Israel War Thread

danfrodo

I was out for a while today, I come back to see hundreds of Israelis dead, plus hostages.  And what will this accomplish for the Palestinians?  More suffering.  Nice binge but the hangover is gonna be deadly.

Starting this thread to get the discussion out of the UKR war thread.

ISW has an Iran update today focusing on the attack from Gaza:

Iran Update Special Edition, October 7, 2023
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/iran-update-special-edition-october-7-2023

One of the most dangerous courses of action Iran could pursue would be to exploit Israeli focus on the Gaza Strip in some way in the coming days and weeks. Iranian leaders will almost certainly look for opportunities to take advantage of the conflict even if they did not direct it. Iran could exploit Israeli distraction by moving advanced military systems into Lebanon and Syria or making significant advances in its nuclear program. This scenario is less likely than others at the moment, but it warrants consideration because it could set conditions for even more significant escalations or geopolitical changes. Incidents like Hamas’ attack no longer remain confined to the immediate area in which they occur. Each now carries the potential to grow into a larger phenomenon with ripple effects throughout the Middle East and even beyond.

4 minutes ago, cesmonkey said:

English translator:

this f-ing dumbass does realize that he'll run out of rockets, and soon, while the Israelis most certainly won't???  What imbecility.  

Edited by danfrodo

I suppose the idea is to start a great uprising in the muslim world against Israel?  Kinda like white supremacists in US always thinking if they ignite a race war all the whiteys will be with them.  Or like Tet offensive, where NV & VC thought the city folks would support them and rise up (probably true in the countryside, but not in the cities).

Just repeating what I said earlier, The real question here is does it spread beyond Gaza. Regardless of how badly they got caught napping Israel can handle Gaza. If Hezbollah piles in Israel can still handle it, but the disruption is going to be severe. And we are REALLY going to regret not starting new ammo plants a year or more ago if this thing goes completely off the rails. As screwy as it seems, the real definition of a super power is still making half a million rounds a month of 155, and a great deal else, obviously

20 minutes ago, cesmonkey said:

Pretty clearly Hamas has attempted, with at least some success to put more rockets in the air than the Israelis could deal with at one one time. I also think the rockets have been the least serious part of the attack. The successful ground assaults across this kind of broad frontage just shouldn't have been doable. I am wondering if Hamas, or one of it supporters managed a truly large scale successful cyber attack on the Israeli army com system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/07/opinion/israel-hamas-attack-friedman.html

When I need the most accurate analysis about Israel, the first call I always make is to my longtime friend and reporting partner there, Nahum Barnea, a veteran Yediot newspaper columnist. When I called him on Saturday afternoon for his read on the Hamas attack on Israel, I was stunned by his first response: “This is the worst day that I can remember in military terms in the history of Israel, including the blunder of the Yom Kippur war, which was terrible.”

Friedman is deeply flawed, but he has also been reporting on the middle east since like 1975 or so. He has some subject matter expertise. The biggest issue now is how the Israelis handle the hostages. Historically Israel has tied itself in knots to get hostages back. There is also this little issue of who gets the blame, of which there appears to be great deal to go around.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2023/10/israel-war-hamas-attacks/675579/?utm_source=threads&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_content=edit-promo

This Will Be a Pyrrhic Victory for Hamas

Israel could go much further than it has in the past in responding to the group’s attacks.

Much the same overall take. But he emphasizes that Israel is going to be extremely heavy handed in its response.

5 minutes ago, dan/california said:

There is also this little issue of who gets the blame, of which there appears to be great deal to go around.

And the matter of the epic Israeli political crisis, which can roughly be framed as “liberals own the courts, conservatives have a popular majority”. I used to read Haaretz religiously (for entertainment, to make myself feel better about American politics) and the divisions in Israel make America look pretty lame by comparison.

3 minutes ago, kimbosbread said:

And the matter of the epic Israeli political crisis, which can roughly be framed as “liberals own the courts, conservatives have a popular majority”. I used to read Haaretz religiously (for entertainment, to make myself feel better about American politics) and the divisions in Israel make America look pretty lame by comparison.

Yeah this is going to break the political stalemate. I am just not sure which side wins.

American news media is doing a crap job as usual

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/07/naked-israeli-woman-paraded-jeering-hamas-fighters/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

In one video, a crying woman named Noa was loaded onto a motorcycle as she reached out in tears to a man who was being marched with his hands tied behind his back by captors.

She had also been attending a music festival before she was abducted into Gaza.

Hamas released footage of a group of Israeli men lying on a concrete floor in a dark room with their hands also tied behind their backs.

Hamas is acting like the Russian Army, but unless I missed something they are not a major nuclear power. They have a very good chance of getting to pay their bill in full.

Edited by dan/california

1 hour ago, dan/california said:

There is also this little issue of who gets the blame

The pundits addressed that earlier today. Naturally, it's all Biden's fault. And the Russian invasion too. Despicable blathering idiots.

Edit: "puppets", not pundits. Damn spellcheck.

Edited by Sojourner