WW2 christmas reading....tips

3 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

For sure, Aragorn.  I just got his latest book on audio, but he narrated himself and I turned it back in and will instead read it.  Have you read any Ben MacIntyre?  True espionage stuff that's most excellent.

Absolutely agree. A Spy Among Friends (on Kim Philby), Agent Sonia and The Spy And The Traitor are among my favorite books on espionage. I'm reading Witchfinder by Andrew Williams at the moment. Also a great book to read in front of the fire place on a dark and cold evening.

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

It really saddens me to realize that with people like this kind and modest gentleman also a world is disappearing. A little taste of what getting older really means, I guess. 

Yes.  I posted on General Forum how a couple days ago we also lost Chuck Yeager - ace test pilot who was the first to break the sound barrier and was the inspiration for "The Right Stuff".  Also had time to fight in WW2, Korea and Vietnam.  Another amazing life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Right_Stuff_(film)

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Absolutely agree. A Spy Among Friends (on Kim Philby), Agent Sonia and The Spy And The Traitor are among my favorite books on espionage. I'm reading Witchfinder by Andrew Williams at the moment. Also a great book to read in front of the fire place on a dark and cold evening.

Sounds like I need to get Agent Sonia out of my wish list on into my library 🙂

I see Witchfinder, after some wrong turns by that title.  Interesting...

Right now it's December, and my annual pilgrimage to all things Ardenne Offensive, starting w Company Commander, which I first read a few hundred years ago, I think it was.  And of course Final Blitzkrieg.  After Friday I have two weeks off work to end the year and nothing to do.  CM heaven.

50 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Sounds like I need to get Agent Sonia out of my wish list on into my library 🙂

I see Witchfinder, after some wrong turns by that title.  Interesting...

Right now it's December, and my annual pilgrimage to all things Ardenne Offensive, starting w Company Commander, which I first read a few hundred years ago, I think it was.  And of course Final Blitzkrieg.  After Friday I have two weeks off work to end the year and nothing to do.  CM heaven.

Me too. Hard lockdown announced today, so plenty of time for the nicer things in life.