CM: Future war/scifi

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

For the longest time I wanted to see something retro, like monster movies from the 1950s, M47 tanks and soldiers with M14 rifles versus Martian invaders.

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one...

9 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

I wouldn't want it to interfere with the normal development of CM, but I'd pay a lot, and I mean a lot, for CM:Battletech.

8QbvMSW.gif

🤓... I haven't touched it in over a year and only because for the life of me I can't get roguetech to work (back then at least).

I plan on setting some time aside for it someday... start over, hopefully with roguetech working.

I fired up MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries a few weeks ago after taking a break from it as well.

Entertaining both are.

Edited by Blazing 88's

4 hours ago, CaptainTheDark said:

ngl, if it were possible I would already be learning how to make a Hammer's Slammers mod.

Yup, that would be another good sci fi topic.  Maybe even better than CMCW?  It probably would be easy to remove the bottom of vehicles (where they touch the ground) so that they "hover" as in Slammers.

Edited by Erwin

Slammer's tanks would fire a flat-trajectory shot that travelled fast, but not fast as light (I think). Fast, though. And flat trajectories. These would be line of sight weapons. What I'd really be interested in is gaming to discover what warfare might be like when you can simulate, for example, a situation where air power's impossible, anything above ground is either armored or instantly zapped by *something*. Machines would have to hug the ground, hide, burrow. Or maybe game a situation with "laser" cannon.

Or a swarm of small wingman machines that can assist a tank. A drone tender that launches and recovers drones.

I get the impression that it's not possible to edit such details in a CM mod, so I'll just focus right now on those awesome 1980s battle scenarios. I'm excited bout this Cold War game.

2 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

🤓... I haven't touched it in over a year and only because for the life of me I can't get roguetech to work (back then at least).

I plan on setting some time aside for it someday... start over, hopefully with roguetech working.

I fired up MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries a few weeks ago after taking a break from it as well.

Entertaining both are.

I've been playing off and on since development stopped. As soon as Hobbes finishes the campaign version of Hyades Rim, I'll look forward to playing through that. His career version was really well done with all the original flashpoints.

RT was okay, but I preferred to mod things the way I thought they should be.

6 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Sci Fi ground combat from some established franchise might seem interesting, but I haven't seen any of these that have a consistent framework of technology and tactics like actual real-world warfare does.

Warhammer 40k was a tabletop wargame prior to 8th edition (arguably 7th too). The rule book presented a consistent framework, and codices had unique factional doctrines. Although, it may require a melee combat system.

Star Wars is essentially a CM WW2 reskin, and therefore the most fitting universe. Jedi/Sith/Force are extremely rare. The models for some of the weapons are already there like mg34, mg42, panzerschreck.

DUST 1947 (another tabletop wargame) could literally be a module for CM titles, adding mechs and other outrageous equipment for existing factions.

16 hours ago, Erwin said:

Probably the book "Starship Troopers" may have more of a following.  (The movie was not good.)

In the book, a platoon of these power armoured, nuke tossing, troopers can capture a planet. The mobile infantry doesn't have any support outside of sappers, psychics and half-dog, half-man hybrids. Bugs generally stick to underground tunnels, and fling asteroids.

I think the movie would fit better into the CM scale. Although, with a distinct lack of support too. IMHO, the Roughneck Chronicles would be the best fit for CM scale.