Valley of Tears on HBO Max

mjkerner

I am in episode 4. So far so good, not as good as BoB or Pacific , but it is still very good with a foreign flavor.  Good to see Sho't in action. Infantry battle scenes is a little "Meh"... 

This is not a TV show that only focus on glorious battles , it presents a vivid picture that shows the clash between different classes and ethnicity in 70's Israel

https://www.haaretz.com/life/television/.premium-valley-of-tears-v-no-man-s-land-which-should-you-watch-1.9322230  

11 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Love Fauda. I've watched all 3 seasons twice already. Season 4 is a go, IIRC.

Fauda was excellent, I couldn't agree more.  Glad to hear season 4 is a go.  Can't wait to watch Valley of Tears.  As soon as US football season is over I'll turn off TV and turn back on HBO to watch it.  Does anyone remember the Israeli movie 'Lebanon'?

7 hours ago, waffelmann said:

Thinking about watching Fauda: Is it not too pro-israel-politics? I don't want to see the israeli version of a michael bay-production....is it really good?

Well... one can see that interpretation as there is quite a lot of "kill everybody in the room or street as they are all expendable Arabs just to get the actual target".  But, Fauda does depict some of the main characters as a bit psycho-demented and some, including the main character, are not particularly sympathetic.  

Yes, Erwin, I agree somewhat with that assessment overall.  But it did try to show things from both sides: the tragedy for so many Palestinians caught up in events out of their control.  Then it would kill a dozen of them in a gunfight, though generally (not always) killed 'combatants' or at least mob attackers.  So was a mixed bag for me on that score, but it was a gripping story every time -- tragedy, hubris, revenge right out of Greek mythology. 

So Waffelmann, give it a try & see what you think.  I've been to Israel twice on business so was especially interested.  I am not anti-Israel, nor am I anti-Palestinian, and I was captivated by Fauda.

2 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

But it did try to show things from both sides: the tragedy for so many Palestinians caught up in events out of their control.  Then it would kill a dozen of them in a gunfight, though generally (not always) killed 'combatants' or at least mob attackers.  So was a mixed bag for me on that score, but it was a gripping story every time -- tragedy, hubris, revenge right out of Greek mythology. 

Yes, agree with all you said.  Very complex show politically and emotionally.  Reflects the RL situation well.

Edited by Erwin