New PC: AMD or Intel

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

There used to be problems with AMD (smoke not appearing??).

I think this more an issue of AMD graphics cards than of AMD processors.

2 hours ago, landser said:

My box has a Ryzen 5 and no issues with Combat Mission.

Ahh...thank you! That's good to know!

Yeah amd seems to give you equal single core performance no matter the chip (Ryzen 5, 7, and 9?). The benefit of buying the better amd chips will just give you that extra multithreading performance.  

I would give a look at cpubenchmark.net either way, and compare scores. Single core score in particular is important for CM. High scores on the leaderboards are averages of multiple systems tested. I have no doubt that most of those systems were overclocked. But whatever they can do -you can do too. 

Higher clock speeds seem to affect the single core performance a lot. I know I can feel the difference in CM when I bumped my i5 9600k from stock (3.3?) to 4.8Ghz

Also I went with Nvidia because they have better opengl performance. I came to my conclusion after using this website:

https://gfxbench.com/result.jsp

you can filter everything out except for desktop OpenGl, so you can get a pretty good idea of how well the graphics card will perform in CM. 

Additionally, I would recommend a high end set of ram, because now it makes a huge difference in fps. 

A set of G Skill ram with their tight timings can make your system 10-20% faster in games. It's not about the speed of the ram, but instead the "timings".

One more thing: I dont pay for my own electricity. I also like my home heated in the winter. Therefore I bought Nvidia. 

If you want to have a card that wont rape your power bill, AMD is the way to go. They have mastered efficiency. Their chips are actually MUCH faster than Intel or Nvidia chips watt for watt. This is extremely important to think about

Edited by Artkin

16 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I would give a look at cpubenchmark.net either way, and compare scores.

That's an interesting link. In the end, however, the question is always how much money you want to spend. Are you satisfied with the performance of your processor in Comabt Mission? (My target chip would be a bit higher in the charts).

2 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

That's an interesting link. In the end, however, the question is always how much money you want to spend. Are you satisfied with the performance of your processor in Comabt Mission? (My target chip would be a bit higher in the charts).

I am very satisfied with the current level of performance. I was once able to open Rad-Full 2, a 5.7x5.7km map. I opened it in CMCW with the NTC setting set. I havent been able to get it open since. That is a benchmark in CM performance if you ask me.

Otherwise I can comfortably play games with a couple battalions on each side of a massive map. I can load one of the CMRT Berlin maps and navigate close to lag free. It's absolutely possible. 

Once I start using regiments for both sides (3 vs 3 battalions) then things start lagging in CMRT. I think CMCW would go further since maps are less laggy despite being the same one converted from other titles. 

I have always found CMCW, CMFB, and CMRT to be the top performers in the fps department. Cmcw being the fastest

I have a Ryzen 3700x with a Nvidia rtx2070super gpu. I would say amd cpus compete very well to same gen intel and at times even surpass though thats a complicated subject with loads of variables.

CMCW performs terribly for me on larger scale deployment zones. Like... terribly terrible! It smooths out once you are passed the deployment phase but I cannot even get to that point in some scenarios unfortunately.

Basically, until the series sees significant performance improvements it wont really matter what spec your rig is, it will still underperform. Stay away from AMD GPUs though, there are forums and steam discussions everywhere right now about driver issues after updates causing all kinds of chaos. Very unstable by the sounds of it

3 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

I have a Ryzen 3700x with a Nvidia rtx2070super gpu. I would say amd cpus compete very well to same gen intel and at times even surpass though thats a complicated subject with loads of variables.

CMCW performs terribly for me on larger scale deployment zones. Like... terribly terrible! It smooths out once you are passed the deployment phase but I cannot even get to that point in some scenarios unfortunately.

Basically, until the series sees significant performance improvements it wont really matter what spec your rig is, it will still underperform. Stay away from AMD GPUs though, there are forums and steam discussions everywhere right now about driver issues after updates causing all kinds of chaos. Very unstable by the sounds of it

I don't share these issues with you on a 9600k. I wonder how the single core performance compares, especially with mine overclocked. I know it wasn't until the 5xxx series of CPUs where they took over in single core performance.

ATi just hasn't been competitive in a loooong time.

Edited by Artkin

Just now, Artkin said:

I don't share these issues with you on a 9600k. I wonder how the single core performance compares, especially with mine overclocked. I know it wasn't until the 5xxx series of CPUs where they took over in single core performance

I benched mine this evening and it is overperforming the average and is sitting just slightly higher than the average i9 9900k, apparently.
Assuming this is non overclocked i9s though could be a mixture of the two. no idea. this was just through cpu-z built in basic bench test. :)

20 hours ago, Bagpipe said:

I benched mine this evening and it is overperforming the average and is sitting just slightly higher than the average i9 9900k, apparently.
Assuming this is non overclocked i9s though could be a mixture of the two. no idea. this was just through cpu-z built in basic bench test. :)

Ah yes this was the bench I was thinking of when I read your message on the fly. It's so simple, and has references for you to draw on. I put up a 574 for single, and 3188 for multicore. But I am currently running two instances of CM, steam, and my web browser at the same time.

13 hours ago, Redwolf said:

The 12th generation Intel chips (Alder Lake) have the best single core performance right now. In desktops minds you, laptops are a different matter.

That makes them the most suited for CM right now.

Again, being realistic and given that my current 3700x wont even reach 15%% utilization when running CM, its not really a matter of needing better hardware at the moment. It's an issue of the game engine needing some serious improvement to utilize the hardware people already have. 🙂

On 8/29/2022 at 2:50 AM, Bagpipe said:

Again, being realistic and given that my current 3700x wont even reach 15%% utilization when running CM, its not really a matter of needing better hardware at the moment. It's an issue of the game engine needing some serious improvement to utilize the hardware people already have. 🙂

Your CPU reaches 100% - of one core.

Per-core speed is what matters for CM.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:09 PM, waffelmann said:

After a long time I will probably buy a new PC. I've always had computers with Intel processors. But this time I'm considering getting an AMD computer (AMD Ryzen 7 5800X).
Anyone had problems with AMD? Especially with Combat Mission?

Definitely NOT an Intel integrated card. Anything else should be fine. You have about a 50% chance of the an Intel card working.

Be aware that since nVidia has recently been prevented from selling chips to China,  (WSJ: "Nvidia Corp. could lose as much as $400 million in quarterly sales after the U.S. imposed new licensing requirements on shipments of some of its most advanced chips to China, the chip maker said Wednesday.")  it's possible that nVidia processors will come down in price in the US.

Same is also true for AMD and Intel btw.

Edited by Erwin

3 hours ago, waffelmann said:

Meehhh....I took an Intel...🥴

No worries, I probably would too.  Have chosen Intel procesors for a while and Nvidia graphics.  No real issues and good performance, including the Asus ROG laptop sat in front of me now.  It has been great over the last couple of years.

4 hours ago, waffelmann said:

And now I dread re-installing all Combat Mission games (with all AddOns)...you have to find everything right on the website first....🤔....the latest Installer and the Licence-Numbers of everything....

The full installer (no patches or add-ons needed) is in your user account.