Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Downfall: Enjoying the module?

On 8/5/2024 at 11:45 PM, Vacillator said:

Who doesn't love a brit JM my friend ❤️?  Okay there are brits and then there are brits 🫣.

>There are some Brits and some brits, a propos brit and can perhaps a Brit can answer to my question.

I think the Canadians Paras doesn t wear their officers rank on the battlefield isn t not the same for the brits ?

so can somebody tell me what is the meaning of the little yellow stripe wearing on the shoulder, perhaps both side I dont know exactly, wearing from the Para troops only, was a sign of rank of officers, or was wearing for everybodys, and perhaps the british and polish army have also a different colour ?

Edited by JM Stuff

5 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

so can somebody tell me what is the meaning of the little yellow stripe wearing on the shoulder, perhaps both side I dont know exactly, wearing from the Para troops only, was a sign of rank of officers, or was wearing for everybodys, and perhaps the british and polish army have also a different colour ?

I've just re-watched 'A Bridge Too Far' 5 times trying to find an answer 😉.

I'm struggling to even see any yellow stripes 😵‍💫.  Do you have a picture JM?

19 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I've just re-watched 'A Bridge Too Far' 5 times trying to find an answer 😉.

I'm struggling to even see any yellow stripes 😵‍💫.  Do you have a picture JM?

5 time in one day my god Tim you are really a Brit !😝

Ok first thank you to your answer !

I took some pictures on the web the three first are comercial and  modern.

the three others are I guess real, in a fighting moment or minimum from the war, we cannot see correctly but on the shoulder is the stripes I guess yellow for everybodys, if we cannot see it correcly I will put one by one !

nBmpOgV.png

g3buKHV.png

S9an9fF.png

Edited by JM Stuff

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Joking aside. i think that us Limeys had a different colour for each battalion in Normandy. 1st = Red, 2nd = Blue, 3rd = Green, and 4th = Black. So it would make sense for the Canucks to have a different colour for themselves. 

Now here is a Brit who (possibly) knows the answer.  I bow my head sir 🙇‍♂️.

3 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

5 time in one day my god Tim you are really a Brit !😝

I was only talking about watching a film 😉.

13 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Now here is a Brit who (possibly) knows the answer.  I bow my head sir 🙇‍♂️.

I was only talking about watching a film 😉.

Bowing one's head in front of me has proved to be dangerous to some in the past.

And I'm more of a "Theirs is the Glory" man myself.

21 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Joking aside. i think that us Limeys had a different colour for each battalion in Normandy. 1st = Red, 2nd = Blue, 3rd = Green, and 4th = Black. So it would make sense for the Canucks to have a different colour for themselves. 

This is the infos that I was searching, thank you !

On 8/8/2024 at 10:36 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

1st Cdn Para Bn actually continued to use its own manufactured battledress (even the Berets were made in Canada) throughout its time attached to the 6th, so it's anyone's guess if they had the epaulette bars prevalent in the other regiments. 

I've never seen these bars before, though. Normal practice in other British divisions and brigades was to have a sewn on bar (or series of bars) underneath the Division insignia to denote (a) the regiment's seniority in the brigade (only 1 bar = 1st regiment in the brigade) and (b) arm of service. My understanding is Canada didn't adopt that either. 

I was curious to see what the Airborne divisions did to distinguish between brigades and constituent regiments but can't find anything, oh well. 

1 hour ago, Rinaldi said:

1st Cdn Para Bn actually continued to use its own manufactured battledress (even the Berets were made in Canada) throughout its time attached to the 6th, so it's anyone's guess if they had the epaulette bars prevalent in the other regiments. 

I've never seen these bars before, though. Normal practice in other British divisions and brigades was to have a sewn on bar (or series of bars) underneath the Division insignia to denote (a) the regiment's seniority in the brigade (only 1 bar = 1st regiment in the brigade) and (b) arm of service. My understanding is Canada didn't adopt that either. 

I was curious to see what the Airborne divisions did to distinguish between brigades and constituent regiments but can't find anything, oh well. 

More and more interesting is just that you will find in my mod about Canadians with a yellow stripe on both sides of the shoulders, but nothing for the brits,  this is why my question, before I do the mod, andi's now too late to change it, but is a minimum " mistake". 

I want to reproduce the Canadians as wel the brit or the polish or whatever in the last details but I see that is probably wrong , I will make more deep research about this small event, thank you to yours comments.

Edited by JM Stuff

On 8/8/2024 at 3:36 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

This should have read "Arnhem", not "Normandy". Sorry for any confusion.

2 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

This should have read "Arnhem", not "Normandy". Sorry for any confusion.

Dont worry I took this infos also interresting because, I make a Paras summer uniforms as well to use for Arnhem for exemple, so the infos is good welcome.

Having dug a bit deeper. 6th Airborne Division used the following flashes. 7th Battalion = Green triangle with a white border. 8th Bt,. = Yellow disc. 9th Bt. Skull and Crossbones. 3rd Para Brigade = Yellow triangle. There was a bit of variation in size and shape between Normandy and Varsity. But I don't think any player will be that nit picky.

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Having dug a bit deeper. 6th Airborne Division used the following flashes. 7th Battalion = Green triangle with a white border. 8th Bt,. = Yellow disc. 9th Bt. Skull and Crossbones. 3rd Para Brigade = Yellow triangle. There was a bit of variation in size and shape between Normandy and Varsity. But I don't think any player will be that nit picky.

better and better I will check tor all these infos in pictures thank you Spike !

6 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

That's without counting on me because I'm picky (joke) 😆

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

Going back to the original question about identifying officers, I've found that there was another identifying feature (hopefully this can be modeled in-game):

image.thumb.jpeg.87dae45c240b65df159590284590b621.jpeg

yes an umbrella !!😝

in french we say un "parapluie" so yes un "para" pluie  😆 😈

>the umbrella sheath might be difficult to reproduce 😁

Edited by JM Stuff

Form what I have read, many British, U.S. and German officers did not wear identifying marks or even want to be saluted since that would make them a target for snipers.

I recall a story of a German general who used a modified private’s uniform for that purpose. 

trivia: The Canadian Battle Dress was slightly different from British BD. It was manufactured in Canada to a higher standard with better finishing and had a more greenish hue than the British BD which had a more brownish hue.

2 hours ago, Sgt Joch said:

Form what I have read, many British, U.S. and German officers did not wear identifying marks or even want to be saluted since that would make them a target for snipers.

I recall a story of a German general who used a modified private’s uniform for that purpose. 

trivia: The Canadian Battle Dress was slightly different from British BD. It was manufactured in Canada to a higher standard with better finishing and had a more greenish hue than the British BD which had a more brownish hue.

<this is really relevant because in my mod and in the mod of @Vein that I took mode andl in general rule, I saw the green color more as the brown red color of the british army, this is why I introduce green throusers for the canadians, perhaps i was wrong, but for myself I like to see the difference with the british ones, as well with the polish, for me the polish are a trouser more brown or grey, as the "brown red" from the british, but perhaps is only me, but you know guys for me the simple details make the difference, thanks to your post @Sgt Joch, if you, or another member know details about the 3 differents Para involved, just give me a wink, you will probably find later your suitable, comment added in a mod. 😉

Edited by JM Stuff

1 hour ago, Sgt Joch said:

>first time that I see the double hook collar for the winter.

>British battledress was made of a brownish wool serge and was closely cut in order to save on material.😆

>Canadian battledress was greener than the British and was cut fuller in the waist and shoulders...

>Other Ranks were not permitted to wear the collar open, so BFC show the correct uniform from soldier to off with open collar... thank you to all your research !

This is for me one of the best real aspect uniforms of differents country involved and they are from @Vein ! 

We can really distinguish the difference of color and compare it,  with the comments above, very nice research Vein.

Only that I dont know what s mean "POMS" in this context, ?? probably a real british dialect, worthy like our friend @Warts 'n' all, (the guy who has his own dialect, that only him can understand it ) ! sorry spike I have to placed this one 😝 

wOjmilc.jpeg

This one is also very welcome perhpas for the brit better with a red brown,  opinion ?

MlkzGEZ.jpeg

Edited by JM Stuff