CMBN STEAM key

So can those of us who bought CMBN years ago from BFC get a STEAM key?  I bought the original release, as well as subsequent expansions and upgrades.  I tried registering my game using my various BFC license keys over at Slitherine with no success.  If we do qualify for the STEAM key will we get it through BFC, Slitherine, or otherwise? 

Will the STEAM version just be the base game or the whole kit for CMBN?

Thanks

If it works the same way that it did for the previous titles, then you will be able to redeem your BFC key as a steam key, probably when this is actually released on Steam later in the month. Whatever your BFC key(s) can do, this steam key(s) should be able to do, so whatever DLC has been purchased.

It's worth saying that there is no guarantee of this actually being the case. Just because they've done it in the past does not mean they are bound to do it in the future. They probably will, but there's no requirement for this to actually happen.

Thanks for the info, although I bought all their WWII offerings as soon as available from BFC, I had not picked up any of their modern warfare games until they were released on STEAM, so this is my first time around with trying to get an older game I own of theirs recognized on STEAM.  Hopefully they will stay true to form for CMBN.

Just curious...   With all the problems people are having with Steam, why not just buy the games direct from BF and get updates as soon as they come out instead of waiting for weeks?  Normally, folks here are very impatient.  But, Steam seems to get a "get out of jail free" card.

16 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Just curious...   With all the problems people are having with Steam, why not just buy the games direct from BF and get updates as soon as they come out instead of waiting for weeks?  Normally, folks here are very impatient.  But, Steam seems to get a "get out of jail free" card.

Agree with you Erwin I prefer also to buy the CM games in Battlefront, only that sometimes the price is so different that you can not avoid to fall in the temptation, this was the case for me with CMBS.

I could wish only that Steam Battlefront and Sidlerine make "a deal" to keep all keys CM games buying to them without restrictions because sometimes is really heavy to introduce the good one, only now with the ver 4.0 with all the pack are without problems and this is a good progress.

26 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I am just a bit lazy, I have the battlefront version, bougt the 1.0 version (many years ago), and all of the upgrades and packs. reinstalling is a bit of a mission on its own though, also steam usually keeps things up-to-date for me.

Edited by PeterBezemer

2 hours ago, PeterBezemer said:

reinstalling is a bit of a mission on its own though

I think the 'all-in-one' installers are designed to simplify the process?  You download one installer, run it, enter your code to verify it, and Bob's your uncle you're up to date.

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

You download one installer, run it, enter your code to verify it, and Bob's your uncle you're up to date.

Yeah...   That's what I do every year or two as sometimes updates do strange things.  So easy.  In all other issues, gamers want things yesterday.  With Steam users, they seem happy to wait for weeks/months to get what BF purchasers get immediately.  Weird.  Plus I like that BF gets 100% of my money.

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

Yeah...   That's what I do every year or two as sometimes updates do strange things.  So easy.  In all other issues, gamers want things yesterday.  With Steam users, they seem happy to wait for weeks/months to get what BF purchasers get immediately.  Weird.  Plus I like that BF gets 100% of my money.

To each their own - BFC has already received 100% of my money over many years for all their WWII titles, but if I can also have the convenience of having the games on STEAM using my existing license, that is a nice quality of life improvement that is much appreciated. 

Now, if they would just put out a CMX2 (or CMX3) Barbarossa game, I can die happy 😉

On 3/16/2023 at 3:56 PM, Redwolf said:

Matrix didn't release it yet. You can only do that when the Matrix and Steam releases are out.

Matrix support confirmed in an email that you must register the game on the 'My Page' area of your Slitherine/Matrix account after the game is released.  I am assuming under 'REGISTER SERIAL' option that CMBN will appear in the dropdown.

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=93585

My Matrix and Steam accounts are linked, so I see all my Steam purchases on the Matrix 'My Page'.

Seems in these cases the actual mechanics never play out the way the publishers describe, but I'm hoping once the 'REGISTER...' process is complete, CMBN will appear in the Steam library automatically.  Fingers crossed.

42 minutes ago, GeoffP said:

Matrix support confirmed in an email that you must register the game on the 'My Page' area of your Slitherine/Matrix account after the game is released.  I am assuming under 'REGISTER SERIAL' option that CMBN will appear in the dropdown.

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=93585

My Matrix and Steam accounts are linked, so I see all my Steam purchases on the Matrix 'My Page'.

Seems in these cases the actual mechanics never play out the way the publishers describe, but I'm hoping once the 'REGISTER...' process is complete, CMBN will appear in the Steam library automatically.  Fingers crossed.

If you manage to get a Matrix/Slitherine key with your battlefront key, a steam serial appears at your Matrix/Slitherine page.

With this key you can add your game to steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/account/registerkey

(as far as I know the Matrix-Steam link doesn't register your M/S games at steam automatically)

Edited by PeterBezemer

Looks like BFC confirmed the above responses, thanks to all:

On 3/23/2023 at 10:44 PM, BFCElvis said:

At Battlefront we've never used, although we understand,  the expression DLC. For CMBN's release on Steam this Monday it refers to everything that is currently available.  

To eliminate any gray area.....The Steam release will have the Commonwealth and Markets Garden modules and the Vehicle Pack and Battle Pack 1 available for purchase on the 28th. 

If you currently own any of them, instructions for getting Steam keys, at no additional charge, for what you own will be posted on the 28th (spoiler alert....the instructions will look a lot like the CMSF2 redemption instructions)

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2023 at 1:52 PM, PeterBezemer said:

If you manage to get a Matrix/Slitherine key with your battlefront key, a steam serial appears at your Matrix/Slitherine page.

With this key you can add your game to steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/account/registerkey

(as far as I know the Matrix-Steam link doesn't register your M/S games at steam automatically)

That all worked well and the Steam version is installed, too. But how do I copy my mods, scenarios and saved games from the BFC version to Steam? Or play PBEM++ with the 4.04 BFC version? @BFCElvis?

20 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

That all worked well and the Steam version is installed, too. But how do I copy my mods, scenarios and saved games from the BFC version to Steam?

In Steam, right click on the game in your Library. In the dropdown menu that appears move the cursor over Manage and then select "browse local files". From there you will see the Game Files folder to put scenarios, saved games, etc in. You will also find the Data folder to place your mods.

Or play PBEM++ with the 4.04 BFC version? @BFCElvis?

You have found something that needs to be fixed, without even intentionally doing so. The Steam game manual is not the most current manual. We need to correct that. If it were the correct manual it would say this on page 30:

 Slitherine Automated PBEM (PBEM++)

Some Combat Mission games have the PBEM++ system, in addition to our standard Play by Email system. The game itself plays the same with PBEM++ as it does with our standard Play by Email, but PBEM++ adds some features that streamline the experience.

You will need a Matrix Games or Slitherine Games account to use this feature. You can set up a free account at https://www.matrixgames.com/register.

When you attempt to use PBEM++, by either creating a battle, accepting a Challenge or playing a game in process, you will be prompted to log in. You can also log in by opening Options from the main menu and click “PBEM2 Login”. Enter your Matrix/Slitherine user name, password and your email address. T

The game will remember your user name and email address, so you will only need to enter your password. If you would like to communicate via email with your opponent click the box next to Share Email when logging in.

Note: If the game remains idle for an hour or longer you will be logged out. Go to Options from the main screen and click on PBEM2 Login to log back in.

Setting Up a PBEM++ Battle

To start a battle with the PBEM++ system either choose a premade scenario or set up a Quick Battle. When setting up battle select the “2 Players - Automated PBEM++” mode of play. At this time you may enter a password if you wish for a specific opponent to be able to play the battle against you. The battle has then been created and appears in the Challenge lobby.

Playing a PBEM++ Battle

All battles available for play are in the Automated PBEM++ Challenges lobby. This can be found by going into the "Saved Games & PBEM portion of Combat Mission from the Opening menu. A drop down menu will present you with several choices. “Automated PBEM++ Challenges” is where you will find battles that are available to be played. You will see the battle that you created listed there, along with battles that others have created that are available for play. To play a battle, simply select a battle from the list and click on “Fight!”. If the battle is password protected, a "*" will appear next to the battle name: you will need the password from the creator of the Challenge to play these battles.

Once you have completed your turn, the file will automatically be uploaded to our servers and sent to your opponent. When you opponent completes their turn you will receive an email notification. Select the "Saved Games & PBEM" option in the Opening menu and use the drop menu to select “Automated PBEM++ In Progress”. You will see your game turn there. Select the turn that you want to play and click on “Fight!”. Continue this until the battle has concluded.

42 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

In Steam, right click on the game in your Library. In the dropdown menu that appears move the cursor over Manage and then select "browse local files". From there you will see the Game Files folder to put scenarios, saved games, etc in. You will also find the Data folder to place your mods.

You have found something that needs to be fixed, without even intentionally doing so. The Steam game manual is not the most current manual. We need to correct that. If it were the correct manual it would say this on page 30:

Ahhh, you believe I would have read to page 30…. 😉

Thanks, John. Helpful as always! I‘ll give it a try later tonight.

3 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Hi John, worked so far. Mods, scenario and campaigns collections are copied to Steam. But though I used my "Big Bundle Update" serial number to get my Steam key, it seems that Steam did not install the various modules. Do I have to get individual Steam keys for all of them? Sorry for question, but it´s too late for me to try tonight...

17 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Do I have to get individual Steam keys for all of them? 

Correct. As with the Battlefront version, when you install the game everything is installed. The license keys "unlock" the content. 

From the how to get your Steam key post:

·        Note that if you bought a bundle from Battlefront you will only have one serial for all the games in the bundle. To redeem all the pieces of your bundle as Steam keys you will need to register that serial for each part of the bundle. E.g. if you purchased the base game and Commonwealth bundle you would register that serial twice, once to the base game and once to the DLC. Each will generate a unique Steam key for that piece of content on Steam and must be redeemed on Steam separately. 

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Ahhh, you believe I would have read to page 30…. 😉

It wouldn't have helped if you had. You brought to my attention that the wrong manual is with the Steam CMBN installation. It doesn't have the PBEM++ information in it. I grab what I posted from the manual that installs with Cold War.

11 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

It wouldn't have helped if you had. You brought to my attention that the wrong manual is with the Steam CMBN installation. It doesn't have the PBEM++ information in it. I grab what I posted from the manual that installs with Cold War.

Then my insistence helped at least a little.

Forget my previous question. I managed to activate all modules.

Seems all is good now.

Next question: How do I explain the bleary eyes to my boss tomorrow? But we‘ll cross that bridge when we get there… !-)

Edited by StieliAlpha