Leaders Recon.

chuckdyke

On 12/16/2020 at 4:57 PM, chuckdyke said:

The idea to have the 'Key People' occupying Key Terrain. Key Terrain permits the observation of the objective and area of operations. . From there the leader can bear the fire power of his units upon the enemy. 

leaders recon.jpg

So you are saying:

The leader, supported by scouting units, should be in a location, from which he has an overview of the operational area and which is close enough to the subordinate units, to control and direct them.

Ah, ja. That‘s a new concept. 😎

Edited by StieliAlpha

Not new at all, I elaborate further. Four man, one is a scout, followed by the fire-team leader and the other two in reserve. They can secure, attack or assault. A section can also be split using the same principle. Platoons three sections or squads. Company three platoons, Battalion three companies. We just call it different secure element with two reserve elements. You have a battle plan everybody understands and carry out. The leader moves with the security element followed by the support. This way maximum firepower can bear on the enemy at the shortest possible time. The leaders knows when the reserve units can advance without getting ambushed. Typically advance to a terrain feature before the objective. From the reserve elements we can for example break off a marksman team for over watch. No scout moves without cover from supporting elements. Kind regards. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, Erwin said:

How about of the weapons section was with the platoon leader?  Presumably the leader would be able to locate the MG/Support Weapon in the best position before any other maneuver.

The idea is how far your formation can travel before deployment. To avoid premature dismounting or debussing. Study the map and its features. Company HQ + Security Platoon, HQ weapons +Observers. Determine your observation post, communications and firing positions. The Recon stops at the first contact, your advancement can start, and the leaders can observe the enemy's reaction. Even a four men firing team uses the same principle. The leader do the Recon, position his marksman, grenadier, and reserve. Here in British Mettle I could Position the Tac Air Control on the top as the dug in T55's were revealed by the snipers. The Forward Observer on the Bottom with the 2-sniper observing the suspected ATGM sites. As Challengers are more than a match for the T55's they complimented the Attack by the Typhoon Fighter bomber. The Challengers did a shoot and scoot mission as I am aware of possible ATGM attack. They revealed themselves but missed, this tactic works often the terrain is forested and the Challengers didn't stop fast forward and reverse. The Arty Observer called in a mortar strike , combined with the Airstrike and the Challengers. The T55's on the high ground were destroyed. Without the Leaders Recon Tactic this wouldn't have worked. Your security platoon makes sure the area is clear you operate in. Daylight just broke and the night vision advantage of my recon elements have gone. 

British Mettle B.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In Final Blitzkrieg same principle. The leader's recon found key multipliers. The most dangerous guys on the battlefield. The men who can read a map, have a radio and binoculars, and know how to use them. The StugIII and the Pak 75 mm are going to be history. The men who shoot first usually live longer. leaders-recon-blitzkrieg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Vinnart said:

I've been using XO's in this way

Agreed... units like this and 2IC and HQ Support units seem ideal.  But, I try to not do that any more as dangerous recon doesn't seem like what they would allowed to do in RL.  But, yes in the absence of corpsmen they inevitably get used as medics.

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

Agreed... units like this and 2IC and HQ Support units seem ideal.  But, I try to not do that any more as dangerous recon doesn't seem like what they would allowed to do in RL.  But, yes in the absence of corpsmen they inevitably get used as medics.

The guys are spotting with the smallest unit. 2 scouts and a HQ someway behind. I am surprised they spotted an AT Gun. Usually, you get a sound contact of an AFV which stops the recon. Infantry squad has the function to secure when they must withdraw. The HQ is Veteran and above. 

13 hours ago, Vinnart said:

I've been using XO's in this way for a long time as part of the spear front recon as they spot well, and are more expendable than Plt Ldr IMO. They also, serve as good front line medics.

i

They researched the function of medics in the game. Apart from retrieving equipment no other benefits. The Victory status stays the same. 3 wounded and 15 KIA or 18 KIA only no difference. It may be different during a campaign as some wounded could return to their unit. I don't agree with it as there should be some bonus, but there is no hard evidence. Another thing I picked up from the Few Good Men Forums. 

Aside from "it's the right thing to do", the main advantage is getting xtra ammo and often picking up a better weapon.  I also recall that it used to be that there was some small advantage in VP's in tending WIA so they didn't become KIA.  But, perhaps that was changed by an update.  It's hard to keep up unless one reads the manuals frequently.

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Aside from "it's the right thing to do", the main advantage is getting xtra ammo and often picking up a better weapon.  I also recall that it used to be that there was some small advantage in VP's in tending WIA so they didn't become KIA.  But, perhaps that was changed by an update.  It's hard to keep up unless one reads the manuals frequently.

I feel there should be an improvement in the units combat shock or stress. But it doesn't take place. It does when you split away the other teams from the team with the casualty. Maybe that is the purpose of it, but you don't have to deliver the buddy aid. 

Recon and you start the game with plenty of Intel. Only one thing to do is to confirm it. Meetings the analogy of a tennis match. Serve fast and go for the net. I lost a Scimitar, from hindsight things are easy. The Scimitar was in the top 5 on the Chieftains YouTube Channel. I can see why; it is fast only when it stops or slows down it is vulnerable. No 2 scouts on hunt this is not the terrain for it. Apaches see only AFV's I was told and to see what they are doing you need something light and fast. The lost Scimitar is on the other end of the map. 

ReconS.jpg

Never mind he has a -1 for leadership. He has binoculars, a radio and is a veteran. It is written in the Good Book "Seek and Thou Shalt Find." Artillery you have from 0 to 15 minutes consider the 15 min. The platoon can find the enemy and the FO can find the ideal spotting position for adjustments.  

105-mm.jpg

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I have absolutely no idea what you just attempted to say.  :rolleyes:

Even the picture doesn't help.....It's so blurred I can't read the text.

The Topic here is 'Leader's Recon.' One platoon is responsible to contact enemy units as outlined by the intel in the briefing. The quality is not great the leader is -1 the two scouts -2. The setup is as follows two scouts of squad alpha who must stay in contact with his platoon leader. He has the radio; the other two squads also send out two scouts to receive the intel from the scouts of alpha squad. Before I send them out, I plotted an artillery strike in the vicinity of suspected enemy positions. The FO will also be in contact with first platoon. To get confirmation or he can cancel the artillery strike. The scouts approached the open area from the 6 o'clock position and made contact. Units spotted two 88 mm FLAK and German infantry. Obstacles encountered barbed wire around the perimeter. I followed the procedures as out lined by. 

Captain DeLeon - YouTube

Edited by chuckdyke
spelling

Recon starts with a Map Recon and I was inspired by someone using the cover arc to read the terrain. CM doesn't give HQ a topographic map. By using a cover arc, it is easy to make one. Elevated terrain is not covered by the cover arc using camera position 9. I plotted a move order near the centre of the map near low laying terrain near water or a bridge is ideal. Press K+Shift to cover all the map. 

recon.jpg

I wouldn't know of any way of doing that, there's no way to change the structure of Modular Buildings (other than some trickery with the roof) AFAIK.....Maybe @37mm would know a way.

Most of the Independent Residential Buildings already have what I would think of as attics, rooms on the top floor with dormer windows.