The Road to Montebourg revision for v4.0 is available

Sounds great Paper Tiger, really looking forward to it, especially the Scottish Corridor remake.

Would love to see a Goodwood, Bluecoat, Totalize campaign someday, but I digress.

One thing that I find in a lot of battles is the lack of cover represented, I find this in Scottish Corridor. I suppose if you are taking map heights from contour lines then you end up with a relatively flat area in between. when in the real world there is cover in even what appears a flat field for example.

It would be great if uneven ground could be included to represent this, but understand if it's out of the scope of your revamp or not possible due to map editor restrictions.

anyway, thanks for all your work mate, really appreciate the amount of time, effort and research you must put into your work

55 minutes ago, slippy said:

Sounds great Paper Tiger, really looking forward to it, especially the Scottish Corridor remake.

Would love to see a Goodwood, Bluecoat, Totalize campaign someday, but I digress.

One thing that I find in a lot of battles is the lack of cover represented, I find this in Scottish Corridor. I suppose if you are taking map heights from contour lines then you end up with a relatively flat area in between. when in the real world there is cover in even what appears a flat field for example.

It would be great if uneven ground could be included to represent this, but understand if it's out of the scope of your revamp or not possible due to map editor restrictions.

anyway, thanks for all your work mate, really appreciate the amount of time, effort and research you must put into your work

I actually do slip in some small terrain undulations to break up LoS because the real world is not generally billiard table flat (except perhaps for beaches). I've been doing that as long as I've been making maps for this game :D Check out Beau Guillot for a good example - Google Earth shows flat terrain but as you can see, there are plenty of small dips.

1 hour ago, Paper Tiger said:

I actually do slip in some small terrain undulations to break up LoS because the real world is not generally billiard table flat (except perhaps for beaches). I've been doing that as long as I've been making maps for this game :D Check out Beau Guillot for a good example - Google Earth shows flat terrain but as you can see, there are plenty of small dips.

Ah ok! Thanks, PT, I should have known you would consider this also 😉. Thanks again mate

(Spoilers for Les Licornets)

Hey @Paper Tiger, I have something else for you :D

I just started Les Licornets and the German Stug at the west of their initial defensive line was deployed in front of the bocage line it is meant to be behind. 

RTMLesLicornetsBug1.thumb.jpg.2f61bce2d3e5b99a27045ede1b7b79e9.jpg

edit:

The eastern Stug is also at an odd angle but I am not sure if there is anything to be done about that.

RTMLesLicornetsBug2.thumb.jpg.3f96a10b5caa27bc1da5d608a17700eb.jpg

Edited by Kohlbie

4 hours ago, Kohlbie said:

(Spoilers for Les Licornets)

Hey @Paper Tiger, I have something else for you :D

I just started Les Licornets and the German Stug at the west of their initial defensive line was deployed in front of the bocage line it is meant to be behind. 

RTMLesLicornetsBug1.thumb.jpg.2f61bce2d3e5b99a27045ede1b7b79e9.jpg

edit:

The eastern Stug is also at an odd angle but I am not sure if there is anything to be done about that.

RTMLesLicornetsBug2.thumb.jpg.3f96a10b5caa27bc1da5d608a17700eb.jpg

I'll have a look at that, thanks. It really shouldn't be like that at all. They were placed behind the hedgerow.

I've had a look and they're 'okay-ish' in the set-up. Since they're positioned EXACTLY where they were placed in the original scenario, I might speculate that the game engine works differently now. The eastern StuG looks like your photo above and you're right, I can't change that but the western StuG is fully behind the bocage. I'm not sure why it's 50-50 like that. I've tried moving them back one action square but then they can't see anything. I might have to reposition them differently. Let me know what happened in your game. If they get spotted really quickly because they're poking out, I'll reposition them. (I know you didn't get AI plan 2 :D which is probably the plan I got when I tested it.)

3 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

Let me know what happened in your game. If they get spotted really quickly because they're poking out, I'll reposition them. (I know you didn't get AI plan 2 :D which is probably the plan I got when I tested it.)

Oh as quickly as possible in the current CM engine. I tested it five times and both of the StuGs were spotted within 15 seconds of a single four man infantry group entering the bocage line across the field from them :D

Edited by Kohlbie

I'm not sure what to do about this. I tried having the StuGs advance one action spot to the bocage line at the start of the mission and they don't poke through. Good, but they can't spot diddly either. The one in the east gets spotted pretty much instantly - I drove a buttoned up Sherman into the field and as soon as it entered, it spotted the StuG behind the bocage and started firing. Of course, the StuG couldn't see anything at all and took three hits (ineffective except to close the hatches further reducing their chances to spot).

We had the opposite on the east flank where nobody could see anybody else so the StuG is completely ineffective and safe.

So, what to do? I think I'll just leave it as is because at least they can do something even if it looks weird.

Hello, I have just noted the different scenarios where the orchards are not “Norman” if some are purely cosmetic, others actually risk modifying the gameplay orchard hill for example.

-Breaktrough

-Ecoqueneauville

-Le grand hameau

- Hell in hedgerows

-Labyrinth

-Licornet

-Neuville

-orchards hill

-stalemate

as I told you I can modify them, I'm waiting for your greenlight.
it might take a little time though !!
in relation to the problem raised by Kohlbie I made a post a while ago about an issue with an old scenario where units were placed in front of hedges at startup; this one didn't generate much interest I reinstalled the game, it stopped but randomly reappeared maybe something changed in the last update

On 1/11/2024 at 2:32 AM, Paper Tiger said:

I'm not sure what to do about this. I tried having the StuGs advance one action spot to the bocage line at the start of the mission and they don't poke through. Good, but they can't spot diddly either. The one in the east gets spotted pretty much instantly - I drove a buttoned up Sherman into the field and as soon as it entered, it spotted the StuG behind the bocage and started firing. Of course, the StuG couldn't see anything at all and took three hits (ineffective except to close the hatches further reducing their chances to spot).

We had the opposite on the east flank where nobody could see anybody else so the StuG is completely ineffective and safe.

So, what to do? I think I'll just leave it as is because at least they can do something even if it looks weird.

Hi PT

Could you possibly change the type of hedge at these locations? Would that enable them to be placed behind the hedgerow but still have LOS?

Just a thought

cheers mate

2 hours ago, Falaise said:

Hello, I have just noted the different scenarios where the orchards are not “Norman” if some are purely cosmetic, others actually risk modifying the gameplay orchard hill for example.

-Breaktrough

-Ecoqueneauville

-Le grand hameau

- Hell in hedgerows

-Labyrinth

-Licornet

-Neuville

-orchards hill

-stalemate

as I told you I can modify them, I'm waiting for your greenlight.
it might take a little time though !!
in relation to the problem raised by Kohlbie I made a post a while ago about an issue with an old scenario where units were placed in front of hedges at startup; this one didn't generate much interest I reinstalled the game, it stopped but randomly reappeared maybe something changed in the last update

I think the areas you're describing in some of the earlier missions are not orchards but woods. At least that's what they appear to be in Google Earth. You must surely have them in Normandy too :D

Neuville can definitely be changed though because that's a big orchard and not a wood but don't worry, I can do this myself.

Hell in the Hedgerows, Orchard Hill and Breakthrough - Stalemate can't be changed without doing the AI placement and plans all over again. I tried replacing the orchards and units that could see through the old, un-Norman orchards couldn't anymore. That's a LOT of work. It'll get done at some point though as now you've pointed it out to me, I want the maps to be as authentic as the editor will let me.

EDIT to add:

Neuville is done. it looks good too. It actually helps the defenders as well. Thanks for bringing that one to my attention.

Edited by Paper Tiger

5 minutes ago, slippy said:

Hi PT

Could you possibly change the type of hedge at these locations? Would that enable them to be placed behind the hedgerow but still have LOS?

Just a thought

cheers mate

As it happens, that's an option I was considering. The StuGs get spotted instantly by Shermans anyway so not much would really be lost. 

On 1/1/2024 at 6:52 AM, Paper Tiger said:

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battle-for-normandy-campaigns/the-road-to-montebourg-revised-for-v4-0/

Don't worry, this won't overwrite or otherwise delete the original campaign that came on the disk. IIt's a completely different file. This is substantially different from the vanilla campaign and the number of changes made is huge but the most important one to note is that you will need both the Market Garden module and the Vehicle Pack to play this.

Other important highlights are that the 2/8 INF core units are now mostly Green with High morale which means you'll need to manage them more carefully in a firefight.

All-new AI plans using triggers and most of the tricks that came with later versions of the game.

Flamethrowers are included in some missions.

Some maps have been revised, most notably the map for Turnbull's Stand which veterans of the original campaign will probably notice quite quickly.

A 'new' mission has been added although those of you who found and played the earlier revised version that was uploaded to BFC's old Scenario Depot will recognise it. The campaign has a prelude phase consisting of the new mission and then the old campaign opener Beau Guillot. You should notice quite a few changes made to that mission as well - some extra help to make up for the drop in experience.

There is air support in quite a few missions now and less artillery, at least the bigger guns anyway.

Anyway, let's post this and then I'll see what needs to be 'fixed' or not in good time. This is an old campaign so i'm not expecting a ton of feedback for it for quite a while but let me know and I'll fix things. Now I'm taking a break from CMBN. I haven't quite decided what comes next - finishing Hasrabit or a new version of Gung Ho! for the German forces. Later, I'll get to work on the two Scottish campaigns I'd mentioned elswhere.

Have a Happy New year.

Hi @Paper Tiger, and happy new year!

Just one short question: campaign header says 17 missions while uncam reaveals 18 different missions (discounting the variants sharing the same name). Is one mission an alternative or is the header wrong?

On 1/2/2024 at 2:51 AM, Paper Tiger said:

The same will go for the revision of the Scottish Corridor that will come along some time in the future - it's going to need Market Garden and the Vehicle pack to work. I REALLY want a flamethrower tank or two in one or two of these missions as they were present in the real operation and there's no way that I'm redoing it without one. (Or at least trying it to see if it's as cool as I think it will be. I suspect it will completely destroy any existing balance in these missions but I want to try.)

Having just finished the campaign, I would have really loved to have some FT tanks! 😛

I just played them once, in CMFI's "Flames in the Mist" scenario. Really cool, great scenario. 👍

9 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Hi @Paper Tiger, and happy new year!

Just one short question: campaign header says 17 missions while uncam reaveals 18 different missions (discounting the variants sharing the same name). Is one mission an alternative or is the header wrong?

Yes, there is an alternative. There are 17 missions in the campaign but there are two missions that you can go to after Hell in the Hedgerows - Breakthrough if you win and Stalemate if you lose. Both use the same map and more or less the same OBs but there is quite a difference between them ;) 

On 1/17/2024 at 7:03 AM, PEB14 said:

Having just finished the campaign, I would have really loved to have some FT tanks! 😛

I just played them once, in CMFI's "Flames in the Mist" scenario. Really cool, great scenario. 👍

I'm playing CMFB 'Hot Time in Hatten' as a PBEM.  It is hot, my opponent has flamethrower Hetzers.  I don't like them.  Two down so far, at least two more to go.  Doing okay against the deluge of Panzer IVs though and not so bad against several Panthers and some Jagdpanzer IV/70s.  And some Stummels. 

Jeezy Louisy, it's a big battle...

9 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Started the campaign and I've just played "Silence the Guns". The Germans abandoned three guns. But, I didn't receive points for any of them. Are there hidden "Touch" locations that I am meant to find?

The briefing states...

You are awarded
TOUCH Gun 1         50vps
TOUCH Gun 2        100vps
TOUCH Gun 3        250vps

Yes. you need to TOUCH the gun positions and they're marked on your Tac Map.

Perhaps if they run away and you leave the gun intact, they'll just come back after you run away and start firing again. ;) They can't do that in the game - once you abandon a gun, you can't reacquire it.

3 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

The briefing states...

You are awarded
TOUCH Gun 1         50vps
TOUCH Gun 2        100vps
TOUCH Gun 3        250vps

Yes. you need to TOUCH the gun positions and they're marked on your Tac Map.

Perhaps if they run away and you leave the gun intact, they'll just come back after you run away and start firing again. ;) They can't do that in the game - once you abandon a gun, you can't reacquire it.

Okeh, the tactical map lettering is a bit dark. And there are no touch locations marked on the battle map, which threw me a bit. But, I will give it another go. Cue, Nat Cole "Gone with the draft".

• 2 weeks later...