Enemy at the gate

Jeff,

If you are intrested in getting this fantastic book I have a good lead for you. It is a first edition 1973 in very good + dust jacket. Hinges are a little loose, but they are not cracked. The price is $55 US. Here is some info.

Enemy At The Gates, by William Craig

The First Edition Book Shop

1502 East 15th street

Tulsa,Oklahoma 74120

(918) 582-1967

Della Kay McCulloch

*proprieter*

Also, I read this book after finding it at the local library.

Hope this helps. Good luck. It is really worth the trouble.

Woo hoo!

I feel lucky - I noticed a hardcover (think it's a first edition) at one of my local used bookstores and snatched it up for $15 last month. Great condition, too.

My original copy was lost in the U.S. Mail after I lent it to a friend; this one doesn't leave the state. smile.gif

Bottom line is - check your used bookstores! It's out there and it's not always a hundred dollars (or drachmas, or seashells, or whatever). Good luck!

-dale

This is probably not going to be terribly helpful to anyone, but three weeks ago I picked up a used paperback edition, with little hand-drawn sketches of all the weapons mentioned, at a bookstore in front of the American University in Beirut for the equivalent of about $5. They had a bunch in stock. The owner said that it was apparently quite a best-seller in Lebanon about a decade ago. But I guess the new generation doesn't really relate in the same way. If I'd known the book was a collector's item I'd have bought the whole lot of them.

[This message has been edited by nijis (edited 04-03-2000).]

• 9 months later...

Found it through the library system here in Canada. Maybe it helped that my mom is a retired librarian.

A truly fantastic book. Covers a great deal more than the movie will (as the film is just concerned with the sniper duel).

Chances are very good that they will reprint the book when the film comes out.

GAFF

Originally posted by KILLEM ALL:

Has there been any more word on the movie Enemy at the gate? I heard about it on here and have not seen it being mentioned on here ever since.

You came over and I showed you the freakin' trailer dip****. Besides where has your ugly ass been for the past week or so? Why didn't you come over to the SuperBowl party?

Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

You're the Enemy at the Gate! And you're ugly too.

OK, Nathan or Jim, quit using my old handle. mad.gif

-----------------------

NOTE: I know these two jokers, so don't flip out. wink.gif

EDIT: Whoops! Very old thread! The unregistered 'Ol' Blood & Guts' is probably *my* old handle that is no longer active due to Forum dropping out last May.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-29-2001).]

No don't pay $129!!!! The book "Enemy at the Gates" has nothing to do with the movie Enemy at the Gates which is based on teh book "War of the Rats". This book has been rereleased (it's a fiction book) and you can also find at at Barnes and Noble (if you are in the US) for $5.99.

Los

$129 from Amazon??? I bought my copy from Amazon for about $40-$45 if I remember correctly. It is old but is in very good condition (a little wear on the corners, but the jacket isn't ripped or anything). It is one of the best WW2 books I own and is one of the first I read as a kid.

------------------

Craig

"Only a madman would consider the possibility of war between the two states (France and Germany), for which, from our point of view, there is no rational or moral ground." - Chancellor Adolf Hitler, Oct. 14, 1933

Guest Madmatt

I literally stumbled on a used hardback copy of the 1972 Edition "Enemy at the Gates" at the local 1/2 Price Bookstore here for 6 dollars!!!

This is the genuine (and monumentally rare) William Craig version.

I have been looking for this book for several years. A great find and an awesome read so far.

It's also really good companion to either Hoyts "199 Days" or Beevoors "Stalingrad" which are both good books but much more operational in coverage. I prefer "Enemies", from-the-trenches style portrayal.

Madmatt

For everyone looking for a copy of Enemy at the Gates, I just visited my local Borders and lo and behold there was a copy sitting on the new release rack (re-release due to the movie).

Price was $14.00

Hey gaffertape! Since you predicted this would happen, do you mind giving us some lottery numbers too? smile.gif

LimShady

[This message has been edited by LimShady (edited 01-29-2001).]