How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

13 minutes ago, Huba said:

Yup, situation seems to be progressing pretty fast:

Putin's address was again postponed BTW, but is expected in next hour or so.

Note that Voronezh is an important road and rail hub between Moscow and Rostov.  For Russia to relocate forces from the Moscow area to Rostov probably means going through Voronezh.  I think it can also block some rail transport going into Belgorod.

Steve

23 minutes ago, Grigb said:

My argument is that nothing so far indicates any kind of violent strugle, which would be expected if the RU MOD feels really threatened. When RU MOD defends its turf, many people die.

On the other side, what we see is pathetic and pitiful. It's actually rather hillarious (like the chat with Evkurov and Alekseyv). Tough guy (zek) would not argue over Evkurov's allegedly irreconcilable tone (that is not true, Evkurov, like other Highlanders, speaks very quietly and nicely in RU when in an unknown setting).

Everything appears to be identical to the VGCHP coup (which was not a true coup) - practically identical rhetoric to save the Motherland, same minimal violence approach, same pathetic and pitiful performance of those involved.

I agree with you here. This is Russia. Without spilling a lot of blood nothing ever moves there.

And note that even GKCHP coup was way more violent than this, with tanks firing on parliament.

Here it looks like a show of force, flexing - "see, I have muscle - so give me stuff".

After all if Prigozhin is willing to negotiate - that's not really a coup isn't it.

Edited by kraze

3 minutes ago, kraze said:

Here it looks like a show of force, flexing - "see, I have muscle - so give me stuff".

For sure that is how it is now.  But what happens if the request to "give me stuff" is turned down?  Can you see Prig and his boys saying "well, we gave it a try.  We'll go home now".  I certainly don't see that happening.

And even if Putin gives in and beheads the MoD, then what?  All is forgiven with Prig and his boys?  I don't see that happening either.

Make no mistakes about it, this is a coup even if the coup plotters don't think of it as such.

Steve

Rought translation of RU news. Not important so just some automated translation

• The governor of the Moscow region, Andrey Vorobyov, announced the strengthening of security measures in the region. According to him, the situation is under the control of the special services. The WHO mode has been introduced in the Moscow region.
  • All mass events have been canceled in the Voronezh Region, Governor Alexander Gusev said. The WHO regime has been introduced in the Voronezh Region, the NAC reported.
  • Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said that anti-terrorist measures aimed at strengthening security measures are being carried out in the capital. The Mayor of the capital stressed that additional control has been introduced on the roads. It is possible to limit the holding of mass events. The WHO regime has been introduced in the capital.
  • A column of military equipment is moving along the M-4 "Don" highway, residents were asked not to use the road, the Voronezh Region government said in a statement. The authorities asked residents of the region to temporarily not use the M-4 "Don" highway and personal cars.
  • The governor of the Lipetsk region Igor Artamonov announced in his Telegram channel about the strengthening of security measures in the region. He stressed that residents are advised to abandon trips in the southern direction, in particular to the Voronezh region.
  • The governor of the Rostov region Vasily Golubev urged to refrain from traveling to the center of Rostov-on-Don. The population is advised not to leave their homes if possible. Mass events have been canceled in the regional capital.

From Rostov rumor

"I was at the checkpoint in the Rostov region." Several columns of PMCs of trucks passed through during the night, [aprox] 150 [men] in each. Military vehicles has black Lugansk plates. Civilian cars can have license plates from any region. [Region codes] 05, 61, and 77 were seen"