Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBN BP2 has a release date

9 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

https://www.battlefront.com/index.php?p=home

I opened the BFC front page before posting what I posted... 😎

All releases for the past few years have followed this process. The home page of the website doesn't get updated until the uploads have propagated the servers for a while but an announcement is made on our forums. And if it was sumfink with pre-orders they get first crack at it. 

7 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

How is it possible?!

The just released 4.05 patch contains the content. This is the way new Packs and modules have been released for a years now. The confirmation email sent with a purchase states it. 

5 minutes ago, Ales Dvorak said:

Man, that was close.. ;)

It was planned for 10am my time (4pm CEST). I jumped the gun and announced a little early. It looks like Matrix isn't live yet. It looks like Matrix and Steam are a little behind. 

As with all CM products, the license key can be redeemed for a Steam key at no charge (once it's available on Steam)

7 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

All releases for the past few years have followed this process. The home page of the website doesn't get updated until the uploads have propagated the servers for a while but an announcement is made on our forums. And if it was sumfink with pre-orders they get first crack at it. 

The just released 4.05 patch contains the content. This is the way new Packs and modules have been released for a years now. The confirmation email sent with a purchase states it. 

So if I get your point, there's no download for BP2 but one must download a patch instead... 🫤

It makes more sense than no download at all anyway...

13 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

So if I get your point, there's no download for BP2 but one must download a patch instead... 🫤

It makes more sense than no download at all anyway...

I understand what you're saying. And it would apply today.....tomorrow...etc....but what about a year from now? 5 years now? When most people who own the game, but not the Pack, already have the 4.05 patch installed? Or 4.09 patch? And they decide to purchase the Pack? It happens every day and has been this way for years. 

A question for @BFCElvis or @Ithikial_AU - a few years ago I started a project on the Juno Beach landings that I more or less abandoned because the game crashed due to too many barbed wire, mine and fortification units. I opened a support ticket but never heard of a solution. Looking at one of the official screenshots it looks like this issue might have been solved or the level of units improved. Has this been patched despite not in any patch notes? If any one of you can shed light on this I would appreciate it as it is a project I someday would like to finish if possible.

21 minutes ago, rocketman said:

A question for @BFCElvis or @Ithikial_AU - a few years ago I started a project on the Juno Beach landings that I more or less abandoned because the game crashed due to too many barbed wire, mine and fortification units. I opened a support ticket but never heard of a solution. Looking at one of the official screenshots it looks like this issue might have been solved or the level of units improved. Has this been patched despite not in any patch notes? If any one of you can shed light on this I would appreciate it as it is a project I someday would like to finish if possible.

Good question. I guess that it depends on how many years ago it was. Some of the Upgrades included better performance. Plus, for me, the computer that I use today is MUCH more powerful than the rig that I had as recently as 2 years ago. There could be several factors that make it more possible today.

Do you still have the map files? If you want to send them to me I can see how they run on my system.

Unrelated, I still can't play @Berlichtingen's To the Volga scenario from CMBB. We lost Berli a few years ago (and miss him dearly) so I can't curse him to his face anymore but internally I curse him every time I try to load it. And that scenario is over 20 years old.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Good question. I guess that it depends on how many years ago it was. Some of the Upgrades included better performance. Plus, for me, the computer that I use today is MUCH more powerful than the rig that I had as recently as 2 years ago. There could be several factors that make it more possible today.

Do you still have the map files? If you want to send them to me I can see how they run on my system.

Unrelated, I still can't play @Berlichtingen's To the Volga scenario from CMBB. We lost Berli a few years ago (and miss him dearly) so I can't curse him to his face anymore but internally I curse him every time I try to load it. And that scenario is over 20 years old.

I have a much more powerful PC now as well and will try it again before sending it to you. My conclusion back then was that the calculations done by the game when turn 1 is processed causes the crash, probably because all the fortification/mine/wire units are converted to being an immovable part of the map, and pillboxes sink into the terrain. I even made a smaller empty map with just a ton of fortifications etc and it crashed as well. I recall Steve mentioned a while back that there will be improvements to how the engine uses modern hardware, maybe that will do the trick even if it isn't a bug per se.

Edit: I can try with current 4.04 version and later 4.05 patch.

Edited by rocketman

3 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

I understand what you're saying. And it would apply today.....tomorrow...etc....but what about a year from now? 5 years now? When most people who own the game, but not the Pack, already have the 4.05 patch installed? Or 4.09 patch? And they decide to purchase the Pack? It happens every day and has been this way for years. 

Don't bother too much with me whining… 😉 It works perfectly fine the way it does! In fact I was just susprised to read that no download is required while in fact a download is required… for now. Nothing more.

Now I've downloaded the patch, purchased the BP2, and I'm very pleased with what I get! 😊

In fact I have a much more interesting question for you: does the patch include only BP2, or does it include some bug fixes as well? I must say I missed the release notes if any are included…

12 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Don't bother too much with me whining… 😉 It works perfectly fine the way it does! In fact I was just susprised to read that no download is required while in fact a download is required… for now. Nothing more.

Actually, if someone were to purchase the base game today then the Pack is already installed with no additional download. ALthough, I suppose with any software sumfink needs ot be downloaded at some point. 🙂

Now I've downloaded the patch, purchased the BP2, and I'm very pleased with what I get! 😊

I'm a broken record but I think that everyone will really dig this Pack.

In fact I have a much more interesting question for you: does the patch include only BP2, or does it include some bug fixes as well? I must say I missed the release notes if any are included…

No. I searched through our bug tracking software and couldn't find any bugs that had been fixed since  last year's patch. There was at least 1 TO&E change that I neglected to put in the readme file, and now that I am typing this I am drawing a blank on what it is. @Ithikial_AUinsisted and begged that we add sumfink. Low quality teams we not able to swap out their LMG for MG34s.

EDIT: Looking back at the bug tracking I see this was actually changed for v4.04.

It's an interesting point though. Ithikial insisted that this be fixed for the Pack and went as far as saying some scenarios couldn't be created until it was. Because these battles were for campaigns it wasn't like he could just create a scenario and then switch the units out when the fix came. That is the deep dive this guy took when working on this Pack. He obsessed over every detail.........to our benefit.

6 hours ago, PIATpunk said:

You're just not looking hard enough.  😎

I was just looking through the orders that came in for the Pack and guess what? You were the first to purchase. 6 minutes before I posted the link. 🙂 

Thank you for your support!

4 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Sadly, the game still crashes as soon as the red button is pressed for the first turn resolution. The scenario doesn't take an awful amount of time to load, so that points to some other problem than huge map, tons of units and rather the amount of fortifications, mines etc. Guess the project will remain on hold.

36 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Sadly, the game still crashes as soon as the red button is pressed for the first turn resolution. The scenario doesn't take an awful amount of time to load, so that points to some other problem than huge map, tons of units and rather the amount of fortifications, mines etc. Guess the project will remain on hold.

Do you have any mods installed? If so, you might want to try it without them.

18 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

@BFCElvis, I bought the BP this afternoon and it looks great. I do have an issue though. I can no longer use the keyboard controls on my laptop in CMBN. I opened up Red Thunder and the keyboard worked fine. Is it a possible bug?

Check and see if the hotkey file is in the Data folder.

8 hours ago, rocketman said:

I remember a bug that was squashed many years ago where Barbed Wire on a map led to crashes. Unsure if you continued to experience problems if the barbed wire was purchased/placed while the bug was active in the game version.

Open the file in the editor and delete all the barbed wire in the unit selection screen. If you can then load the 3D preview with the side that has the barbed wire (I assume the Germans) and it loads successfully that was probably the fix. The downside is you need to repurchase all the barbed wire and place it again from scratch. But it's a path forward.

Juno Beach needs to some love. ;) Tailleville was once on my to do list. @Paper Tiger - Did your Road to Carpiquet idea ever get off the ground?

8 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

I can open and play that scenario now with on my RX5900X, 16GB RAM and a GTX3080ti. I don't want to though, as every time I dabble in the old CMBB and CMAK I dream of early and mid war CM2. :(

In terms of performance with this pack, some of the battles are very large and will take a little bit to load and/or process the first turn from deployment. Particularly the Utah Beach mission in the D-Day campaign. Should balance out once the first turn is processed. Organise your off map support missions and then start moving troops in the second turn if you encounter problems.

6 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

No. I searched through our bug tracking software and couldn't find any bugs that had been fixed since  last year's patch. There was at least 1 TO&E change that I neglected to put in the readme file, and now that I am typing this I am drawing a blank on what it is. @Ithikial_AUinsisted and begged that we add sumfink. Low quality teams we not able to swap out their LMG for MG34s.

EDIT: Looking back at the bug tracking I see this was actually changed for v4.04.

It's an interesting point though. Ithikial insisted that this be fixed for the Pack and went as far as saying some scenarios couldn't be created until it was. Because these battles were for campaigns it wasn't like he could just create a scenario and then switch the units out when the fix came. That is the deep dive this guy took when working on this Pack. He obsessed over every detail.........to our benefit.

4.03 had a bug where the German infantry forces when purchased in the editor had the top of the line small arms equipment regardless of quality selected. So a "poorly" equipped formation still had MG42's and STG44's like they were handed out like candy. :) This really wouldn't be a good look when you are trying to recreate second tier forces along the beaches in this pack. I noticed BF added in the G41 as a replacement for the G43 in poorly equipped formations as part of the 4.04 patch.

I touched on this in the Dev Diary, but there was a point in the proposal phase where I was asking for the array of small arms introduced in Fire and Rubble / Downfall modules to be available for a second tier German infantry formation in CMBN. Think an Ost Battalion type of formation. The equipment is all over the place so buddy aid really won't help you much if you are scrounging ammo. This was a bridge too far for a pack though. :)