Visualized in Combat Mission: Berm Drills (Feat Cold War)

I've been a busy bee recently. Someone has to fill the void! That, or I'm just talking to my own echo. Oh well. 

Anyways, this post is about hull down (a strangely controversial topic around these parts) and Berm Drills, an explanation as to what they are, their efficacy, and how to do them in CM. I used Cold War to make the examples in this post, so I figured I would post it here. That said, the lessons apply to every CM game.

The full post can be found here: https://millerswargamingvault.blogspot.com/2022/06/visualized-in-combat-mission-berm-drills.html

Here is a little vid I made to help entice: 

I hate it how much work it requires to make it happen in CM and still the results are somewhat uncertain.

Also unfortunately the observation position is practically impossible to do. (meaning only the optics or commanders head with binoculars is up, this is used to pre-aim the gun and only commence the rest of the drill when everything is ready) I supplement this in CM by placing infantry scout the on the ridge within hearing distance of the tank(s).

Also in US footage of berm drill I rarely see swapping of the positions, in Finnish army you are only allowed to shoot once from one berm before you have to switch to another one. At least 2-3 berms per tank. Same as infantry, never peek twice in a row from the same spot.

Very well. I like to do this as well :)
It's somehow complicated when it comes to ATGMs on vehicles, like the M150 or the M901.
Because they'll not fire if waypoints are existing.
A solution for it is, to time the berm drill in a way, that the vehicle reaches the fireing position and perform the shooting before the end of the turn. Then let the turn end, and retreat the vehicle at the beginning of the turn to let it reload. The disadvantage is, that you can only shoot one rocket per minute this way.

3 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Very well. I like to do this as well :)
It's somehow complicated when it comes to ATGMs on vehicles, like the M150 or the M901.
Because they'll not fire if waypoints are existing.
A solution for it is, to time the berm drill in a way, that the vehicle reaches the fireing position and perform the shooting before the end of the turn. Then let the turn end, and retreat the vehicle at the beginning of the turn to let it reload. The disadvantage is, that you can only shoot one rocket per minute this way.

Yup that is a good point. A shoot and scoot command would be great to remedy this, especially if it could be tied to the hull down command.