Support Ukraine

Loki

The game "This War of Mine" has pledged to send all profits for the next week to support the people who need food and aid in Ukraine. So far they have raised 160,000 dollars. Given the nature of Black Sea I think Battlefront should do the same. As a developer who makes money off of war I think this would be the right thing to do.

So.... How about doing this?

P.S. I play and have played wargames for 25 years. Its time I step up and do the same. I have already made donations. I get my enjoyment from the misery of war and I am questioning if I should do that. I should say I have played every version of Combat Mission since the first back in 2000 or so.

Well "This War of Mine" must be 5 years old. It only began selling again because of the message proceeds would go to Ukraine. That lead to sales. Perhaps that could happen in this scenario? It couldn't hurt.

EDIT: It came out on Nov 14th 2014.

Edited by Loki

We now have Steam, EA, Sony, and Microsoft pulling their games. Visa, Master Card and Paypal have pulled payments from Russia.

This War of Mine raised $850,000 in 1 week for an 8 year old game.

I find it funny that the Big Time Software (Now Battle Front) is staying quiet. Usually the discussions in this forum are pretty intellectual and yet more kids on Steam are saying to support doing something than people on this forum. Also large companies are pulling out of billions compared to the small amount you could do. Do something.

P.S I have every Combat Mission game since 2000 except Afganistan so I am a long time customer. I am not some kid feeling entitled. Its the right thing to do when you make money off of a fictional war in Ukraine.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

We now have Steam, EA, Sony, and Microsoft pulling their games. Visa, Master Card and Paypal have pulled payments from Russia.

This War of Mine raised $850,000 in 1 week for an 8 year old game.

I find it funny that the Big Time Software (Now Battle Front) is staying quiet. Usually the discussions in this forum are pretty intellectual and yet more kids on Steam are saying to support doing something than people on this forum. Also large companies are pulling out of billions compared to the small amount you could do. Do something.

P.S I have every Combat Mission game since 2000 except Afganistan so I am a long time customer. I am not some kid feeling entitled. Its the right thing to do when you make money off of a fictional war in Ukraine.

Who in the world are you to tell Battlefront what to do with their money?

I am a consumer. Its pretty simple. You have all these nations and business's supporting Ukraine and I used to hate some of the companies I mentioned. Electronic Arts is a company I can't stand and yet they are taking a stand. As a consumer I am now expecting business's that I deal with to step up and do the right things.

You do realize that BF is not comparable to MS, EA, SONY etc.  It's a just a couple of guys and a bunch of volunteers.  Ours is a tiny niche within a niche market.  But, there is nothing stopping anyone from sending money, or indeed going to Ukraine to fight. You could end up with a free AK...!  :)

4 hours ago, Loki said:

I am a consumer. Its pretty simple. You have all these nations and business's supporting Ukraine and I used to hate some of the companies I mentioned. Electronic Arts is a company I can't stand and yet they are taking a stand. As a consumer I am now expecting business's that I deal with to step up and do the right things.

Great! Then when you are in charge of Battlefront, you can decide what to do with their finances. Until then...give it a rest.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, Loki said:

The game "This War of Mine" has pledged to send all profits for the next week to support the people who need food and aid in Ukraine. So far they have raised 160,000 dollars. Given the nature of Black Sea I think Battlefront should do the same. As a developer who makes money off of war I think this would be the right thing to do.

So.... How about doing this?

Battlefront is not a big company with a lot of resources and employees.  One of the best ways they can support the citizens of Ukraine is by helping to facilitate the truth about the current situation.  They allow a very informative topic on their forums (see below link) which provide fantastic information often with links to sources, photos and videos.  It has reports from Ukrainians, who are forum members, that are actually in Ukraine.  This information is usually several hours ahead of the main stream media and IMO often more accurate.  It would be nice if everybody did their part according to their abilities.  Battlefront, through the Battlefront forum, is proving awareness of the situation in line with their abilities.  Help do your part and spread the below link so people will know the truth.  Slava Ukraini!!!!  :)     

6 hours ago, Loki said:

I think Battlefront has clearly taken a stand and for years on this forum has been much better than western media regarding highlighting Russian actions and intentions.  As to a financial position.  I don't think they really are in a position to donate sales however that doesn't preclude you from doing so.  You are free to send $50 to the Ukraine red cross. My wife and I are planning on making a substantial donation that would make my purchase of CMBS look small.

Товариство Червоного Хреста України – Ukrainian Red Cross Society

Edited by sburke

As someone who deals with the Red Cross on a professional basis, there is no doubt that they do a lot of good, but a tremendous amount of the money the collect goes to administrative costs and salaries.

Might I suggest Samaritan's Purse, which puts the money to the best possible use. They're located here.

3 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

a tremendous amount of the money the collect goes to administrative costs and salaries.

My wife worked for several charities and she and her other senior executives were earning healthy 6 figure salaries - as much as 750K pa in some places.  She made me very skeptical about large well-funded charities - they were very good at creating stats that looked like so much donated money was going to the "cause".  The reality was that much was spent on admin and those large 6-figure salaried execs.  

Other than handing out money directly to those in need, am not sure how one gets around this reality.

Edited by Erwin

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

My wife worked for several charities and she and her other senior executives were earning healthy 6 figure salaries - as much as 750K pa in some places.  She made me very skeptical about large well-funded charities - they were very good at creating stats that looked like so much donated money was going to the "cause".  The reality was that much was spent on admin and those large 6-figure salaried execs.  

Other than handing out money directly to those in need, am not sure how one gets around this reality.

don't get me started on the salvation army.  I did an install for their SF office and it was a very depressing scene.  They managed to piss me off badly.  I told them for the spell by name function they had to have unique names.  There were two majors that were married (thereby having the same Major Smith title).  They demanded I make it work.  Then the SF Archbishop comes over.  He drives to the front door and a man has to go park his car cause god forbid a woman drive it.

I used a hidden pilot number to route their calls and assigned 666 to it.

I think they have the same "overhead" cost issue.