Operation Konrad: The Three Relief Attempts of Budapest by the IV SS Panzer Corps with D. Nash

I'm sure that guy knows what he's talking about, but I always think it's a bit odd when somebody dedicates years of his life to study WW2, but somehow never learns to pronounce even basic German words. It's not "Totenkop" division - there's an f at the end.

Also: "wolksgrenadeer division". It's one of the first things you learn in basic German lessons that an initial v is pronounced as an f.

"wolkenschau"... haha... cloud watching :)

Edited by Bulletpoint

15 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I'm sure that guy knows what he's talking about, but I always think it's a bit odd when somebody dedicates years of his life to study WW2, but somehow never learns to pronounce even basic German words. It's not "Totenkop" division - there's an f at the end.

Also: "wolksgrenadeer division". It's one of the first things you learn in basic German lessons that an initial v is pronounced as an f.

"wolkenschau"... haha... cloud watching :)

But Douglas Nash know what he's talking about. One of the best, if not the best, Eastern front experts in the world.

33 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

This was great! Thanks for posting @Lille Fiskerby

Don't mind the peanut gallery. This is a value add. 

@George MC might be interested in this as well. It’s Doug!

Its on my 'to wathc' list. i saw his first one - well worth watching. Woody (the presenter) is an alright guy and tends to let the expert do their thing.

26 minutes ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

One of the things that impress me most about his work is his very impressive photo archive. I have seen tons of photos of combat on the german eastern front but Nash seems to find new material all the time.

That. And he is also one of the very few historians that do their own thorough research, instead of repeating the 'research' of others. His book on the battles East of Warsaw is absolutely unique, the first one on this subject that really goes into detail. 

There has finally been a decent amount of study of the military operations in 1945 happening. These books were indispensable (along with Stephen A. Hamilton, Norbert Számvéber and a few others) for F&R scenarios and campaigns. The amount of bookmarks in my copies make them look like an over-feathered bird.

55 minutes ago, benpark said:

There has finally been a decent amount of study of the military operations in 1945 happening. These books were indispensable (along with Stephen A. Hamilton, Norbert Számvéber and a few others) for F&R scenarios and campaigns. The amount of bookmarks in my copies make them look like an over-feathered bird.

Perhaps the books by Axel Urbanke will also inspire you. Very well researched and written. And full of detailed maps and battles.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 4/13/2022 at 10:49 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

Let's just say, never trust anyone who wears a hat indoors, or anyone who has a goatee beard.

Agree on the hat (except @benpark's of course), but facial hair is okay n'est ce pas?

EDIT: Playing RT Baranovichi by PBEM just now, thanks to @benpark I think.

Edited by Vacillator

9 hours ago, benpark said:

I have those as well. Not many gaps in the 1945 section of my library.

There will always be gaps. Personally I'm still looking for JV44, the Galland Circus, by Forsythe for a decent price and some other books. Not going to pay 200-300 Euros for a book.

I assume you also have Letzte Schlacht an der Ostfront by Hans Juergen Pantenius?

Edited by Aragorn2002

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the first part of this youtube series, on the battle of Warsaw in August 1944 by the IV. SS-Panzerkorps and it's very informative and well made. Lots of maps and pictures from the book are shown and explained and there's even some Wochenschau footage.  Highly recommended. Thanks again, Lille!

For every serious Ostfronter these books are a must have.

Edited by Aragorn2002

His photo collection is quite impressive, now I have to start reading a book I bought a few years ago written by Nash/Spezzano again 😀: "Unternehmen Ilse" a one day operation that was carried out on the 27 april 1944. The operation was to clear the rest of Kovel for red army units. Highly recommended reading but pretty expensive book.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:23 PM, Lille Fiskerby said:

His photo collection is quite impressive, now I have to start reading a book I bought a few years ago written by Nash/Spezzano again 😀: "Unternehmen Ilse" a one day operation that was carried out on the 27 april 1944. The operation was to clear the rest of Kovel for red army units. Highly recommended reading but pretty expensive book.

Yeah, that's definitely a must have. Worth every penny.