Lucky Strike's Mods: Hedgerow Hell - something for aspiring arborists ...

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

This sounds (pardon the pun) like Erwin's natural sounds mod, appropriate for when I'm wandering around the bocage countryside like some tourist, you gotta release it ...

They are all individual wav mods.  One simply chooses the one that is appropriate (or that one wants).

On 8/4/2021 at 10:17 PM, Lucky_Strike said:

So just a quickie, as a proof of concept, big bocage ...

K5uvYPa.jpg

An ash sapling incorporated directly into the bocage, the normal bocage which it's combined with should still show variations but the ash will always be an ash, it could employ the bocage textures but then it would have some weird stuff like brambles and strangely oriented mixed foliage. Here it is in my test scenario mixed with a standalone tree and more variety of ground ...

ovKR5si.jpg

I think that if I mix in all sorts of different heights we can have something truly rambling and less council-trimmed-hedgerow. The only downside is that the leaf texture has to use the 1-bit mask so it's a little clunky compared to proper trees, but some refinement might improve this. Also got me thinking thickets again ...

Thoughts ...

I think it looks superb. I love all this variety, so keep up the good work!

Edited by Aragorn2002

54 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Me thinks you could make a big bundle to post on CMMODs 😉

Already send a HD with about 500GB of mods and scenarios to Bootie.  So, he has probably everything ever made.  But, it's a HUGE amount of work for him to dig thru.  Plus many old mods may not even work with the latest updated games.  So, just checking those is a herculean amount of work.  :(  

(The size of the sounds wavs range from around 3MB to over 11MB.)

Edited by Erwin

3 hours ago, Falaise said:

I have been very calm for a month and a half, but I am starting to smell musty, never seen so much rain in the summer

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Wasn't it Denison Dave and the Bald Boys who had a smash hit back in '44 with a track called "Don't you guys ever have a God damn summer?"

Only thing that really appreciates all the rain is my garden, starting to look like the bocage out there, going to need a demo charge soon just to get to the shed!

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Already send a HD with about 500GB of mods and scenarios to Bootie.  So, he has probably everything ever made.  But, it's a HUGE amount of work for him to dig thru.  Plus many old mods may not even work with the latest updated games.  So, just checking those is a herculean amount of work.  :(  

(The size of the sounds wavs range from around 3MB to over 11MB.)

Erwin's greatest hits then?

So after a bit of a bocage distraction, I've been messing around with the oak once more, trying to perfect how the textures are applied in the 3D model's file. To say it's not been easy would be an understatement, but finally at about version 15.3i (I started at 01.0a so you do the maths) I finally had a breakthrough, or rather I had the breakthrough whilst cleaning my teeth last night, this morning, whatever ...

Now we can have nicely textured wonky trees, like what grow in nature, or at least a model of a tree that's wonky ... perhaps more ...

In0b4XQ.jpg

... Fritz and his comrades were grateful for the (Re)shade provided by the old oaks that grew in the corner of the field ... 

dFKna0C.jpg

... no Reshade ...

n6Ln57L.jpg

... and debated the question so many had pondered before ...

tiNtCLX.jpg

... why have just one texture on a tree trunk when you can have two? (maybe)

The point of making a wonky tree was to have an, urm, wonky tree, something a bit more naturalistic. The process of getting there has been painful, but we're all born of pain and why should the oak be any different? As a side effect I think it's time to introduce a tree model that has an extra texture, here an old wound, which won't randomly appear on other parts of the tree which reuse the basic bark texture, it's a texture of it's own only appearing on part of the trunk; think of some ivy perhaps climbing up one side of the tree, or a smattering of moss just around the base, or maybe a dead branch on a pine, devoid of bark completely ... all maybe possible now.

As it stands I have to look at refining the shape a little, the compromise of achieving tree-nirvana is much more work on the shape than I had hoped, the harder lines need to be softened so that our trees are as pretty as can be. 

Feeling ambitious, and buoyed up by some success working with the 3D models in Blender, I decided to experiment with a bit more scratch modelling. I remembered that someone had mentioned having pine trees that reached down to the ground, that looked a bit more wild and less like plantation trees. So here I give you an old spruce. You're either going to love it or hate it depending on how you play and what you like to do in forests. I've staged these in CMRT because that has eight tree varieties so it's easier to mix in two types of spruce, my new old one interspersed with the type with a very bare trunk. Mixed in this way creates a much more dynamic forest. I can even see an excuse for replacing all the tree models with spruces and pines in various stages of growth, even some tiddlers - image ... 🎄🌲🎄 ...

WGf28Wr.jpg

cJVfcUY.jpg

new spruce on the left, spruce with bare trunk on the right ...

ZNXzHdS.jpg

EKBOeOp.jpg

xoPNa3j.jpg

the view out from underneath - probably needs a little bit more foliage ...

ErSivew.jpg

ideal for mountainous scenarios ...

sBDODBT.jpg

So there you have it. The model I've made is a combination of reworked found and original BF. Interestingly the found was much higher detailed than the normal models we have, meaning a lot of extra info is stored in the file to create a more naturalistic tree. I thought these would fail miserably in game, leading to poor performance and lots of stuttering if they worked at all. To my delight they are fine on my system which is fairly conservative in terms of GPU. This bodes well for future model making and I hope it's a sign that I can push the envelope a bit further than before ... guess what's coming next ...

8 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

Hawthorn, must be one of the most common small trees in Normandy. 

Thanks Alex. I made a hawthorn bush, it's in my Hedgerow Hell mod, also added quite a bit of hawthorn to the bocage. Problem with BN is the limited number of tree models we have to play with, the existing set is only five strong and so far as I know it's not possible to expand on this number. The other games feature up to 8 models; I was hoping BF would bring BN in line with the others since the engine is now the same throughout and can obviously handle more variety. I could change the existing small tree to hawthorn, but that is often used for orchards. May do it anyway ... or make a bigger bush ... either way will need a new base model to make it good and gnarly.

6 hours ago, Falaise said:

fascinating! now that technique is no longer an obstacle with your talent and your inventiveness and improved performance programmed by battlefront it is a limitless universe that opens before us

Hmm, the limit is whether I can make things work in Blender. There have been a LOT of trials and failures on the way, BUT we are learning more all the time so we shall see. And yes, improved performance will be a great boost for the game. En avant!