Creating Maps with CMAutoEditor

Butschi

17 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Hi Nico, @Butschi I try again your tool and I was also downloaded the geoportal but this one is only for germany and only NRW not another part, when I try to working on the part in the triangle from lux bel france just on the border, do you know how I can have the same infos with another tool similar as geoportal, about topography, and eventual everywhere I will try to build a scenario ?

You have to google search for websites for each the municipalities in these areas, local administration offices for each county, province etc.. and search for dgm1 data.

23 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Hi Nico, @Butschi I try again your tool and I was also downloaded the geoportal but this one is only for germany and only NRW not another part, when I try to working on the part in the triangle from lux bel france just on the border, do you know how I can have the same infos with another tool similar as geoportal, about topography, and eventual everywhere I will try to build a scenario ?

Quick summary of what I already posted here a few times:

There is no "one source to rule them all". I made a list of sources for elevation models:

https://github.com/DerButschi/CMAutoEditor/wiki

At those locations you will find other useful resources, too.

You are very welcome to share your findings.

Edit: If you need help with any particular region you have to be more specific. 😉 But please try to do a little research yourself, this can't be an effort by just me.

Edited by Butschi

14 minutes ago, Butschi said:

There is no "one source to rule them all". I made a list of sources for elevation models:

Here's a geoportal for Wallonie (Bastogne area I think) in Belgium

https://geoportail.wallonie.be/walonmap#BBOX=236616.29773092878,260726.50220133775,73088.01499894651,82216.15825523302

Edited by nathangun

2 minutes ago, nathangun said:

That's a very good source (if your French isn't too rusty) but this is Wallonie only, and saying it is for the whole of Belgium could be quite dangerous in some places. :D

4 minutes ago, Butschi said:

That's a very good source (if your French isn't too rusty) but this is Wallonie only, and saying it is for the whole of Belgium could be quite dangerous in some places. :D

I'll correct it, how about this?

https://geoportail.wallonie.be/walonmap#BBOX=243617.08744431572,248439.12833839754,114511.97758475704,116337.60623601436

Tony @Butschi or @nathangun I stick with instructions I was downloading all about  :

Creating CMCW Maps with CMAutoEditor - Part 1 now I am with the QGIS program and try to have connection but I dont know how I can enter the name and the URL ! perhaps easy for both of you but me I dont find it how ?

Do I have to come back the other programm to find the localisation like JOSM ?

3aQpQlj.jpg

7 hours ago, Butschi said:

Edit: If you need help with any particular region you have to be more specific. 😉 But please try to do a little research yourself, this can't be an effort by just me.

Here's one for Italy: http://tinitaly.pi.ingv.it/Download_Area1_1.html

DTM is 10m in Geotiff format and EPSG is 32632. And it's free.

On 5/26/2023 at 1:04 AM, JM Stuff said:

Tony @Butschi or @nathangun I stick with instructions I was downloading all about  :

Creating CMCW Maps with CMAutoEditor - Part 1 now I am with the QGIS program and try to have connection but I dont know how I can enter the name and the URL ! perhaps easy for both of you but me I dont find it how ?

Do I have to come back the other programm to find the localisation like JOSM ?

3aQpQlj.jpg

Is that for the aerial photos?

1 hour ago, nathangun said:

Is that for the aerial photos?

Thanks for coming back, yes aerial photos, to have the topography, Edit and old pictures from the past...I'm following the video instructions step by step, my question to both of you was because, it's free but I have to be registered to use the datas, I have my name everywhere  (joking ) and I wanted to avoid this part, but it's understanding...

Edited by JM Stuff

I couldn't find old photos for maps I was drawing, if you can find a site that has old photos for the area you are doing all well and good. It's handy, but you can use common sense to determine if a warehouse/highway/shopping centre/housing neighbourhood were there in the 1940's and change the JOSM file. You don't need to be railroaded into "real historic terrain" one should allow for artistic license and that's my excuse and I'll be sticking to it.

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

Thanks for coming back, yes aerial photos, to have the topography, Edit and old pictures from the past...I'm following the video instructions step by step, my question to both of you was because, it's free but I have to be registered to use the datas, I have my name everywhere  (joking ) and I wanted to avoid this part, but it's understanding...

What aerial photos are you trying to use?

4 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

What aerial photos are you trying to use?

I was trying to have some view from the past to trying to remove some "things buildings... no existing on t this time, but I will let it fall and make a simple map with some elevations I was thinking to do it quickly but I am now 2 days on, I give up with this part, and foccus on simple things I just take care that any highway are not on  !

This is the map that I would like to do from the belgian webside gouv,

https://geoportail.wallonie.be/walonmap#BBOX=245762.0939972624,246799.92419792278,59853.67744646529,60393.42852596746

and for the time I searching the way to download (in files) elevation of the map like Butschi did with the NRW geoportal, but I have probably to contact the geo services to have access to the (phisicals) datas, because I don t find the way to download them !

You were giving me the possibilities to download datas from Italy, but for the belgian side I don t know how I have to do it, perhaps we have only a view of datas but cannot download it without permission, this is the step that I am now !

Or probably I have "to improve my french" to find the way, how I have to do it, also be registred I don t find the way untill now !!

I created "myself" a map with infos that I could need save it in the geoportal but I have only a view on, I am not able to download it (in files physically) in the way of Butschi or like you show me...

Uxf0kMv.jpg

Edited by JM Stuff

5 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

and for the time I searching the way to download (in files) elevation of the map like Butschi did with the NRW geoportal,

You can find the link to the elevation data on the wiki page I posted above. It links to a page on geo.be, use the first link under  Downloads there. It is a large geotiff, 411 MB, for the whole of Belgium plus it is 20m x 20m so you have to process it the way I showed in the the tutorial video about converting geotiffs.

2 hours ago, Butschi said:

You can find the link to the elevation data on the wiki page I posted above. It links to a page on geo.be, use the first link under  Downloads there. It is a large geotiff, 411 MB, for the whole of Belgium plus it is 20m x 20m so you have to process it the way I showed in the the tutorial video about converting geotiffs.

Many thanks I will check it !

1 hour ago, nathangun said:

Not sure if anyone posted this site, I think its has geotiff data for nearly everywhere.

link: heightmapper

Interesting, though the data there is at least in parts SRTM and EU-DEM which are both digital surface models which means (sorry to keep on harping about that) tree tops and buildings, so probably not very useful.

A pity... Seems like there really is no one source to rule them all.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to make this work with maps of Ukraine and having a lot of trouble getting anything to work right, even after watching the tutorials and trying to follow along. Does anybody who has had luck with this feel like helping me make a base map for a campaign centered on the current counteroffensive efforts in the Robotnye/Tokmak axis? 

On 8/28/2023 at 9:16 AM, TheFriendlyFelon said:

I'm trying to make this work with maps of Ukraine and having a lot of trouble getting anything to work right, even after watching the tutorials and trying to follow along. Does anybody who has had luck with this feel like helping me make a base map for a campaign centered on the current counteroffensive efforts in the Robotnye/Tokmak axis? 

Could you please outline what kind of issue(s) you are facing?