Berlin CMRT Map

Here's one for you techies, I got the MDR file from that guy who made the ships etc, then added my graphics to the BMP file... Looks ok but some problems:

1. Very difficult to rotate, it seems to have a sweet spot but seems to change on each one?

2. Looks terrible without shaders on?

3. Disappears when moving the cursor around the map?

Can someone have a look at the MDR file...is that possible?

Cheers Thanks in advance

1XhswA.png

Without Shaders on.

1XheC1.png

Edited by NPye

11 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Okay, that's it - I'm voting for this as best thread.  Full stop.

Nigel, no surprises that I can't help but I was just thinking that I could live with the strange appearance.  I assume it's also not so bad from a distance?

Perhaps Phil (Praise be) will be along soon...

Ha good on ya bud... Lovin it myself. Cheers

1 hour ago, NPye said:

Here's one for you techies, I got the MDR file from that guy who made the ships etc, then added my graphics to the BMP file... Looks ok but some problems:

1. Very difficult to rotate, it seems to have a sweet spot but seems to change on each one?

2. Looks terrible without shaders on?

3. Disappears when moving the cursor around the map?

Can someone have a look at the MDR file...is that possible?

Cheers Thanks in advance

1XhswA.png

Without Shaders on.

1XheC1.png

Hey Nigel. So did Aquila (I presume you mean him) make the train (or obtain it from somewhere)? And have you made your own bmp for texturing it? 

1. You fixed the rotation - I presume you mean in-game rotation, the mdr rotates fine when imported to Blender. 

2. From the screen grab and mdr it looks like the surfaces are set to reflect too much for your material and were probably designed with another material in mind - possible metal or fabric? Do you have a link to an image of the original if posted somewhere here by Aquila?

3. Maybe just a bit too much for the game engine to cope with, stretching its capabilities perhaps - how does it behave in actual game play as opposed to the editor?

Can you let me have your bmp as well? 

12 minutes ago, NPye said:

There ya go gud .bmp

Sorry Nigel, that turned it into a png for some reason, can you zip up the bmp like you did for the mdr.

12 minutes ago, NPye said:

This is the original.

Yeah, pretty sure it's what I suspected; the material is set to reflect or something like that, the specular colour is set to 100% (1.000 intensity) white which I think makes it very shiny, most stuff in CM is a matt finish. I'll tweak it and send it back to you, see if it helps.

Edited by Lucky_Strike

4 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yeah, pretty sure it's what I suspected; the material is set to reflect or something like that, the specular colour is set to 100% (1.000 intensity) white which I think makes it very shiny, most stuff in CM is a matt finish. I'll tweak it and send it back to you, see if it helps.

Cheers bud bmp to big to upload direct....?

train_box_spec.bmp

3 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Can you dropbox it? The png will import into Blender but it's very small and has a generic name. I can convert it to a bmp and rename to the correct name which should be alright - what's the bmp called?

Cheers dude soz my DB is full...

5 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yes I reckon we can do something with this. It is sad that BF don't include the tall bocage. I know the idea behind it is to imitate a specific feature of the Norman landscape, but they are also useful for creating other types of landscape. I guess the ditch-locking feature was good enough for things like roadside ditches but as you rightly point out it's the low berm that is very useful - perhaps that's what they could incorporate into the game instead, a bocage feature without the foliage on top.

Likely just an internal switch in exe code. Should be re-activated in next patch, in case there´s yet any coming IMO. (likely no I guess) 😐 Files is all there so at least one can bits of play around with them in Blender etc.

I could probably conjure up something like your images of toppled trees:

XLyx9Fk.png

... with or without foliage. They would probably have to be a bit smaller than these trees, but would still block roads and for be an interesting challenge midst battle.

The version that's been felled with explosives on the trunk would be a lot more work to create so I would likely go with the ones with full rootball or sawn trunks.

Thanks! 😎 I´d need something with pine (needles) but everything that could be experimented with is fine for the start! I off course volunteer for testing it comprehensively. 🙂

4 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Here's the latest and probably first release version of the hedgehog cum dragon's teeth mod.

IhfYQRT.jpg

This is a slightly warmer colour concrete and represent teeth fairly recently cast. Maybe just a litle tweak but otherwise they are part of v.1.

Great! Looking forward dumping them right into YEG and maybe do a US vs. german AIP version of it finally. How do the teeth look in overcast, rainy, snow (yet to be created) and night setting btw?

some winter inspiration for ya ❄️

IMG_20191030_0023.JPG

I did some quick, probably very unscientific, tests to see if the different textures would remain with the teeth in the same locations from their initial deployment through to actual game play, even to a saved game. It seems that they do but with a caveat. Everything went swimmingly at first then a strange curve-ball got into the mix. I had positioned the set above in the editor, saved the scenario, opened it to edit again, opened it as both Axis and Allies to play a couple of turns, finally opened a game save. Through nearly all of this the texture remained the same, then on the moment at which an American M4 approached them and they popped into view as he spotted them, they suddenly inherited a mix of textures. Now this was very unexpected because I had not seen a mix within a single set/base of teeth but only across sets, so set 1 might look like above, set 2 might be dark, set 3 another texture. Instead I saw dark teeth mixed in with the teeth above. So that was the end of that. No further saves would shake them out. Just another odd inconsistent behaviour.

Onwards ...

Interesting. Typical CM of the unexpected sort. Re curve ball effect reminds me of how i.e foxholes and craters are treated when beeing placed on the map. Each click (craters) seemingly rotates them ~40° clockwise and foxholes appear working in similar way. So it´s all not that random at last. Really wish BFC allows us to "fix" certain these terrain objects in place or at least allow manual rotation (like flavors) and then fix. A "simple" editor setting would do IMO. Maybe BFC has concerns with mission/map file size as obviously some more info got to be saved in a file. 🧐

7 hours ago, NPye said:

Just made a nicely detailed bespoke King Tiger from the Muncheberg Panzer Division.

1XygTP.jpg

almost beeing too beautifull for dumping it in as simple flavor object.

1 hour ago, NPye said:

I solved the rotating problem, here it is in situ.

1b8mgM.png

same here. But fits well with overall Berlin objects and texture looks. 😎 Is that still a multi action spot object? I´d likely avoid such construction for some the mentioned issues, but that more concerns when using it outside intended Berlin mod. I´d placed this 2 part germanized T-34 and Opel truck flavor object on one my test maps and now can´t get rid of it again. It also can´t get rotated nor accessed by other editor methods. Haven´t checked related MDR file in Blender yet but I´d guess this issue could also be related to either missing META data or is a game engine limitation when flavor objects spill over into neighboring actions spots. 🤔 Otherwise good work on the train.

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Here's the second texture for Dragon's Teeth, first in background. The second one has a quite smooth uniform looking texture, nice even batch of concrete that day ...

iEJcM4z.jpg

Another nice variations as well. 😎 Hard to tell which I´d like the most, but as said also bits of depend on missions terrain and weather/ground setting I think. Will see. 🙂

9 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Likely just an internal switch in exe code. Should be re-activated in next patch, in case there´s yet any coming IMO. (likely no I guess) 😐 Files is all there so at least one can bits of play around with them in Blender etc.

Yeah I guess they couldn't have predicted that x years down the line we would need it 🤨

We can always use the tall bocage models with a bit of jigging around, but they will just be eye candy.

12 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Thanks! 😎 I´d need something with pine (needles) but everything that could be experimented with is fine for the start! I off course volunteer for testing it comprehensively. 🙂

You can have all sorts once I figure it out - doing the initial Blender work is the hard part after that we should be good to port in any tree, the game engine will mostly take care of the seasons so long as we have textures.

14 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

How do the teeth look in overcast, rainy, snow (yet to be created) and night setting btw?

Yep they work pretty well all round. Cos they're quite light colour they make good markers in the dark 😎

15 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

some winter inspiration for ya ❄️

I really want to get some winter textures done for all my mods. Playing in snowy scenarios is one of my favourites.

17 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Interesting. Typical CM of the unexpected sort. Re curve ball effect reminds me of how i.e foxholes and craters are treated when beeing placed on the map. Each click (craters) seemingly rotates them ~40° clockwise and foxholes appear working in similar way. So it´s all not that random at last. Really wish BFC allows us to "fix" certain these terrain objects in place or at least allow manual rotation (like flavors) and then fix. A "simple" editor setting would do IMO. Maybe BFC has concerns with mission/map file size as obviously some more info got to be saved in a file. 🧐

Yeah maybe in the next engine we'll get some of these time and sanity savers!