is backing up a good un-bogging practice?

Well... what the title says. 

I've done some experimenting with bogged down vehicles; if I read my 'usually hapless' tutorials right, bogged vehicles will try to free themselves and become either free or permanently immobilized. There is not much indication however on what is the best thing to actually do (as in, interact with the game mechanics) to increase chances of freeing the vehicle. 

Then I experimented with the reverse order. Boy, it could be coincidence or perhaps I stumbled on a tip, but indeed it feels more 'frequent' to get them free, if I cancel whichever order the vehicle had, and order a reverse nearby (straight behind of where the vehicle is). 

Coincidence, or proven method? 

This topic goes as far back as Cmx1 itself but I stand with my opinion :

It is more for the feels and does nothing significant. 

You see that the driver of the vehicle starts his "unbogging" process right then when it gets stuck by turning the wheels/tracks back and forth. User movement input is blocked for the time being. 

It is hard to test this to either approve or disprove this. How often does a unit bog down? And from this instances how often do they free themselves? 

To be 100%sure we would need to have a programmer insight. 

But either way I say that your unit just got lucky in the "unbogging" process-dice roll and it has nothing to do with you putting it in reverse. 

5 hours ago, Holman said:

Does cancelling the movement order help with the unbogging process at all? I have the impression that it does, but it might just be confirmation bias.

I also feel like reversing offers a higher chance for unbogging but it might just be because of this. 

Thats if it even helps in the first place 

I've been playing Combat Mission for about 25 years and I don't think anyone has any clue about this. You're best off, I think, to treat it as entirely random. Pick any action, all are just as likely to have the same result, or any other result for that matter. Go slow, go fast, back up, bail out, twist it all about. You'll bog or not entirely due to the whims of the bog god. And the bog god, may she smile upon you.