Horsa Glider flavor object

Does anyone out there have the ability to model a Horsa glider flavor object for my forthcoming scenarios and campaign "Operation Tonga". I expect the expanded version of the master map to be completed by the end of next week. It has now grown to 4160 m x 3168 m and will encompass the actions all three parachute battalions of the British 5th Parachute Brigade and the Oxf & Bucks of the 6th Airlanding Brigade. For those not yet in the know, this all revolves around the capture and holding of the two bridges across the Canal de Caen and the Orne River on D-Day and subsequent.

2 hours ago, WimO said:

Does anyone out there have the ability to model a Horsa glider flavor object for my forthcoming scenarios and campaign "Operation Tonga". I expect the expanded version of the master map to be completed by the end of next week. It has now grown to 4160 m x 3168 m and will encompass the actions all three parachute battalions of the British 5th Parachute Brigade and the Oxf & Bucks of the 6th Airlanding Brigade. For those not yet in the know, this all revolves around the capture and holding of the two bridges across the Canal de Caen and the Orne River on D-Day and subsequent.

I think  @Aquila-SmartWargames was already making something similar not sure, if this was an Horsa, but there is something, you have to check in his big mod pack...if you dont find, and if nobody do it before, I can eventual have a try...

Edited by JM Stuff

4 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

I think  @Aquila-SmartWargames was already making something similar not sure, if this was an Horsa, but there is something, you have to check in his big mod pack...if you dont find, and if nobody do it before, I can eventual have a try...

I had a look at Aquila's glider file. It appears to my inexperienced eye to be oncomplete and currently not yet useable - by me.

6 minutes ago, WimO said:

I had a look at Aquila's glider file. It appears to my inexperienced eye to be oncomplete and currently not yet useable - by me.

Well Wim don't worry, I will check when I come back home, I am with my phone now we will find a solution!

Edit

I was working on a little today, tomorrow let you know but is not a Horsa seem to be more as a Wako CG !

OK  I have a Horsa but crashed, if is good for you I will after the map project working on, this one is without textures and materials I have to created all !

Edited by JM Stuff

Yes Phill go for it !

I was working on an existing one when I realized that is not a Horsa but a Wako, so loosing time...I was waiting to Wim answer that don t come so, I went to another project, the famous map project with Butschi tools, where I had a headeache with untill now, but slowly see the light with...

So yes Phill go for it, to have the possibility to finish  your worderfull job from the famous BEF very impressive job with modification, that will bring us again with enthousisam to the end of the forty...

Just in case you could need the 3d glider, I can let  you in your DroPhill a model that I already downloaded,... but I am sure that you will have already what you need, this will allowed me to performing and finish the map for the Belgian campaing 40.

So sorry WIm, to don t keep my words to finish your project.

Wako

defFX1D.jpg

this is the correct one 

FY9N5Od.jpg

but for the time alone, broken, and sad, without materials and textures..😁

Edited by JM Stuff

Wow! Thank you guys for the support. A crashed glider would be fine. for the first scenario - Operation Deadstick - gliders landed both intact and broken up by crashing. I will be happy to have either one. In a subsequent scenario - the reinforcing lift on DZ N I need to add 'quite a few'  landed gliders. Alhtough they landed in various 'conditions' of intactness or demolished, I am glad for anything at all.

As for creating buidings for you folks, let me know. My skills allow me only to do reskins. I do not have any modelling skills. Currently I am working on adding a few more Normandy modular skins for Operation Deadstick. I do this by 'walking' the ground on Google maps and taking screen shots of stone walls. Then I 'adjust' these to fit for CMBN. In this way I am currently adding some missing cornerstones to my existing collection. Unfortunately some of the reskins do not 'stretch' very nicely and need to be redone. This is especially true of buildings whose rows of stone are a bit slanted. The stretch then looks horrible.

22 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I will try but must negotiate for the Dunkirk building mods. :D

Canadians Whisky is the best, you enter already in Wim's, home, all negociations begin with one glass, the rest come alone...🥲

...I wonder if I don't have also something to negotiate...we will be three on the negociation table...🥲

I downloaded a free 3D model and the author is Mr Helijah. https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/airspeed-horsa-7febf28fb92a4189b71dd3796af78c51

It needed massive changes in Blender to get it to show as a flavor flave object. Just so you don't think it was plug n play 5 minutes.

Maybe 3 hours work I did renaming and editing. AND I still have a few things to fix.

264-in-prog.png

265-in-prog.png

2 hours ago, WimO said:

My skills allow me only to do reskins.

I know and you did an excellent job. I can do the textures myself. I was just having fun to try and "barter" for something. :D

I appreciate your help if I find an ASL scenario that I try to translate to CMFI FRANCE 1940 and then we know the name of the town near Dunkirk or it IS Dunkirk and then you can maybe do some photo research to make a new store front or hotel or whatever. You are a busy productive member of the community so it is not actually required for you to do reskins in order for me to do this Horsa for you. No charge!

I did want to say that we can experiment with making the Horsa an immobilized British truck instead of a flavor object. There are some advantages. You can have the troops try and get ammo from the "Horsa (truck)" and if fired at by the enemy, there is some sounds of the bullets hitting. This is your call of course. EDIT: also the troops can be loaded into the "Glider" and appear as reinforcements at a specific time in your scenario.

OK Wim, probably a few more days to iron out the remaining issues and then I provide you a dropbox link. I gotta go mow a few acres of dried brush/wildflowers.

Edited by kohlenklau

39 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I downloaded a free 3D model and the author is Mr Helijah. https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/airspeed-horsa-7febf28fb92a4189b71dd3796af78c51

It needed massive changes in Blender to get it to show as a flavor flave object. Just so you don't think it was plug n play 5 minutes.

Maybe 3 hours work I did renaming and editing. AND I still have a few things to fix.

264-in-prog.png

265-in-prog.png

A very nice one, just curious witsch flavour object you choose, for my part I was using a big one like farm, fountain, fountain large, ...

Just so you don't think it was plug n play 5 minutes., Maybe 3 hours work

don t tell me what I already know, we know both that, when we open Blender for a model it will take sometimes days,... frustrations and sometimes headaches, but this know only modders blender peoples, when they have to convert the model for CM in our lovely mdr files... 

...so just now, you have to break some nose or wings to have a perfect LZ, close to the bridge, and let doing the rest by Wim...

good job !

Edited by JM Stuff

46 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I did want to say that we can experiment with making the Horsa an immobilized British truck instead of a flavor object. There are some advantages. You can have the troops try and get ammo from the "Horsa (truck)" and if fired at by the enemy, there is some sounds of the bullets hitting. This is your call of course. EDIT: also the troops can be loaded into the "Glider" and appear as reinforcements at a specific time in your scenario.

The truck sounds like a great idea. Perfect in fact. The ability to go back in for supplies is so historical what happened.

Alrighty Mr. Wim, the Horsa Glider proceeds as usual for my Blender projects. Some areas I have capability to edit and "fix" and other areas are beyond my amateur skill level.

I used the British Bedford QLD GS truck as our host for the Horsa. I made a modtagged silhouette. I have edited the 3D model so the truck crew is up front as the pilots. You can if you want mod their helmets and uniforms to look more historical. The troops are in the glider having a smoke.

My memory failed me as usual and an immobilized truck cannot be an ammo dump.

There are a few "work-arounds" and you as the purchaser ($$$ :D ) can decide.

OPTION A is the gliders(trucks) status is purchased/edited as OK. So these gliders are not immobilized. To keep the driver AI from trying to avoid enemy fire by driving the glider (truck), you CAN play with heavy forest at the spot where they are initially deployed. (That might be a hassle with your Rembrandtian maps, I dunno). This did stop the movement. The Germans gain LOS to and fire at the gliders and some explosions and fire can occur and the gliders can be destroyed. Kind of cool.

OPTION B is you could go with immobilized gliders and the troops can no longer get into the glider and you no longer see the silhouette but you could purchase another unit of some other truck and set it as dismounted in the editor, deploy near the Horsa and it turns into an ammo crate flavor object that can be acquired by the troops. They would seem to be "near" the Horsa getting ammo.

EDIT: along with OPTION A or OPTION B, you might want to sprinkle some "inert" Horsa glider flavor objects on your map. These I will be trying to look crashed and damaged in a few ways. Nose wheel gone and maybe a wing ripped back a bit. I dunno. And maybe the ugliest situation of the upside down belly up crashed total write off.

Oh, note that in Option A above, you CAN purchase and set some glider (truck) status to burning or destroyed. The appearance is normal with no damage but you could deploy them into a wall or at an angle in a ditch.

@WimO Let me know your thoughts! By PM or whatever way...

271-in-prog.png

Edited by kohlenklau

On 7/9/2023 at 7:19 PM, kohlenklau said:

264-in-prog.png

265-in-prog.png

Looks sensational. 👍

Imagine that in a Normandy or Arnhem scenario!

Edited by Aragorn2002

Incredible! Just incredible work!

Yesterday I completed all but the flavor objects for my Bénouville-Ranville master map. It now includes Blainville-sur-Orne, Bénouville, Le Port, Ranville, Le Bas de Ranville, Le Haut de Ranville, Longueville, Hérouvillette, le Lieu Haras, Le Home, Le Mariquet and the ring contour. That will allow me to attempt to recreated the situations of the British Oxf & Bucks 6th Airlanding Bde as well as those of the 7th, 12th and 13th Para Bns, 5th Parachute Bde.  It does not go south far enough to capture the action of the Ulster Rifles who on D+1 moved beyond the ring contour to Longueval (note the difference LongueVILLE vs LongueVAL) and got engaged with the Germans to the SE in St. Honorine. While this would make very intersting game play, it would mean expanding the map even more and right now my computer can barely manage my current map before even adding any troops.

Likewise the area and operations to the north that involved the British 3rd Para Bde and the Canadian 1st Para Bn (sorry boys) are not covered.'

With Kohlenklau's creation of the Horsa glider for my project, this is now a collaborative project by the two authors, 'WimO and Kohlenklau'.. Three cheers.

In the meantime I have added another Benouville building skin - the 1909 building.

1909.jpg

Edited by WimO