Creating Maps with CMAutoEditor

Butschi

1 hour ago, Dawntaker said:

I see, that would probably limit the data to only be useful for parts of the middle east that are fairly flat and lack the trees and urban density to mess with the data.

Well, so far I only gave it a cursory check. So there is still room for gaining fame and glory by taking a closer look. :D

3 hours ago, Butschi said:

Well, so far I only gave it a cursory check. So there is still room for gaining fame and glory by taking a closer look. :D

Did a bit more digging and you're right, the ALOS data is DEM/DSM which means its affected by buildings and trees. However the commercial 5m version has a DTM option which is the bare ground, but you know have to pay for that :(

On 4/12/2023 at 9:07 PM, Butschi said:

I also released update 2.0.1.

Minor update that adds support for comma separated xyz data.

https://github.com/DerButschi/CMAutoEditor/releases/latest/download/release.zip

@samuraiman This should fix the issue with your data.

Ā 

Installed the new version, the dgm2cm program kept crashing whenever I attempted to run it.

1 hour ago, nathangun said:

Ā 

Installed the new version, the dgm2cm program kept crashing whenever I attempted to run it.

I do want to help you but you have to give a little more to work with than a generic "keeps crashing".

EDIT: Never mind, I see the problem. The "baking" process seems to have gone wrong or something like that.

Edited by Butschi

11 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Yeah so I'm running into errors installing the requirements.

When I deleted line 4, it told me that the files were outdated (pic 2):

wth.png

wth2.png

https://github.com/DerButschi /CMAutoEditor#building-from-source

As per the Readme, pip install is no longer supported. Do

conda create -n py310_cmautoeditor -c conda-forge --override-channels --file conda_requirements_py310.txt

(everything in one line) instead.

33 minutes ago, Butschi said:

https://github.com/DerButschi /CMAutoEditor#building-from-source

As per the Readme, pip install is no longer supported. Do

(everything in one line) instead.

I had actually done that and let it complete earlier. I just tried it again and it looked like it ran into an error I then tried to run the converter again without success, same issue:

eh.png

I can't reproduce your problem but I assume this is because I have the package cached in some way. Right. I had replaced the requirements.txt with this explicit conda list in order to let you guys install something in python without having to actually install something in python and to make sure nobody tries to do pip install ...

Ok, I've re-added the requirements.txt

Try this:

conda create -n py310_cmautoeditor -c conda-forge --override-channels python==3.10.9

conda install -c conda-forge --override-channels --file requirements.txt

And then do

conda activate py310_cmautoeditor

every time you want to do something with CMAutoEditor. Really, please do. Don't make me tell you a third time. šŸ˜‰

Hope, that helps...

Edited by Butschi

Gentlemen, you would help me a great deal if you could report bugs and crashes here

https://github.com/DerButschi/CMAutoEditor/issues

and use the bug reporting template. That way I can get things a little more structured, I hope, and it will help you provide me with the information I need in order to fix your problem.

Thanks! šŸ™‚

Ā 

Edited by Butschi

I haven't installed the new version, I don't really need to.

I'm deciding if I should draw in all the "Land use - Farmland" field boundaries in JSOM, which is very time consuming as I reckon I need about 15-20 maps for my multi player campaign.

Maybe just hand draw generic crops in the cm map editor.

@Butschi Did you do a CMFI profile or is it in the works?

Edited by nathangun

4 hours ago, nathangun said:

I haven't installed the new version, I don't really need to.

I'm deciding if I should draw in all the "Land use - Farmland" field boundaries in JSOM, which is very time consuming as I reckon I need about 15-20 maps for my multi player campaign.

Maybe just hand draw generic crops in the cm map editor.

@Butschi Did you do a CMFI profile or is it in the works?

Hm, yeah in the region you are interested in, farmland isn't really marked in many cases. Well, I'd say do whatever works best for you. Alas, making maps still involves some manual work. šŸ˜‰Ā 

Yes, the CMFI profile is on github already. Once I'm done fine tuning the default OSM config I'll also make an "official release".

Love the look of your tool Butschi! As a mapper this makes me excited- but!

The campaign I'm about to start is gonna be SF2 and I don't own CW, but do own FI. Do you foresee any issues with-

- Me making the map in SF2 with just the normal CW or FI profile?

Or

-Making the map in FI and porting it to SF2?

I know non-modular buildings break converting maps from one CM title to another but I have no extra cross-title knowledge than that really xD

Ā 

Any help or advice would be grand!

On 4/22/2023 at 8:49 PM, NorseNerd said:

Love the look of your tool Butschi! As a mapper this makes me excited- but!

The campaign I'm about to start is gonna be SF2 and I don't own CW, but do own FI. Do you foresee any issues with-

- Me making the map in SF2 with just the normal CW or FI profile?

Or

-Making the map in FI and porting it to SF2?

I know non-modular buildings break converting maps from one CM title to another but I have no extra cross-title knowledge than that really xD

Ā 

Any help or advice would be grand!

Wish I could tell you with any certainty. SF2 is the one title I don't own. Unfortunately, I don't have any clue about porting maps between titles... The simplest (not necessarily the easiest) way would be to look atĀ https://github.com/DerButschi/CMAutoEditor/tree/master/profiles/fortress_italy

If the code there makes any sense to you (and I could help a little with that), you could easily make your own SF2 profile.

I gave it a trial run using the example.csv and ran into a few issues which I mostly solved but thought I'd mention.

One was that the hitting the countdown and then clicking back to the CM editor didn't seem to do anything but the autoeditor would be moving the mouse in the background outside the CM editor. I found that actually alt-tabbing and then clicking somewhere on the cm editor seemed to work the best.

Another issue was that once it was clicking the right program, it was clicking on the map but the elevation editor was set to "none". I found setting the CM editor to "direct" first fixed this.

The last issue I ran into was gaps in the output that was mentioned in the OP due to the autoeditor clicking too fast. If I were to adjust the speed setting and compile myself, what is the variable name in cmautoeditor.py? Is it pyautogui.PAUSE = 0.05 on line 33? If it is, what would be a good setting for a slower computer?

7 hours ago, Butschi said:

Wish I could tell you with any certainty. SF2 is the one title I don't own. Unfortunately, I don't have any clue about porting maps between titles... The simplest (not necessarily the easiest) way would be to look atĀ https://github.com/DerButschi/CMAutoEditor/tree/master/profiles/fortress_italy

If the code there makes any sense to you (and I could help a little with that), you could easily make your own SF2 profile.

The law of sod strikes again!

I'll have a goose at the code when I'm not limited to mobile on holiday, and I'll take some screen grabs of SF2's editor layout for you to look at and compare maybe?

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I gave it a trial run using the example.csv and ran into a few issues which I mostly solved but thought I'd mention.

One was that the hitting the countdown and then clicking back to the CM editor didn't seem to do anything but the autoeditor would be moving the mouse in the background outside the CM editor. I found that actually alt-tabbing and then clicking somewhere on the cm editor seemed to work the best.

Another issue was that once it was clicking the right program, it was clicking on the map but the elevation editor was set to "none". I found setting the CM editor to "direct" first fixed this.

The last issue I ran into was gaps in the output that was mentioned in the OP due to the autoeditor clicking too fast. If I were to adjust the speed setting and compile myself, what is the variable name in cmautoeditor.py? Is it pyautogui.PAUSE = 0.05 on line 33? If it is, what would be a good setting for a slower computer?

Ok, mind hopping over to github and opening an issue? Please use the template, I need more information to make sense of this.

For instance, the GUI should explicitly tell you that have to click "Direct" yourself.

Thanks!

Yes, pyautogui.PAUSE is the variable you need to change here. Try doubling the value, maybe? I can really only guess.

Ā 

Edited by Butschi

1 hour ago, Butschi said:

Ok, mind hopping over to github and opening an issue? Please use the template, I need more information to make sense of this.

For instance, the GUI should explicitly tell you that have to click "Direct" yourself.

Thanks!

Yes, pyautogui.PAUSE is the variable you need to change here. Try doubling the value, maybe? I can really only guess.

Ā 

Actually, there's probably no need, unless you want it documented? The first issue was fixed by running the cmautoeditor.exe as an Administrator. If you're using a Conda build, you set the python.exe in theĀ C:\Users\<username>\.conda\envs\py310_cmautoeditor folder to run as Admin.

The 2nd issue, well doh! to me, it's right there in the GUI, lol. Sorry! didn't rtfm.

With the speed issue, setting it to 0.10 works nicely.

On 4/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, Pinetree said:

Actually, there's probably no need, unless you want it documented? The first issue was fixed by running the cmautoeditor.exe as an Administrator. If you're using a Conda build, you set the python.exe in theĀ C:\Users\<username>\.conda\envs\py310_cmautoeditor folder to run as Admin.

The 2nd issue, well doh! to me, it's right there in the GUI, lol. Sorry! didn't rtfm.

With the speed issue, setting it to 0.10 works nicely.

No, that's fine with me. I just wanted to prevent cluttering the thread with specifics of your system and such (because your description did sound weird). Thanks for sharing your solutions.

I'd generally advise against running python with admin rights but if it works for you that way... (just don't try to hold me accountable if my code ends up accidentally deleting your windows folder :D). Still strange because I don't even have a clue how I could make pyautogui work in background if I wanted to. Oh well.

Ā 

Edited by Butschi

On 4/24/2023 at 8:09 AM, NorseNerd said:

The law of sod strikes again!

I'll have a goose at the code when I'm not limited to mobile on holiday, and I'll take some screen grabs of SF2's editor layout for you to look at and compare maybe?

I can certainly take a look at your screenshots and tell you just how screwed you are. šŸ˜‰

when I try to run geotiff2cm.py in conda, I'm getting this error:

(py310_cmautoeditor) C:\Users\NEW\Documents\Battlefront\CMAutoEditor>python geotiff2cm.py --input-file w46590_s10.tif --output-file orsogna_elevation.csv --bounding-box 4326, 14.273, 42.21189, 14.29579, 42.22942
Traceback (most recent call last):
Ā  File "C:\Users\NEW\Documents\Battlefront\CMAutoEditor\geotiff2cm.py", line 169, in <module>
Ā Ā Ā  process_geotiff(args)
Ā  File "C:\Users\NEW\Documents\Battlefront\CMAutoEditor\geotiff2cm.py", line 72, in process_geotiff
Ā Ā Ā  epsg = int(args.bounding_box[0])
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '4326,'

Ā 

Edit: Worked it out, no commas in between the bounding box values just spaces. e.g:

python geotiff2cm.py --input-file w46590_s10.tif --output-file orsogna_elevation.csv --bounding-box 4326 14.273 42.21189 14.29579 42.22942

Edited by Pinetree
found the error.