BUG: panther killing sherman through building

39 minutes ago, stikkypixie said:

I am very curious as to how this happened.

If the Panther run out of HE he will shoot AP for area fire it will go through the building and a tank. I did it and the vehicle behind in this case a bocage brewed up. It was a Greyhound and it showed up as a contact icon for the Panther. 

50 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

If the Panther run out of HE he will shoot AP for area fire it will go through the building and a tank.

There are two possibilities.  1) as chuckdyke says.  2) The Tactical AI spotted a 1 pixel-wide game in the building that is impossible for us humans to see and it shot thru that gap (in the same way that a tank may shoot through dozens of meters of dense woods).

I think the latter is more probably because:  In CM2, trees are almost indestructible.  Placing one's AFV directly behind a tree can make it invulnerable to incoming fire (from that direction).  In CM2 one can see AFV's shoot many rounds at an enemy AFV and see every shot hit the tee and explode with no ill-effect on the target tank.  In RL. an AP round would go through the tree and and tank.  An HE round would destroy the tree quickly.  But, in CM2, a tree is better armor than steel and the lesson we learn is that tanks should be built of wood.  

Oddly, buildings are more destructible than trees in CM2.  So, it is very likely that any previous fire would have created invisible holes that a shell could pass through.

I believe this is happening because the roof of the building hasn't been programmed to block LOS/LOF - or that it sometimes glitches.

I noticed the same in a recent game, where I fired a Panzerschreck against infantry in a building. It went high, and sailed directly through the roof to explode behind the building. I replayed the turn several times to be sure this was actually what was happening.

(I understand that a real AP shell would easily go through a roof of course, but a Panzerschreck rocket wouldn't)

Another explanation is that your opponent realised you had a tank there, and deliberately targeted the building, hoping the shell would go through. This works if the firing tank has already spent all its HE ammo.

Edited by Bulletpoint

23 hours ago, stikkypixie said:

Hi,

I just encountered this during a PBEM game, I tried to hide my tank behind a barn but the enemy panther managed to not only spot it, but also put a hole in it as well. I have the PBEM turn if needed. Here are some screenshots:

https://ibb.co/5T97Gnb

https://ibb.co/nc8ygy6

I am very curious as to how this happened.

Could we have the turn file, if only out of pure curiosity?

On 8/13/2021 at 7:15 AM, stikkypixie said:

I just encountered this during a PBEM game, I tried to hide my tank behind a barn but the enemy panther managed to not only spot it, but also put a hole in it as well.  I am very curious as to how this happened.

As others have said above it was most likely an AP round which is able to go through buildings.  An AI opponent generally can't do this (no area fire unless scripted in the AI orders) but a human opponent can.  I've done this intentionally in PBEM games using an M10.  When the HE was gone from the M10 I area fired into a building with an OpFor vehicle hiding behind it.  Worked very well.

An interesting question might be, did your human opponent intentionally fire AP to hit your tank through the building.  Or was he just trying to drop the building to get at your tank and as luck would have it, ran out of HE and and the tac AI used an AP round.  You might just ask him when OpSec allows it.   

See if your opponent claims it was an intentionally skillful move or luck. :D  :lol: