Official "Out of the Dust II" Thread

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some points of (my) view regarding the B scenario:

- less turns; will force the attacker to attack with less preparation

- less smoke for the Priests and Sherman; in our game the attacker walked/run his engineers through the smoke to some of my bunkers and took them out from the front without being fired upon

- more wire and minefields and a lot of TRP's for the defender

- more ammo for the FO's, maybe a rocket FO (or 2 with one volley each) for pummeling the town (with a TRP !)

- the airplane seems a bit overdone; but it could always attack its own side tongue.gif !

- the defender has almost no overlapping field of fire; the bunkers can't support each other mutually.

- the set-up of this game took me a very long time, but when the game had started there wasn't very much to do for the defender; almost all its forces were stationry. Not the most exciting play

- maybe you can make this one a good scenario for attacking against the AI ?

Maybe give the defender a few more minefields, a 234/1 and a 234/2, and a couple of those Puppchen thingies. Replace the Allied 105 arty with a second 81mm module with plenty of ammo. The German side desperately needs something less visible/more mobile to counter the US tanks, and the 105mm arty seemed to be just too effective.

Re Bert's "- the airplane seems a bit overdone;"

- Airplane? What airplane??

the defender has almost no overlapping field of fire; the bunkers can't support each other mutually.
for sure I will add another gun bunker and a few hidden guns to beef up the defence.

more wire and minefields and a lot of TRP's for the defender
agree, need some more

The German side desperately needs something less visible/more mobile to counter the US tanks
The would change it for sure but to get the feel of the true battles that were fought, I did not read about any armor located up front, the germans would counter assault and take back bunkers with armor formations when a known breach

accured.

Also the allieds did have just that, plenty of support fire and lots of smoke, so again I wanted to give the feeling of how lopsided the support is, but I also wanted a close battle that can go either way, Berts suggestion of cutting turns is a easy way to equal the battle some, but it is so hard sometimes to get the correct number of turns. but it is one way of adjusting it.

The plane does have the cm logic of hitting friendlies and it did happened multi times in testing. My testing did deceive me some in this battle and thus the reason that the balence is off some. I like the scenario but I just need a few tweeks before releasing it.

Thanks for the imput, it helps to see other views

[ November 27, 2006, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: slysniper ]

@Sly,

Something else: in the later days of the war weren't Volksgrenadier and/or Volkssturm not much more common then regular infantry ? They would give the defender a lot more close-in firepower and the Volksturmsplatoons do have 4 panzerschrecks. Of course, when creating a scenario, you can put in as much schrecks in as you want ! :D I agree with Walker that the defender should have some "loose" AT capability. they can be 50mm PAK,schrecks and the like. In the current scenario the defender can only run when the tanks succeed in breaching the (bunker) line.

@Walker

What airplane ? The plane that killed one of my scarce and precious squads with one bomb, panicked an other and made a nuissance of itself in general !

Come to think of it: Sly, couldn't you put in some AA ? Like two 37 mm ? They sound great ! Can be used against light armour (bye, bye Priests and Greyhounds !) and infantry too !

With all these adjustments maybe the defenders can't loose anymore !

Originally posted by Bert Hamoen:

@Walker

What airplane ? The plane that killed one of my scarce and precious squads with one bomb, panicked an other and made a nuissance of itself in general !

- You're saying the Allies got an FB? Never saw one, are you sure you weren't mistaking a stray 105mm shell for a bomb? A bit like 'every MkIV is a Tiger ;) ?

Originally posted by slysniper:

Also, I am looking for sugestions on how to modify scenario B, the germans need a better chance to putting up a good fight, it played too one sided, it needs modified before I put it at the scenario depot. Just Email or comment here if you have thoughts about how I should do it.

You should give the Allied attacker more Priests. They're their own worst enemies, it would seem... :rolleyes:

Round Two matches

Scenario D - Bluecoat Surprise

Allies vs Germans

JonnyEnglish ___ vs ___ Mikado

Bert___ vs___ Fiaros

Crow Warrior___ vs___Gort

Walker___ vs___Dinga 44

Major Tum___ vs ___Shell Shocked

Scenario E - One Last Hurrah

Allies vs Germans

Dinga 44___ vs ___ Crow Warrior

Shell Shocked ___ vs___ Bert

Walker___ vs___ JonnyEnglish

Fiaros___vs___ Mikado

Gort___ vs___ Major Tum

Scenario F - Eyes and Ears of Death

Germans vs Allies

Dinga 44___ vs___ Bert

Fiaros___ vs___ Shell Shocked

Crow Warrior___ vs ___Major Tum

Walker___ vs___ Mikado

Gort___ vs ___ JonnyEnglish

Your Lots have been cast and war is never fair.

Actually I have made sure that the top 4 players will have played each other once in the 6 games; Yes Walker, that means you have to play your pal Dinga (Sorry)

[ November 29, 2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: slysniper ]

Originally posted by slysniper:

Round Two matches

Walker___ vs___Dinga 44

Yes Walker, that means you have to play your pal Dinga (Sorry)

Good grief! From friend to enemy by the click of Sly's mouse button...!

Cool-sounding scenario names btw - but what are bluecoats? Depressed redcoats? The French?? I have to fight Dinga with the French :eek: !?!

[ November 29, 2006, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Walker ]

Cool-sounding scenario names btw - but what are bluecoats? Depressed redcoats? The French?? I have to fight Dinga with the French !?!
Bluecoats was the name of the Operation in Normandy at the end of Augest 44, This will be the Scenario that I did the most realistic design on for this match, tried to match actual terrian and so on. Norrey was my most Historically correct in the first Tourney. This will be my most correct in this one.

You will be the British, just so you know, Walker.

Keep this up and you might start loosing your hair, not just watching it turn gray