This election is almost exciting as any CM scenario.

Guest MantaRay

Guest MantaRay

Before you bitch and complain about a political thread, I am not here to congratulate either canidate or tell you whom I voted for.

I have to say at 12:50 Am, with 500 votes seperating the two in Florida with 99.9% of the votes counted, this is a sparkling example of why it is important for people in their countries that have a free election process, to get out and vote.

Like it or not, this is a facinating part of history for us in the US.

Ray

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was an American voter, I would be happier seeing one guy get the lions share of the votes.

That way, you know most of the people approve of him, so it's a fair chance he is the best man for the job.

With almost a 50-50 result,its equally possible that each guy is only half up to the task.

Just my thoughts....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MantaRay:

Like it or not, this is a facinating part of history for us in the US.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CMBO ---> exciting

US Presidential Election ---> boring (especially for us foreigners)

CMBO ---> exciting

US Pres..... oh, you know the rest!

Mace (can we go back to talking about CMBO)?

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 11-08-2000).]

Democracy may not be perfect but it works.

Thanks to all those who fought and died to defend it in WWII.

Perhaps BTS should offer to review the AI of the ballot machine in Florida. biggrin.gif

You know for this match the Experience Bonus was supposed to be set to favors neither. However, Leadership always counts. wink.gif

Fog of War is definitely toggled! confused.gif

[This message has been edited by bfamily33 (edited 11-08-2000).]

I can't believe its STILL too close to call.

Very interesting race.

Even after this recount in Florida, I'm sure the losser will request a recount in EVERY close state and I think there are some other close states besides Florida. So it may still taek some more time, Like all day!

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-08-2000).]

From The Onion:

AUSTIN, TX, OR NASHVILLE, TN--In one of the narrowest presidential votes in U.S. history, either George W. Bush or Al Gore was elected the 43rd president of the United States Tuesday, proclaiming the win "a victory for the American people and the dawn of a bold new era in this great nation."

"My fellow Americans," a triumphant Bush or Gore told throngs of jubilant, flag-waving supporters at his campaign headquarters, "tonight, we as a nation stand on the brink of many exciting new challenges. And I stand here before you to say that I am ready to meet those challenges."

"The people have spoken," Bush or Gore continued, "and with their vote they have sent the message, loud and clear, that we are the true party of the people."

With these words, the crowd of Republicans or Democrats erupted.

Bush or Gore attributed his victory to his commitment to the issues that matter to ordinary, hardworking Americans. Throughout the campaign, the Republican or Democrat spoke out in favor of improving educational standards, protecting the environment, reducing crime, strengthening the military, cutting taxes, and reforming Social Security. He also took a strong pro-middle-class stand, praising America's working families as "the backbone of this great nation."

"During this campaign, I had the good fortune to meet so many of you. And I listened to your concerns," Bush or Gore said. "And do you know what I found? That your concerns are the same as mine. Like 64-year-old Rosemary Cullums of Wheeling, WV. She said to me, '[Mr. Bush or Mr. Gore], we need to restore a sense of values and decency to this country. I have three young grandchildren, and I worry about the filth they're exposed to on a daily basis from TV and the movies. We need Hollywood to take responsibility for its actions and stop peddling sex and violence to our young people.' I told Rosemary I agreed wholeheartedly and gave her my word that when I became president, I would demand accountability on the part of the entertainment industry. Would my [Democratic or Republican] opponent have said the same?"

"The greatest thing a president can do is set an example for the people," Bush or Gore continued. "And as a devoted family man with a wonderful wife and [two or four] wonderful children, I promise to make the White House a place Americans can feel good about."

The crowd erupted again, with thousands of delirious Republicans or Democrats waving signs reading, "America's Families For [bush or Gore]" as a blizzard of red, white, and blue confetti fell from the ceiling.

During his 30-minute victory speech, the president-elect also praised his campaign manager, Joe Allbaugh or Donna Brazile, for refusing to resort to the "negative smear tactics of my opponent."

"Unlike my [Democratic or Republican] counterpart, my staff and I insisted that this election be about the issues," Bush or Gore said. "We refused to take the low road and stoop to dirty tricks in order to get elected. While [Mr. Gore or Mr. Bush] was busy with cheap innuendo and unfounded accusations, we were out there taking our message to the American people. And, judging from what happened today at the ballot box, you heard that message loud and clear. And I thank you."

More confetti rained down from the ceiling, this time accompanied by balloons.

Waving to acknowledge his supporters, the Ivy League graduate and scion of a political dynasty called for "a time of renewal and rebirth in America."

"America has always been the land of promise and possibility," Bush or Gore said. "And never has that been more true than today. The opportunities that stand before us are great. The challenges are many. But I am energized by what lies ahead. Make no mistake, there is much work to be done. But we are more than up to the task. Remember that I am here to work for you, the people. Because you are the people who put me here. This is a fresh start. Our children are the future. America is ready for change. And new ideas. And a fresh start."

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Very funny & too true, Chupacabra.

However, let's keep this on CM. I was playing a new scenario called "Nadir's Raiders." It was the Nazis v. the Allies, with Commander Nadir as the head of a local partisan group who had no hope of winning and complained that both the Nazis and the Allies were unresponsive to "the people," even though both armies groveled to the electorate with focus groups and polls. So, since it "didn't make any difference" who won, who was in the supreme court, what national policy on abortion was, how wealth was redistributed, etc., etc., Nadir's forces shot at both the Nazis and the Allies, but since the Allies were closer and easier to hit, the Nazis won. Whew!! What an interesting scenario! CM is an incredible game, huh?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gadget:

I understand Florida still uses paper ballots. Kinda like still playin' wargames with cardboard counters. wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Parts of Florida use paper ballots, but Palm Beach uses punch cards.

Illinois uses punch cards.

Electronic ballots can be tampered with.

I'm American, and I think it's boring. Both Bush and Gore are centrists. They've tried to appeal to the same constituencies over the same issues. In the end, I doubt the next four years will be much different no matter which one gets elected.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

God help us all:

> "The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."

> ....George W. Bush, Jr.

>

> "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

>

> "Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and

> child."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr.

>

> "Welcome to Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."

>

> "Mars is essentially in the same orbit...Mars is somewhat the same

> distance

> from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there

> are canals, we beieve, and water. If there is water, that means there is

> oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 8/11/94

>

> "The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in

> this

> century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this

> century."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/15/95

>

> "I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and

> democracy

> but that could change."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 5/22/98

>

> "One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that

> one

> word is 'to be prepared'."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 12/6/93

>

> "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 11/30/96

>

> "I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the

> future."

>

> "The future will be better tomorrow."

>

> "We're going to have the best educated American people in the world."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/21/97

>

> "People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and

> have

> a tremendous impact on history."

>

> "I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr. to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93

>

> "We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm

> commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe."

>

> "Public speaking is very easy."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr. to reporters in 10/9

>

> "I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican"

>

> "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the

> polls."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr

>

> "When I have been asked who caused the riots and the killing in LA,my

> answer

> has been direct & simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are

> to

> blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.

>

> "Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having

> it."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 5/20/96

>

> "We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/22/97

>

> "For NASA, space is still a high priority."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/5/93

>

> "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our

> children."

> ....Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/18/95

>

> "The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that George

> Bush may or may not make."

>

> "We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the

> mistakes we may or may not have made."

>

> "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities

> in

> our air and water that are doing it."

>

> "[it's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

------------------

"I like a man who grins when he fights."

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

I'm American, and I think it's boring. Both Bush and Gore are centrists. They've tried to appeal to the same constituencies over the same issues. In the end, I doubt the next four years will be much different no matter which one gets elected.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you are right, but I am afraid you might not be.

The single issue ignored by almost everyone this election is the fact that the next president will likely appoint 3-4 Supreme Court justices. This dwarfs any other issue, period.

The difference between the decisions made by another 3 or 4 Clarence Thomas's or Scalias that Bush will appoint and another 3 or 4 Democrat appointed Justices are not trivial, and will have an impact on everyone's lives.

Jeff Heidman

May be time to work on a new state motto for Florida smile.gif.

My initial suggestions are ...

Florida state motto - Best 19th Century election system in the US.

Florida state motto - Do it twice, slowly, and take an average.

Florida state motto - Its too darn hot down here to get in a hurry about anything.

Florida state motto - Its getting late, lets take a break.

Florida state motto - Today, tomorrow, next week ... what's the difference?

MajorH, extremely funny.

Vcents: Shush, don't jinx it. We'll get Maximus to post another anti-polish thread to draw Madmatt's attention, and padlock. Then some one will suggest a full game replay and ask why the graphics aren't better. To complete the distraction I have bumped the tungsten use thread back up.

Screw the padlock. This is a very intense subject matter concerning the whole world. And if you don't think so, then you're kidding yourself.

------------------

"Rule#3: You must be a member of my Meta Campaign to take

part.(doh!)" - Rob/1 Edit or was that George W. Bush who said that?

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 11-08-2000).]