Best western movie ever?

Searchers was good.  I'd like to see that again.   Have to look at Open Range.  Was hoping it would be free on Netflix.  $3.99 on Amazon prime.

The Unforgiven and Outlaw Josey Wales.  (Clint seems to have done a lot.)

Edited by Erwin

In no particular order other than alphabetical:

3:10 to Yuma ('57 original, though remake was not too bad)

Bad Day at Black Rock (not strictly a Western though it pretty much is)

The Big Country (sublime Gregory Peck classic)

Blackthorn (Sam Shepard as retired Butch Cassidy)

Broken Trail (Robert Duvall miniseries, great western morality storytelling)

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (Western buddy movie)

The Man with No Name trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars; For a Few Dollar More; The Good, the Bad & the Ugly; any of them, preferably all of them, in order, amazing cinema)

A Fistful of Dynamite aka Duck, You Sucker (more Leone masterclass stuff)

Giant (sprawling)

The Gunfighter (Gregory Peck at it again)

Hang 'em High (heck, let's just say anything with Mr Eastwood, otherwise I'll be here all night)

High Noon (the title says it all)

High Plains Drifter (I know, it's Eastwood again, directing himself ... a mythological tale)

The Homesman (Tommy Lee Jones, directing himself and Hilary Swank in fantastic western storytelling)

How the West Was Won (...by the scenery...)

The Long Riders (what the Brat Pack aspired to but never reached)

The Missouri Breaks (giants Brando and Nicholson revisionist comic affair)

My Darling Clementine (Ford, Fonda ... Wyatt Earp ... need I say more)

Never Grow Old (modern take on the classic revenge tale, please let it stop raining ...)

Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone directing Fonda ... say what!)

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (no one does gun fights like Peckinpah)

The Revenant (sh!t happens and then you get attacked by a bear!)

The Searchers (Wayne and Ford at the top of their game)

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones directs and stars in, amazing directorial debut)

True Grit (original, fantastic, Wayne vehicle, or Coen Bros excellent, remake, one of their best films, take your pick)

The Wild Bunch (an elegy to the Western, stunning violence, one of the most influential westerns ever made)

I know I've forgotten something ...

Edited by Lucky_Strike

Westerns are my favorite genre. I remember watching series as a kid like Roy Rogers, Bonanza and Rawhide, loved it. Also western movies with James Stewart, John Wayne and others. I will check all the above mentioned movies to make sure I didn't miss one of them. 

15 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Westerns are my favorite genre. I remember watching series as a kid like Roy Rogers, Bonanza and Rawhide, loved it. Also western movies with James Stewart, John Wayne and others. I will check all the above mentioned movies to make sure I didn't miss one of them. 

I certainly enjoy one or two as you can probably tell 🤠 I do like how the genre keeps redefining itself with new twists. I know I missed some more recent favourites, but my brain is a bit addled most evenings ... 

12 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Good call!

Yeah, I am surprised that nobody mentioned Dances with Wolves. For me by far the best Western of the 90's. I watched it about 6 or 8 times in a cinema and approx umpteenth times on TV, VCR, DVD and BD. The only other Western movies, which I remember off hand from the 90's, are Silverado and and Maverick. But they are a different class all together. But not too bad, though.

Soldier Blue and Little Big Man stuck with me, because they add some pretty ugly illustration to Dee Brown's (otherwise quite dry) book "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee".

Plus, of course, Dustin Hoffman in Little Big Man is a class of it's own in any way.

Edited by StieliAlpha

Probably when one things of "westerns" on thinks of the classic gunfights and "shoot em ups", or US cavalry beating up on Indians directed by John Ford.  Speaking of which did anyone mention "The Big Valley" with Richard Widmark, Barbara Stanwyk, Gregory Peck and Charleton Heston?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Country

Lawrence of Arabia could be described as one of the best movies ever.  But, is it a war film or more a biopic about a troubled strange guy who became a national hero?

12 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

... The only other Western movies, which I remember off hand from the 90's...

Ahh the 90's, off hand I'm a bit stuck for suggestions as well ... Unforgiven, already mentioned, is the only one I have on my Plex server.

4 hours ago, Sgt Joch said:

The Assassination of Jesse James...
Some of my favourites 

Fantastic film, one of Mr Pitt's best efforts, must watch it again

• 3 weeks later...

Took a date to Soldier Blue when I was in high school. Waaaay too preachy, but great violence!😁

The Grey Fox was a good (but forgotten) movie, although as is usual, the history is all wrong.

Barbarossa is another forgotten classic. My ultimate fave, I think.

Appaloosa is another often overlooked one. The gunfights seemed more realistic than most.