Ukrainian Armed Drone (from Turkey) Destroys Separatist Howitzer in Donbass in UA's First Such Strike

9 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Don't know the story behind this, but  people are doubtless buried in paperwork because of what happened. Image was posted by Alexiy Tyuzhin of FB.
Regards,

John Kettler

This is 2011 year, T-90A of 19th motor-rifle brigade, dislocated in Caucasian North Osetia autonomy repuplic. Mistake of driver. Crew got traumas, but survived.

Edited by Haiduk

Haiduk,

That was quite the video, and the song was cool, too. Really shows what can be done with great intelligence and small, accurately placed strikes. Was especially interested in what looked like recon by fire and cover removal actions prior to main strikes. Would say the crew. of that T-90A was fortunate.

Sgt.Squarehead,

Did I double post, maybe into two different threads? If so, apologies!

Regards,

John. Kettler

Ukraine in 2019-2020 bought some Lithuanian anti-drone rifles EDM4S by NT-Service manufacturer. Only now MoD issued a photo of their usage - jammed DJI Phantom IV (?), turned into improvised bomber

258841381_1572304673117468_2163402569697

258774102_1572304686450800_4702057967422

На зображенні може бути: на відкритому повітрі

How this rifle looks. Number in service still unknown, but too few anyway. Now such every platoon needs in such toy. 

Antydronova-rushnytsya-vyrobnytstva-lyto

Edited by Haiduk

On 11/24/2021 at 9:24 PM, Haiduk said:

Ukraine in 2019-2020 bought some Lithuanian anti-drone rifles EDM4S by NT-Service manufacturer. Only now MoD issued a photo of their usage - jammed DJI Phantom IV (?), turned into improvised bomber

Given the current pace of change in 'techno-warfare', it probably won't be terribly long until kamikaze drones are configured to home onto the emissions of weapons like this.

On 11/26/2021 at 6:21 PM, civdiv said:

Sort of related, and very interesting;

AN-2s used as ‘bait’ drones

Posted this in the Taiwan thread as it's more relevant there, but related, so I'll repost:

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/mig19s-destroy-twair-defences

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 11/27/2021 at 10:41 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Posted this in the Taiwan thread as it's more relevant there, but related, so I'll repost:

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/mig19s-destroy-twair-defences

Devastating if it worked, But to pound on my new favorite theory, nobody knows how hacked they are. It would be a wee bit embarrassing if the first five hundred turned around and crashed into the airfields they had just been launched from. It does point out the MASSIVE extent to which large scale drone use requires orders of magnitude more anti air assets.

• 2 weeks later...

The Turkish designed TB2 has scored again--in the face. of Russian state-of-the-art drone countermeasure systems designed to hijack, misdirect, or even destroy  drones. Were I the Russians, I'd be pretty concerned, for the implications on force survival are grim, especially since lightly protected high value systems can easily be attacked, damaged or destroyed by tiny munitions accurately delivered. Such targets would include highly advanced jamming systems (few in number, hellishly expensive), CPs of many sorts, SAM/ATBM radars or launchers, TBM launch vehicles (think Iskander-series) ammo dumps, etc. Never would I have expected that Turkey would not just be world class but a veritable world leader in an advanced weapon category. During the Cold War, the main attribute of the Turkish Army was that it was enormous, not well equipped.

https://www.yenisafak.com/en/news/armenian-attempt-to-hijack-turkish-tb2-drone-ends-with-russian-system-destroyed-report-3585668?fbclid=IwAR1OBJKcWAHTVXhhAszIF7Ft_0GebfHsTxWUDcRQ1tvvD5oKhsOW02t4Xug

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 12/9/2021 at 11:44 PM, John Kettler said:

The Turkish designed TB2 has scored again

No it hasn't, this is old news, from the debacle in Nagorno-Karabakh.  :rolleyes:

On 12/9/2021 at 11:44 PM, John Kettler said:

Never would I have expected that Turkey would not just be world class but a veritable world leader in an advanced weapon category.

I'm not 100% convinced that it is.....The Bayraktars are very capable, in small scale combat against opponents with limited military capabilities. 

How they would do against a fully integrated defence system remains to be seen.....Keep in mind that states which maintain a fully integrated air defence network are usually more than capable of striking back at drone bases and control facilities with weapons many orders of magnitude more powerful than a MAM-L.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Azerbaijan-Israel relations go back a long way and Baku is an important asset against Teheran.

Isn't it a bit of an open secret that the largest force multiplier in Nagarno-Karabach was the electronic warfare and SIGINT capabilities that Israel provided for the Azeris.

Here's a Bellingcat bit from 2015:

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2015/05/04/azerbaijan-and-israels-aerospace-industry-a-worrying-concern-for-armenia-or-iran/

On 12/19/2021 at 7:10 AM, John Kettler said:

Did someone lose a drone? This one wound up in Russia but was built in Turkey.

I've seen information that this is Turkish drone, which was shot down in Syria and this footage is from Russian military base in Syria. It was shot down with Pantsyr S1. Since Ukraine used Bayraktar, Russia have started huge media campaign that Bayraktars are useless weapon, which will be easy downed by Russian air defence and all hopes of Ukraine for UAVs are vain.

Despite this campaign, Russia about week ago tried to provoke Ukraine to use Bayraktar again that it get ambushed from Russian territory in order to use this downing in propaganda. Separs shelled with artilelry Stanysia Luhanska town vicinity and on next day an "appeal of settlers to Ukrainan Armed Forces" appeared, in which locals ask army to use Bayraktar to maintain their security. But SIGINT/ELINT showed activity of Russian EW and SAM assets  - Stanytsia Luhanska lays in 20 km from the Russian border - Bayraktar could be downed/jammed and fall on separ-controlled territory. The command didn't take the bite.  

Edited by Haiduk

• 2 weeks later...