Unable to run game after install

What security software do you have installed ? You may need to add an exception within it for the game directory and/or executable file. Typically you should get some sort of warning that the security software has interrupted the functioning of a program, but I have seen instances where there is no warning from the security software what-so-ever when it has interfered. If you have nothing in particular installed, then you may have run into an issue with Microsoft Defender that some users run into (but not all). If adding an exception in this case still doesn't get CMBN to run, then you may want to consider installing a security program (to replace Microsoft Defender) and see if that changes the behavior.

If your computer is a laptop and it also has Intel integrated video along with the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, then you may want to create a 'profile' within the Nvidia control panel for the CMBN executable. On laptops this should make the game run on the dedicated/discrete video rather than the built-in Intel video (which the CM series can have problems with some of the available Intel drivers).

Thanks but i dont think its security related. I dont run a firewall as its a gaming only pc. But i disabled Defender and as many other security options as i could with the same results. Just to say the game never starts just completes the splash screen.

Ive reinstalled at default location...Same.. Run as Administrator same result.

Strange thing is if i look at the program in Apps the thumbnail has a red X. And the shortcut has two arrows in the top right corner pointing towards each other???

Mike

Edited by Spartan

The listing of CMBN in the Apps with a 'red X' through it simply indicates that it is an uninstaller and is completely normal.

I'm not completely sure you can fully disable Microsoft Defender. If you have nothing else installed to replace it, then it might still be running (despite attempts to disable it). Supposedly stopping the 'Windows Defender Antivirus Service' and stopping the 'Antimalware Service Executable' as mentioned in in this article would do the job, but I'm uncertain. What makes this confusing is that it seems some people have no problems with Microsoft Defender, while others do.

9 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

If you have nothing else installed to replace it, then it might still be running (despite attempts to disable it).

I did try and disable Defender and install AVG on my new Win 10 machine that wouldn't run CM2, but that didn't help.  (It's always possible that a key step was missed - when something goes wrong it can become very complex to troubleshoot.)  All CM2 games run fine on my 3 year old Win 10 machine.  So I suspect something in the newest iteration of the OS.  This assumes that the NSA or Chinese Intelligence (since I think most of the system was made in China) haven't hacked my new machine so I cannot use it for CM2 - always a possibility I suppose.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

I did try and disable Defender and install AVG on my new Win 10 machine that wouldn't run CM2, but that didn't help.  (It's always possible that a key step was missed - when something goes wrong it can become very complex to troubleshoot.)  So I suspect something in the newest iteration of the OS.  This assumes that the NSA or Chinese Intelligence (since I think most of the system was made in China) haven't hacked my new machine so I cannot use it for CM2 - always a possibility I suppose.

It is unlikely that it has anything to do with anti-virus software. The most common causes are an installation that is missing brz files. Or it's a laptop that is trying to run on an Intel integrated card, rather than the Geforce GTX 1060

Those are the most common (exclusive) causes for what he's seeing. 

All CM2 games run fine on my 3 year old Win 10 machine. 

Almost, the original CMBN Game Engine 1 will not run on Windows 10. You need at least one of the Upgrades. 

4 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Or it's a laptop that is trying to run on an Intel integrated card, rather than the Geforce GTX 1060

I'm also running on a decent Win10 gaming laptop with Geforce GTX 1060 and have had no problems.  I'm running Defender (don't see the need for anything else).

Anyway Mike, bear with, as it will be worth it when you get it going.

4 hours ago, Spartan said:

thanks everyone. Ive tried everything i can think of at my end. Just to say its a higher end gaming machine im running on about 18 months old.

Ive not seen any messages on the support page?

Mike

Check your spam folder. I replied at 2:49pm EDT on Christmas. Or you can log into your Help Desk account and read my questions there. The login information for the Help Desk is in the auto response that was sent when you opened your ticket.

On 12/25/2020 at 2:52 PM, Erwin said:

Let us know what the solution turned out to be.  I think more and more of us are experiencing something similar with Win 10.

I'd mentioned that when I see this it is usally either a laptop running the game on an Intel integrated video card or missing brz files. In this case it was the missing brzs. Here is what was in his Data folder. Pretty much the whole game was missing. The fix is to re-download and install with the firewall and anti-virus software disabled. They are the primary culprits of missing installation pieces. 

Data.jpg

Actual my problem was more simple than that. I had downloaded the file a couple of times but with defender on. Defender had stripped files from the down load some how. So everything I tried from that point on was useless. Instead of about 15 files in the data directory, I had only 4.

so everyone hide, I’m about to buy the upgrade ;)

mike