The Road to Montebourg revision for v4.0 is available

This campaign  is what got me started with CM back in the day. Looking forward to replaying the updated version.

Now the question: If this campaign gets updated again, will my saves work or I will need to restart it from the beginning?

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

From my experience of major updates, the old campaign saves, may or may not work from the start of a mission.  Unlikely to work from a save from the middle of a mission.

Thank you. Dicey then. 

PT, on first mission Gun 3 was not registered as touched although I had a soldier sitting there next to it. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Hister said:

This campaign  is what got me started with CM back in the day. Looking forward to replaying the updated version.

Now the question: If this campaign gets updated again, will my saves work or I will need to restart it from the beginning?

So that there's no confusion, any changes I make to the campaign will not carry to an older version of the campaign. Once you start, you are locked into that particular campaign with OBs, artwork, AI plans etc until you finish it.

As for any chance of a revision, I'd say there is no chance of a new version any time soon. Unless something utterly egregious occurs (in which case I absolutely will fix it asap), this is the final version.

Edited by Paper Tiger

Posted (edited)
On 2/4/2024 at 8:48 AM, Hardradi said:

Same problem as Warts, I can't get the touch objectives.

I just took a look and I can see where the confusion arises. Look at the tac map and you'll see the rough position of the guns. you are told that you must TOUCH these positions to destroy the guns. The VP objectives won't show if you hit Alt+J as they are not known to either.

I have changed the settings so that these three objectives are Known to Player so that if there is any revision, this change is implemented. However, it changes nothing - you just have to move down the trench line and 'touch' the guns which you can SEE on the map.

Edited by Paper Tiger

56 minutes ago, Hister said:

Thank you. Dicey then. 

PT, on first mission Gun 3 was not registered as touched although I had a soldier sitting there next to it. 

I have no idea why that might happen. Is your soldier physically placed IN the square? You should hear a notification that you have touched it.

My first thought was that the game engine is perhaps confused because there are two overlapping objectives, one an allied player TOUCH objective and the other an axis AI Trigger but all of the gun positions are like that.

7 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

I have no idea why that might happen. Is your soldier physically placed IN the square? You should hear a notification that you have touched it.

My first thought was that the game engine is perhaps confused because there are two overlapping objectives, one an allied player TOUCH objective and the other an axis AI Trigger but all of the gun positions are like that.

Soldier (only survivor) passed the gun and set in the square next to it. Probably didn't trigger the touch objective. In all the havoc going on I wasn't paying attention, thought it did but aparently didn't.

Am inclined to replay this mission. I now understand what needs to be done with those opposing MG bunkers which mowed down both of my assaulting teams down to a man. 

Touched on all 3 guns the second time around but both of my assaulting teams got completely wiped out in the process. Only the two supporting MG teams were able to exit. Wasn't able to supress the two opposing MG bunkers with my MG teams. Got minor victory but failed to aquire the documents - how do you get them? And is it even possible to silence those damned bunkers?

If you get the documents, do the Germans stil have big calibre shells lobbing at you in the 2nd mission?

Posted (edited)

Strangely enough, one of the keys to this is to take it reasonably slowly and set up a strong fire base before sending a small team down the trenches to touch the objectives. The trench run triggers the reinforcements so it's best to do it as quickly as possible.

The documents are 'hidden' in the 3rd Gun square. You don't need them to win but a Total Victory isn't possible without finding them.

Edited by Paper Tiger

2 hours ago, Hister said:

And is it even possible to silence those damned bunkers?

What I do in this case is send the bazooka squad after them. I usually take the platoon leader and break into the first hedge and rush the squad through. Then split that squad down, use one section the break bocage and get on the flank. Use the bazooka or grenades and destroy the bunkers. This also allows you to be on the flank/rear of the reinforcements when they come in.

PT really did a fantastic job creating the mission and showcasing the Airborne philosophy of getting in close and knocking some teeth in. 

• 3 weeks later...