Book Opinions Wanted

Doctor

As I mentioned in a prior thread, I spent my monthly computer gaming fund on WWII books because no games but CM seem to hold my interest any more. I'd appreciate it if anyone who's read any of the books I bought today could comment on them(in terms of accuracy, depth, entertainment, or whatever you feel like mentioning). I ask because I'm trying to get a sense of what style books I should be looking for(this buying expedition was a spur of the moment type thing). I honestly didn't know what to buy, and just picked the ones that caught my eye(the selection was pretty limited too). I'd also appreciate any suggestions on other books to purchase.

Here's the list, and TIA for helping me educate myself on this subject.

*Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck

*Currahee! by Donald R. Burgett

*A Blood Dimmed Tide by Gerald Astor

*Seven Roads to Hell by Donald R. Burgett

*Panzer Battles by Maj. Gen. F.W. von Mellenthin

*WWII - a photographic History by David Boyle

Guest MantaRay

Now that you have the World War II library ( in paperback I hope) biggrin.gif I think you have one hell of a start on some good reading to come.

Now I dont care what ppl here think of Steven Ambrose, but Citizen Soldiers is a fine book, and if you somehow missed Soldat (also WWii Library) you have missed the best one of bunch) and to get a feel for how different and amazing generals were, try German Commanders on WWII by von Mellenthin. I still look at that one.

There are so many, I say read them all, that way opinion cannot detract from what you find to be good.

Ray

The heavens shook, and a voice spoke from above, "Seekest thou this Web page, and all thy questions shall be answered, and thy wallet emptied."

http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/

They have gotten about $500 from me so far, but great books. Fantastic reading.

History of Panzerkorps "Großdeutschland" by Helmut Spaeter (ISBN 0-921991-12-6). Volume 1: $48.00 (US) / $57.00 (CDN). Hard cover, 9"x6", 550 pages, many maps and orders of battle.

The first volume of a 3-volume set covers the "GD" from its inception as a "Wach"-Regiment in 1921 through its evolution into an infantry regiment. Covered are the unit’s first action in France in 1940 and its reorganization as a Panzergrenadier-Division. This volume covers the regiment through the end of 1942.

History of Panzerkorps "Großdeutschland" by Helmut Spaeter (ISBN 0-921991-27-4). Volume 2: $50.00 (US) / $70.00 (CDN). Hard cover, 9"x6", 560 pages, 20 maps.

Volume 2 covers the "GD" from late 1942 until early 1945. It includes details on affiliated units such as Kurmark, Brandenburg and the Führer-Begleit-Brigade.Lots of first-hand descriptions and small-unit actions.

The History of Panzerkorps "Großdeutschland", Volume 3 by Helmut Spaeter. Hard cover, small format (6x9), 512 pages, 30+ maps and diagrams. This is the third and final volume of the text history of this elite formation. We are in the process of finishing the layout now. Sections include: The creation of Panzer-Korps "Großdeutschland"; the complete history of the Brandenburgers as a commando unit; the history of Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Brandenburg"; the final fighting of both "Großdeutschland" and "Brandenburg"; the activation of additional "Großdeutschland" formations in the final, desperate fighting; the "Führer" Divisions on the Eastern Front; the Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Kurmark". Each section is filled with detailed, first-hand accounts from the participants. The author, Knight's Cross recipient Helmut Spaeter, recently passed away. Regular price: $52 (US) / $75 (CDN). (ISBN: 0-921991-50-9).

Michael Wittmann and the Tiger Commanders of the Leibstandarte by Patrick Agte (ISBN 0-921991-30-4). Price: $85.00(US) / $115.00 (CDN). Hard cover, 12"x9", 576 pages, 700 photographs, 34 maps, 4 orders of battle.

A complete history of the Tiger company of the Leibstandarte which later became schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101 (501). Established in late 1942, this unit fought at Kharkov and Kursk in 1943, refitted in Italy and went back to Russia in 1944. After refitting in the spring of 1944, it fought in Normandy, fell back to the borders of the Reich in the autumn, then fought in the Battle of the Bulge. After transferring to Hungary in January 1945, it participated in the attempt to take Budapest, fell back to Austria and finally surrendered in May 1945. While a good portion of the book is devoted to Michael Wittmann—as he was its most-famous member—it is actually a unit history. Excellent battle accounts, 700 photos (many new!) and detailed orders of battle (including tanks numbers and names of commanders) combine to make this a superb book. Only 2 copies left!

Combat History of Schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 653

by Karlheinz Münch (ISBN 0-921991-37-1)

$102.00 (US) / $140.00 (CDN)

Hard cover, 12"x9", 600 pages, 700 photographs, 32 pages of color artwork, scale drawings.

Schwere Panzerjäger 653 was activated as a Sturmgeschütz unit—the 197th—then converted to the Ferdinand (later Elefant) and then to the even more massive Jagdtiger.

Masses of Ferdinand photos from Russia and Italy (approximately 400) in 1943 and 1944. More than 100 photos of the rarely seen Jagdtiger. Additionally, photos of StuG’s, Brummbär, T34 Flak, etc. Extremely accurate color artwork of camouflage and markings. The detailed text gives a very good coverage of the history of the unit. The author has produced an excellent unit history.

Panzertaktik German Small-Unit Armor Tactics by Wolfgang Schneider. ISBN: 0-921991-52-5. Price: $85 (US) / $120 (CDN). Hard cover, English text, 12” x 9” format, 512 pages, 600+ photos, maps and diagrams.

Wolfgang Schneider has written the definitive account of German Army small-unit tactics in World War 2. Using period training manuals, after-action reports, countless interviews with Panzer veterans and his own experiences as a highly successful armor commander in the Bundeswehr, Schneider describes period Panzer tactics and couples this narrative with related maps and diagrams and hundreds of exciting photographs. Indeed, the photographs alone are worth the price of the book. Drawing on many previously unpublished sources, the photos illustrate all of the concepts presented in the text.

Concentrating at the battalion level and below, Schneider discusses the major types of small-unit operational art — the offense and the defense — as well as road marches, reconnaissance, command and control, working with other arms of service, life in a tank, armor training and gunnery and the future of armor. The text provides useful insight into armor tactics for both the layman and the armor professional.

This title plugs a gap in the available literature, since very little has been written on the topic for the general public by soldiers who are intimately familiar with the demands of armored warfare.

This is the third title written by Wolfgang Schneider for J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing. It joins the hugely successful titles, Tigers in Combat and Tigers in Combat 2, as an indispensable reference work on World War 2 armor.

I'm currently reading my first two WWII books...

Blood Dimmed Tide (suggested by the good people on this forum), which I'm finding to be EXCELLENT!

and NUTS! which is a pictorial trip through the Battle of the Bulge, and has some great photographs!

Like you, I'm hooked now and plan on grabbing more books once I've eaten through these two...

I think you'll like CURRAHEE a lot, as I got a lot of recommendations to read that one... however, my public library had NO COPIES!

I agree with Airborne about 'Panzer Commander' and 'Panzer Battles'---both are great books written from a very different viewpoint (tactical vs operational.)

On the American side I would add, when you get a chance: 'Patton: Ordeal and Triumph' by Farago (the definative bio on Patton); 'Company Commander' (and autobiography) and 'A Time for Trumpets' (about the Bulge) by MacDonald; and 'The Men of Company K' by Leinbaugh and Campbell (as they describe the book: 'the autobiography of a WWII Rifle Company'.)

------------------

A66

1st MRB

I agree with Airborne about 'Panzer Commander' and 'Panzer Battles'---both are great books written from a very different viewpoint (tactical vs operational.)

On the American side I would add, when you get a chance: 'Patton: Ordeal and Triumph' by Farago (the definative bio on Patton); 'Company Commander' (an autobiography) and 'A Time for Trumpets' (about the Bulge) by MacDonald; and 'The Men of Company K' by Leinbaugh and Campbell (as they describe the book: 'the autobiography of a WWII Rifle Company'.)

------------------

A66

1st MRB

[This message has been edited by Valdor (edited 09-14-2000).]

I've read all of Burgett's books so far

(Curahee, Road to Arnhem and Seven Roads to Hell). He is the one who got me interrested in The US Paratroops. His books give a good feel for what it was like for the trooper on the ground.

If you liked his books and want to know more about the 101st in WWII, I would recomend you pick the 3 books written by George Koskimaki:

D-Day With the Screaming Eagles

Hells Highway

The Battered Bastards of Bastonge

His books are well done compilations of personal accounts from the 101st's 3 major opperations.

For other good Books on the US Para's I would include:

Devils in Baggy Pants by Ross Carter

Drop Zone Sicily by William B. Breuer

Night Drop by S.L.A. Marshal

Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose

No Better Place to Die by Robert Murphy

On Time, On Target by John D. McKenzie

best,

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kverdon (edited 09-14-2000).]

These are World War One books, but very good.

Attacks by Erwin Rommel does a great job of explaining infantry tactics by using examples from his experience and offering commentary on each.

For the beginnings of tank combat and a good explanation of infantry/tank cooperaion try J.F.C. Fuller's autobiography. I don't remember the title. A very good read.

Hell, I forgot about "The Men of Comany K." That is a really good book.

"If you Survive" should never be forgotten as another outstanding autobiography of a US infantryman. That's where his company commander (I think) says to each of his platoon leaders something like, 'If you survive this operation, I will promote each and every one of you'. Thus the title....

How 'bout this one: "The Black March" by Neuman. It's one hell of a autobiography of a Waffen SS soldier. It's a real hard hitting book, especially the difficult part with the use of flamethrowers on prisoners..... Just then do you get the sense (and senselessness) of war....

-Ski

PS I have over 400 non-fiction military paperbacks in my collection, all from 22 years of interest in WWII. Do you think I've gone too far? hehehehe

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate it. I've decided to start with Panzer Battles(picked it kind of at random, because I have to start somewhere). So far, it's very interesting. I could almost kick myself for not discovering the pleasures of reading military history earlier in my life. The only book I can recall reading that had to do with war(other than fiction) was Stalingrad, which I enjoyed quite a bit(still have mental images conjured up about the panicked rush across a bridge once the 6th army was encircled) but thought it was a fluke. For some reason I assumed that military history was normally dry, boring, and should be read only if required.

Boy, was I wrong. It's better than fiction. I've found a new hobby outside of computer games(really, just CM lately). I can't tell you how odd it feels to be this interested in something new again.

Oh, and do I ever get the borg treatment?

I'll throw in a couple more from the Allied side:

"Paratrooper" by Devlin--definative study of US Airborne troops.

"On to Berlin"-by "Jumpin Jim" Gavin himself.

"Eisenhower's Lieutenants" by Russell Weigley--

this is an in depth study of 44 and 45 from the allied side, somewhat dry but very good.

"There's a War to Be Won"--by Geoffrey Perret-- another excellent book about the US Army.

I second Doubler's book "Closing with the Enemy" , in fact I'm reading it now.

Also second "Company Commander" by Macdonald

Read it 3 times.

"Brazen Chariots" by Robert Crisp is very good-about British Armour in N. Africa.

Many of these are hard to find/out of print but well worth it. I found some online through second hand stores. Enjoy.

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Awe man! You shoulda started with "Currahee"! Ah, I guess you'll read it sometime. You'll have to let me know what you think of the book. I did my pilgrimage to Normandy beacause of it........

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

[This message has been edited by Teamski (edited 09-14-2000).]

Oh, you want to know why it's so interesting? War brings out the very best and the very worst out of man. The stories of war can and will bring out just about every emotion you have. And it's not fiction.....

The other reson:

It's once been said that man creates the most beautiful machines in the world just to eliminate man. Just look at a F4U Corsair and you can see what he meant. How can you not love the looks of a Spitfire or a Tiger II?........

-Ski

------------------

Teamski,

"The Black March" is a great book, very well written but it's fiction and not an autobiography.

Doctor,

Donald Burgett's books are great! "Seven Roads to hell" is insanely detailed, especially since it was just published last year. Curahee is great, and I'm just now reading his last book which I think will be awesome too.

Panzer Commander is good but from a batallion commander's point of view. Very well written with some increadible historical moments.

"Company Commander" by Charles B. MacDonald should be bought by everyone.

Ambrose's books are increadibly well researched:

D-Day June 6 1944

Citizen Soldiers

Band of Brothers

I have read Band of Brothers and I am currently reading D-Day. What I love about Ambrose's books is that the men he discusses in detail are often interviewed in documentaries that appear on the History Channel and other channels. When I see them on TV I feel as if I already know these guys.

I also like Ambrose's books because they are easy to read. They are interesting and straightforward. The last book I read was called World War I (can't remember the author - I think it was John Keegan), and although it was interesting, the style in which it was written made reading it like torture. I couldn't wait to finish it just so I could move on to something else. When I finished Band of Brothers I was disappointed that there was no more to read. I wanted to know what happened to these guys after the war in more detail than was given.

Pak40:

I beg to differ sir! I pulled out my copy "The Black March" by Peter Neuman. It was published by Bantam Books as part of it's Bantam War Book series. It states that it's non-fiction. Unless you got some news, I think it legit. (I would be disappointed if it was fiction garbage).....

I have to second "Brazen Chariots". It's THE classic British tanker book. His fighting in a M3 Stuart is some real hair-raising stuff, especially charging the anti-tank guns and going over a ledge!

-Ski

PS

------------------

Teamski,

I have no concrete proof but, after I read it a few years ago I was totally blown away with it's realism...except for the Hollywoodish ending and the fact that the book doesn't have any information about the author. These two things always bugged me for some reason. One day I stumbled upon an ametuer review which stated that the book was fiction. This review had no proof that it was fiction but it made sense.

Here is one of the reader reviews I found on Amazon.com (obviously this guy isn't the final say so about the book's fictional status but he does raise some doubts about whether it is non-fiction or not.)

Reviewer: david.mahoney@tipd.analog.com from New Hampshire

This book is a fraud. Purportedly the memoirs of a young officer of the 5th SS Wiking (Viking) Division, it is actually a completely fictional novel produced by a European pulp magazine writer. This popular fake went through several printings and was even reviewed in the New York Times.

Nonetheless, "The Black March" is actually a powerful piece of writing and an effective war novel. The author creates a strong protagonist who comes to life as he tells his adventures of Nazi indoctrination and combat on the Russian front. The book loses some power because of its pulp elements, such as the hero's love affair with a Jewish girl. Still, the book is well worth a few dollars for a used paperback copy or a check out from the library.

I agree with all the above. However, nobody has mentioned good hardware books for someone new who wants to learn the basics regarding the machines in CM. I have bought several, and highly recommend George Forty's "German Tanks of WWII" if you want to get a good understanding of each of the German tanks in WWII for $18. Good pictures and war accounts too.

I also like the bound Classic Motorworks books on Sherman, Panther, and Tiger for about $15 each at Amazon. More interesting and informative overall (I think) than overpriced Osprey booklets that are less descriptive and harder to read.

May I humbly point you to the CM Reading List that I maintain. These are all books that have been recommended at least a few times by people on the forum, and they're organized by topic.

As always, feel free to submit your own suggestions.

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

CM Recommended Reading List Moderator

www.siteonsound.com/CMReadingList.htm