Creating Maps with CMAutoEditor

Butschi

11 hours ago, Butschi said:

I just released CMAutoEditor 2.3.

https://github.com/DerButschi/CMAutoEditor/releases/tag/2.3

The main feature is a new profile, CMBS.

Hi @Butschi,

Can you please remind us what profiles are now featured in CMAutoEditor ?

Which, if I understand correctly, translates into: "what games is CMAutoEditor  compatible with"?

1 hour ago, PEB14 said:

Hi @Butschi,

Can you please remind us what profiles are now featured in CMAutoEditor ?

Which, if I understand correctly, translates into: "what games is CMAutoEditor  compatible with"?

Sure, there is a profile for CW, FI, SF2 and BS now. "Profile" means CMAutoEditor knows which buttons are where (and which exist) so that when there is a tile with e.g. Ground Grass T it knows where to click. In addition it contains information about which buildings are available so that osm2cm can correctly assign them.

Elevations work for all titles. Not having a profile doesn't mean 100% incompatible but it gets a bit dirty and tedious. With very similar titles you get away with using the other profile for many tiles. (Plus you can adapt the osm config file to kind of translate between titles by using the tile that sits in the right place in a different profile).

Hope that helps?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 2:19 PM, FRO71 said:

I'm facing problems running the autoeditor. It does the clicking not on the map but on the function buttons, finally accidentially starting the 3D-Map Preview. The map remains completely unedited.

Can you give me a hint? Much appreciated!

FRO71

Since others may stumble across this issue, too, and may not be looking for the solution on github: CMAutoEditor does not, generally, work with Windows display scaling. If the value found under Settings -> Display -> Scale and layout is not at 100%, buttons have different sizes and positions than in the original version. Since CMAutoEditor has no way of finding out where those buttons really are (their positions have to be coded), this will produce weird results.

You can leave the scaling at a different value than 100%, though, by setting it for CM specifically: Right click on the corresponding application (e.g. "CM Cold War"), click "Properties", go to the tab "Compatibility" and click "Change high DPI settings". Under "High DPI scaling override" check the box "Override high DPI scaling behaviour" and set "Scaling performed by" to "Application". Did the trick for me, at least. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I've managed to get the dgm2cm tool to work. 

I can get satellite elevation data from anywhere in the world and apply it to CM now. 

If anyone would like to know how to do this process then I can help you. It's actually super simple. 

• 2 weeks later...

Short Teaser: Actually, I didn't want to do this because there are good tools out there... but over the last year or so there were so many questions, calls for help and even an offer to pay me for making a map that I came to realize that maybe, just maybe not everyone out there is a map nerd or geodesy scholar. :D So, I have been clobbering something together that should make getting those elevation maps (and possibly OSM, too, at a later stage) into CMAutoEditor as comfortable (and fool proof!) as possible.

More info to come but I will close with asking for help myself: Are there any volunteers out there willing to beta test this tool? If so, please PM me! 🙂

I see it the Github you have an example of the example_height_map.csv for doing the elevations.  I cant see an example of the terrain file though.

I can also see the branch for CMBN how can I help to get this added as I am thinking of a campaign that I want to do and the CMAutoEditor would help

43 minutes ago, StoneAge said:

I see it the Github you have an example of the example_height_map.csv for doing the elevations.  I cant see an example of the terrain file though.

I can also see the branch for CMBN how can I help to get this added as I am thinking of a campaign that I want to do and the CMAutoEditor would help

You can port maps between titles. So make the heightmap in CMCW or CMBS and then port it over. Piece of cake

On 2/7/2024 at 11:35 PM, Butschi said:

Short Teaser: Actually, I didn't want to do this because there are good tools out there... but over the last year or so there were so many questions, calls for help and even an offer to pay me for making a map that I came to realize that maybe, just maybe not everyone out there is a map nerd or geodesy scholar. :D So, I have been clobbering something together that should make getting those elevation maps (and possibly OSM, too, at a later stage) into CMAutoEditor as comfortable (and fool proof!) as possible.

More info to come but I will close with asking for help myself: Are there any volunteers out there willing to beta test this tool? If so, please PM me! 🙂

Following this with great interest.

5 hours ago, StoneAge said:

I guess by "terrain file" you mean a file with data from OpenStreetMap? There is no example file for that... Hm... Back in the day I added the example_height_map file when elevations were the only thing CMAutoEditor could do, so people could check out the tool works at all. OSM stuff is different for each title so I'd need an example file for each one.

I think the CMBN profile is mostly done except for the default config file. If you'd like to do that it would speed things up.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on this map and testing things out. Yes the tool is excellent. Takes a while to make adjustments on all of the terrain, buildings, and flavor objects though. Also I wish 18+ square KM maps didn't crash out of memory on my system after testing against the AI for a bunch of turns. I am really liking this opelkadet mod.

car2.jpg