Wrecks wrecks everywhere but do they block line of sight?

Just had a situation where my Challenger destroyed a T-x while firing through a wrecked Warrior. Interestingly the Challenger's LOS wasnt affected at all by the wreck, is that normal?

Or does the sighting time increseas and hit chance simply decrease?

On the reverse, the T-x could only see the tip of the barrel, the left fender and the top turret optics!

Best

THH

Yeah that's pretty normal in my experience. Wrecks, flavor objects provide cover and a little concealment. Mostly to infantry. In the case of your challenger I think the IR optics are just that good. The wreck does not give off a heat signature, and therefore the chally can see the T-x just fine behind the Warrior. Me thinks.

Edited by Artkin

20 hours ago, THH149 said:

Just had a situation where my Challenger destroyed a T-x while firing through a wrecked Warrior. Interestingly the Challenger's LOS wasnt affected at all by the wreck, is that normal?   On the reverse, the T-x could only see the tip of the barrel, the left fender and the top turret optics! 

In April 2019 @Vanir Ausf B posted the below which I paraphrased: 

1) Friendly vehicles never block LOS/LOF for other friendly vehicles.

2) Operable enemy vehicles block LOF, but not LOS, from friendly vehicles.

3) Non-smoking KO'd vehicles do not block LOS/LOF for friendly or enemy vehicles.

4) Non-smoking KO'd vehicles block LOF, but not LOS, from any unit as long as the targeted unit is not a vehicle (ie: tank shooting at infantry or infantry shooting at infantry)

5) Smoking vehicles block LOS and LOF.

6) "Vehicles" means tanks, SP guns, and AT/Anti-personnel guns.

Yeah I was throwing away my stinger platoon in CMBS and I let the russians walk over their forward scout positions. Wasn't as easy as I expected for them. I left the humvees scattered across the town empty. After they were ruined my guys were able to take cover behind them. I just wanted it to look cool so I left guys outside of houses and stuff. Had russians walk maybe 3-4 squares away before fighting.

I guess it was smoking because the empty humvees were killed systematically :)

Edited by Artkin

9 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

I have no evidence in my experience of extensively experimenting with FOs that this is indeed the case. They are eye candy, nothing more.

I thought it was in the manual they they did provide cover. There's a post on here from 2011 that says they do provide cover as well. But it isn't stated anywhere in the manual and is false I guess. Thanks

11 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

I have no evidence in my experience of extensively experimenting with FOs that this is indeed the case. They are eye candy, nothing more.

CM-Black-Sea-2021-03-27-01-53-47-72.png

CM-Black-Sea-2021-03-27-01-52-43-09.png

Image 1: the yellow is the russians getting owned.

Image 2: you can see the ukr interacting with the cover as opposed to the commies getting slaughtered laying on their gluttonous bellies.

I believe not all flavor objects contribute cover, such as hay bales, but rather offer concealment.

I didn't try this in SF2, but it should be the same... battle ended with a perfect k/d

Edited by Artkin

Thermal sights in RL if you can believe the media. An Abrams spotted an T55 which was behind the top of a hill thanks to his thermal sights. The APDSFS went through the cover and blew the turret off. I would like to see a video of this. I don't think everyday objects will be effective. 

On 3/27/2021 at 5:57 AM, Artkin said:

Image 1: the yellow is the russians getting owned.

Image 2: you can see the ukr interacting with the cover as opposed to the commies getting slaughtered laying on their gluttonous bellies.

I believe not all flavor objects contribute cover, such as hay bales, but rather offer concealment.

I didn't try this in SF2, but it should be the same... battle ended with a perfect k/d

That's interesting and challenges my understanding. I've done some testing which led to me to the opposite conclusion, but certainly in light of your test there, it does look like you are right. Thanks for posting!