Berlin CMRT Map

17 hours ago, NPye said:

lol Sorry Mark I thought I was being helpful... you are the man for this so I leave it all up to you bud... Cheers

Hehe 😉

We nearly have the factory done, UV maps pretty much conquered, at least for this one. 

With the factory done I can make some FOs then the barn chimney things ...

17 hours ago, NPye said:

It would mean a complete new wet mod and even then just making a puddle look good is almost impossible with the current game engine???

I think someone tried this once, needs a lot of retexturing. If the game supported sophisticated lighting fx then there would be a lot we could do with that but it's just not possible with the existing shaders. I have been trying various wet look ground textures, but there are issues with lighting that are impossible to overcome, even switching off shaders and shadows don't seem to affect them. Anyway more of that later, back to big chimneys for now.

16 minutes ago, NPye said:

lol You, now get the tea on slag.... lol

which brings me onto another meaning of fag that @JM Stuff would be fascinated by ... he'll have to look it up, I'm not his fag ... 😉

16 minutes ago, NPye said:

OOOHHHH Matron... Said in a Kenneth Williams Voice...lol

Around here we prefer a bit of Sgt. Howerd ... Ooh err Missus ...

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I think someone tried this once, needs a lot of retexturing. If the game supported sophisticated lighting fx then there would be a lot we could do with that but it's just not possible with the existing shaders. I have been trying various wet look ground textures, but there are issues with lighting that are impossible to overcome, even switching off shaders and shadows don't seem to affect them. Anyway more of that later, back to big chimneys for now.

I've tried and is really tough to make it look what it should be.... like you say it's really down to the lighting, you make models look reflective static but once they move into different light situations then they don't work... I made some good mud textures, and the water being that it's always californian blue and unchangeable as far as i know????, like european rivers are that colour...lol more like a dirty brown/green. The makers have never been to Europe I doubt... I wouldn't personally want to tackle this again.... just not work the massive effort involved....

17 hours ago, NPye said:

Wouldn't that be awesome in game, starts off overcast with a rain shower in the middle of the game then turning out sunny...

definitely, yes. I´m used to dynamic weather from ARMA 3 so there´s no reason not including it with CM as well.

17 hours ago, NPye said:

The point i'm trying to make is wouldn't it be great if we could choose when to deploy our reinforcements, because what happened is just as expected, they deployed and where instantly under fire from the Demons of Death Tigers and mortars..

yes again. Reinforcement by choice or concerning AIP by means of a (terrain) trigger. All nations almost always had timed reserve and counterattack forces (if available, strength wise) destined to move into action when certain things happened automatically. No higher up HQ orders necessary. ...Like penetration into MLR or loss of a certain terrain objective. Okay, there´s some workarounds but require a large enough map and using AIP scripting in more elaborate ways.

17 hours ago, NPye said:

Oh well an amazing game and I think the AI is acting better since the update...It just seems a bit shaper?

what do you mean and saw exactly?

12 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

definitely, yes. I´m used to dynamic weather from ARMA 3 so there´s no reason not including it with CM as well.

yes again. Reinforcement by choice or concerning AIP by means of a (terrain) trigger. All nations almost always had timed reserve and counterattack forces (if available, strength wise) destined to move into action when certain things happened automatically. No higher up HQ orders necessary. ...Like penetration into MLR or loss of a certain terrain objective. Okay, there´s some workarounds but require a large enough map and using AIP scripting in more elaborate ways.

what do you mean and saw exactly?

Well this map I have played many times before and the Tigers generally never make it to where they did, there are X2 SOv 85mm AT guns plus X4 76mm AT Guns, but this time the Tigers smashed all of them...lol Their infantry seemed much more aware ie drop down as soon as being shot at??? and really hard to dislodge from buildings... groupings defo better...

17 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Question 4 U Harry, what makes the water blue in this game and can it be changed? I can't find anything???

16 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Also that I would like to know how BF present his dead soldiers probably with a script or something else because I dont see any pictures of dead soldiers in the game, this will be more easy of course linked with a mdr.

Dead soldiers is last frame of an animation sequence which then stops for good once a soldier is downed (KIA/WIA). Other animation sequences are loops based on a commonly used "T" pose model then replayed or followed by a different type loop if applicable. But as long as we can´t "extract" single frames from an ani sequence you won´t have access to them for modding purposes. (= the MDS files). With some effort one could probably figure out individual frames by means of Hex edit hacking and then cut out all frames except the last one (= dead soldier lying on the ground motionless). No idea if that´s doable, but that´s the idea if we can´t have access by means of a 3D editor understanding BFC´s MDS format.

Yes I see that is not really @aris vehicles but probably more @RockinHarry, did you make yours own textures soldiers and vehicles for this period, all seam to be more dirty and wet, also the ground is this the one from @Falaise, something that I appreciate are they already include in your mod You enter in Germany, or you did some news, if yes can you later provide a link about ?

The M4 Sherman examples is original Aris, then bits of adapted in my graphic apps. Mostly some contrast tweaking, bits of darkening and making colors more vivid (or saturated). For infantry it depends on base mod made by anybody else. Then adding bits of dirt and "wet" effects similar to mentioned above (vehicles).

For terrain (and objects) stuff it´s based on what´s available. So it´s a case to case procedure like with my YEG mod package. Can be original games ground tiles/textures then beeing modified by myself. Or the more pretty stuff from Mark or Worghern i.e Might grab some of Nigel´s stuff when ready as well.

If I understnad you correctly you want having a look into YEG mod set? 🤔 DL link (dropbox) is included at mission download page if that´s what you mean. https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/cmbn-v4-mg-vp-you-enter-germany-introduction/

Dont pay attention too much to my jokes,  this is a must to me, but I really appreciated the talk that you are to explain like @Lucky_Strike, and @NPye to explain something in deep sense.

Hehe. No worries mate. Ya know If beeing asked I always do some further explanations if I do too much 中国人 talking.🤪

7 minutes ago, NPye said:

Question 4 U Harry, what makes the water blue in this game and can it be changed? I can't find anything???

From my understanding it´s based on some texture files then beeing dealt with by shader files "water_simple.frag" and "water_simple.vert" for in game rendering. Haven´t yet figured out how to manipulate these. I wanted water look more gray when it´s cloudy/rainy weather but couldn´t get it to work this far. Either I´m stupid or this feature ain´t fully implemented in the CM games. IDK. 😐

14 hours ago, NPye said:

Old Faces for the Volkssturm... Poor old fellows should be putting their feet up beside the fire with a nice glass or 2 of Schnapps in their hands...

REhLvc.png

can you mix in some Pimpfe youngsters as well? Well done btw. 😎

14 hours ago, NPye said:

The last squad, a few surrounded wehrmacht infantry discuss weather to fight or surrender, they fight of course, for what would life be worth under communist regime... 'Better dead than Red'...

Rk2uhD.png

if it´s Schutzstaffel it was usually both anyway. ☠️

13 hours ago, NPye said:

LOL oh ya I forgot the American usage....

fag (gots), the musical instrument (bassoon) in german. 😆

12 hours ago, NPye said:

The dug in panzers are perfect for covering the long straight streets in Berlin... made by Lucky Strike...Cheers bud

REhSDx.png

Nice but I´m bits in doubt they´re placed such openly. More into corners or side streets with long range of fire along a particular street. This at least was how it´s done in Breslau city. No idea for details in Berlin battle though.

11 hours ago, NPye said:

I would have thought you health was the last thing on your mind when dodging bullets on the front line, and all that methamphetamine would make one smoke like mad???

Panzerschokolade 🤪

Edited by RockinHarry

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I think someone tried this once, needs a lot of retexturing. If the game supported sophisticated lighting fx then there would be a lot we could do with that but it's just not possible with the existing shaders. I have been trying various wet look ground textures, but there are issues with lighting that are impossible to overcome, even switching off shaders and shadows don't seem to affect them.

Yep, fairly complicated thing. I´d tried as well then figured it got to be made with finely adapted ground/object textures, CM shader file tweaks then maybe enhanced further with some ReShade stuff. Time consuming affair. 😛

Not tried yet but from my meager understanding normal map files take their part as well. At least where they are and can be used by the game. One can try removing given normal map files, then let do the CM shader files (blur_shader.* and bumpmapping.*) do their inbuilt default shading procedure. Then see how much CM shader file tweaks can do seperately (without effect from existing normal map files). Untried theory as said.

4 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

We nearly have the factory done, UV maps pretty much conquered, at least for this one. 

Awesome news Mark i've spent some time making improvements on the maps. Cheers

1 hour ago, NPye said:

Well this map I have played many times before and the Tigers generally never make it to where they did, there are X2 SOv 85mm AT guns plus X4 76mm AT Guns, but this time the Tigers smashed all of them...lol Their infantry seemed much more aware ie drop down as soon as being shot at??? and really hard to dislodge from buildings... groupings defo better...

Thanks for having a closer look! 😎 Think the hard to dislodge from buildings thing was added with a previous patch already. Haven´t yet tested on 2.12 fixes/weaks re this particular behavior. Re AT guns if they´re beeing placed frontally and rather low range they´re made scrap metal in short time. Better have them placed and key holed for flanking shots.

Some well placed SOV snipers do the turret guys get their heads down quickly and Tiger spotting caps are reduced significantly. Same for those germans that might help on info sharing (HQ´s). Place snipers where they can engage 300m an up. At lower range they get discovered and killed fairly quickly. I´m also using high experience (crack and up), but low morale for these guys. Otherwise they get spotted/killed far too quickly when higher morale gets them keep their heads up and shooting for far too long.

You can do similar things on them (AIP) by means of scripting. Like "on the spot hiding" when giving movement orders in certain intervals. Off course they won´t move anywhere when waypoint is same as current position, but follow any other given scripting orders (and behaviors). One off course can give them real move orders so they´d move to a switch position in same or different AS. Combine that with key holed placements and Tigers stop having fun times. Hehe

Btw... did you try my infantry animation mod (Re-Animate) already? 🤔

4 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Awesome can't wait... will really add to the flavour of the game...

32 minutes ago, NPye said:

No mate didn't know of such a thing...please provide link....Cheers

Sure, it´s here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pta8tjh31ngk2l/Re Animate.rar?dl=0

There´s also bits of descriptive text in each sub folder. In case you see any oddities or have (new) problems, just let me know please. It´s made for CMBN but BFC recycles almost all animation files for all their games. So it should be 99% compatible with CMRT as well. 🍻

Edit: I´d recommend to not get distracted with it too much ATM. If you´ve some your missions working and finished, then try Re-Animate to see if it/they play different or "better". It´s aimed for "lower carnage", but side effects can be reduced infantry spotting and shooting opportunities.

Edited by RockinHarry

7 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Dead soldiers is last frame of an animation sequence which then stops for good once a soldier is downed (KIA/WIA). Other animation sequences are loops based on a commonly used "T"

What do you mean with (T) ?

pose model then replayed or followed by a different type loop if applicable. But as long as we can´t "extract" single frames from an ani sequence you won´t have access to them for modding purposes. (= the MDS files). With some effort one could probably figure out individual frames by means of Hex edit hacking and then cut out all frames except the last one (= dead soldier lying on the ground motionless). No idea if that´s doable, but that´s the idea if we can´t have access by means of a 3D editor understanding BFC´s MDS format.

Mean that when we can have access to some such frames we can extract and modified them with hex edit interresting!! 

For terrain (and objects) stuff it´s based on what´s available. So it´s a case to case procedure like with my YEG mod package. Can be original games ground tiles/textures then beeing modified by myself. Or the more pretty stuff from Mark or Worghern i.e Might grab some of Nigel´s stuff when ready as well.

Yes I forget always the titanest mod from Worghem from Lucky I use it already, but the nature is more for Normandie,hey Lucky you have some stuffs to do (just joking boy), I use also some from Falaise there are some that we can added in the period of CMFB before the snow coming.

If I understnad you correctly you want having a look into YEG mod set? 🤔 DL link (dropbox) is included at mission download page if that´s what you mean. https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/cmbn-v4-mg-vp-you-enter-germany-introduction/

No  I have aleady your mod, but thanks for the link !

中国人 talking.🤪

Nothing to say is already chinese for me 😆

Thanks !

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

14 hours ago, NPye said:

I've tried and is really tough to make it look what it should be.... like you say it's really down to the lighting, you make models look reflective static but once they move into different light situations then they don't work... I made some good mud textures, and the water being that it's always californian blue and unchangeable as far as i know????, like european rivers are that colour...lol more like a dirty brown/green. The makers have never been to Europe I doubt... I wouldn't personally want to tackle this again.... just not work the massive effort involved....

Yes it's just no doable as a whole with textures it requires some lighting changes and changes to the way surfaces react to light. The reflectivity of surfaces can be modded in Blender so that they shine more as they rotate in directional light in the way that a wet surface facing light will appear much brighter than a dry surface. But this would require whole new set of models for anything 3D. We still couldn't affect the way that billboard type objects - grass, leaves, brush, all the green stuff - should change with wet surfaces. A shader, if possible to make, would at best be a blanket approach. They can affect how light hitting surfaces affects colour/brightness/luminance, but they affect everything in the same way, not subtle.

I think best we could hope for is a semi wet look, but it's a huge job.

13 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Yep, fairly complicated thing. I´d tried as well then figured it got to be made with finely adapted ground/object textures, CM shader file tweaks then maybe enhanced further with some ReShade stuff. Time consuming affair. 😛

Not tried yet but from my meager understanding normal map files take their part as well. At least where they are and can be used by the game. One can try removing given normal map files, then let do the CM shader files (blur_shader.* and bumpmapping.*) do their inbuilt default shading procedure. Then see how much CM shader file tweaks can do seperately (without effect from existing normal map files). Untried theory as said.

It's basically a lot of trial and error for us since none really understands the shaders fully. I personally would rather stick with ReShade and perhaps using some LUTs in that for colour changes and other FX to influence things like specularity. At least with ReShade there's no need to mod anything and the results can be seen instantaneously.