I placed German tanks on hills in the open...but the planes would not appear. Is there a trick to this thing. Scenarios work like a charm, but not the operations. BTS suggested it might be a bug and they were looking into it. Now what? It's nothing? It's not a bug? This is very frustrating. John

Guest KwazyDog

Randy, there was a little confusion about this ealier but the current answer from Charles is that yes it can be done. What you will need to do is save the game in 1.05 and load that saved game up in 1.1. Ive tried this and currently it does work fine, as long as there are no changes from here until release that may cause problems.

John, Ill do some further testing on that problem right now... smile.gif

Dan