WW2 christmas reading....tips

hello...

Have you guys read any good books lately (about WW2)...That you recomend as christmas holidays bedtime reading ?

Personally i'm considdering bying this one...the  2020 version...As a nice companion to CMRT 😎

https://www.bokus.com/bok/9781912866137/bloody-streets/

Has any one bought this one ? If so...do you recomend it ?

3 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

hello...

Have you guys read any good books lately (about WW2)...That you recomend as christmas holidays bedtime reading ?

Personally i'm considdering bying this one...the  2020 version...As a nice companion to CMRT 😎

Bought this earlier this year to replace the first edition. Definitely an improvement and fantastic reference.

Only thing I’d point out:

Dimensioner 310 x 231 x 33 mm

Vik 2633 g

It’s a real wrist breaker, you’re gonna need some extra space in your bed just for this and don’t fall asleep with it on your chest as it’s likely to suffocate you! 😴😵

From the Realm of a Dying Sun, volume 1 and 2, on the IV. SS-Panzerkorps (Wiking and Totenkopf,, the old rocks in the Ostfront surf) in the Battles for Warsaw and Budapest in 1944-1945 by Douglas E. Nash. Can't praise this author enough. Extremely well written and the perfect companion for the coming module.

Edited by Aragorn2002

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Bought this earlier this year to replace the first edition. Definitely an improvement and fantastic reference.

Sounds good !

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

It’s a real wrist breaker, you’re gonna need some extra space in your bed just for this and don’t fall asleep with it on your chest as it’s likely to suffocate you! 😴😵

😁

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

From the Realm of a Dying Sun, volume 1 and 2, on the IV. SS-Panzerkorps (Wiking and Totenkopf,, the old rocks in the Ostfront surf) in the Battles for Warsaw and Budapest in 1944-1945 by Douglas E. Nash. Can't praise this author enough. Extremely well written and the perfect companion for the coming module.

Looks intresting indeed...will most likely find its way onto my wishlist that goes of to Santa 😋...

Thanks !

4 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Ordered 😊...

38 rewiews on Amazon...avereging 4.9 out of 5 !

According to those rewiews the book also comes with and added 60 page map book of high quality...

Might come in handy in areas that the FR-mastermaps do not cover. 🤓

Please write a short review when you've read it. First hand accounts and a 60 page book of maps sounds like a scenario maker's dream.

Edited by rocketman

31 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Please write a short review when you've read it. First hand accounts and a 60 page book of maps sounds like a scenario maker's dream.

Yeah...it sounds like it will be a very nice resorce for scenariodesign. 

The positive comments about the book makes me very exited about it...🙂

I will comment on it once i get my hands on it....it is somewhat pricy but well worth it it seems

10 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Yeah...it sounds like it will be a very nice resorce for scenariodesign. 

The positive comments about the book makes me very exited about it...🙂

I will comment on it once i get my hands on it....it is somewhat pricy but well worth it it seems

I would recommend to buy it in combination with Panzers in Berlin 1945, another excellent book.

Edited by Aragorn2002

One of the books I would try to rescue out of a burning house is The Panther Battalion Brandenburg and it's prehistory as I./PzRgt.26 1944-1945 by Wolfgang Ockert and Axel Urbanke published by Luftfahrtverlag Start. For anyone who's planning to make a scenario on Cherkassy, Budapest, the Oder Front or the Halbe Pocket this book is a treasure trove. Excellent maps, extremely well researched text and lots of great pictures. A must have for every Ostfronter. 

7 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

One of the books I would try to rescue out of a burning house is The Panther Battalion Brandenburg and it's prehistory as I./PzRgt.26 1944-1945 by Wolfgang Ockert and Axel Urbanke published by Luftfahrtverlag Start. For anyone who's planning to make a scenario on Cherkassy, Budapest, the Oder Front or the Halbe Pocket this book is a treasure trove. Excellent maps, extremely well researched text and lots of great pictures. A must have for every Ostfronter. 

Have to agree with you sir, in fact all your recent recommendations are on my bookshelves.

Another title worth considering is Last Laurels by Georg Gunter. Originally published in 1974 in German, it was translated into English, redone and expanded in 2002 by Helion. It covers the fighting in Upper Silesia from Jan-May 1945 from the German perspective. Has some very human stories and covers one of the lesser known sectors of the Eastern Front during the final months of the War. It’s also quite a large format with plenty of pics and maps.

Edited by Lucky_Strike

On 11/26/2020 at 11:29 AM, RepsolCBR said:

hello...

From The Realm of a Dying Sun 

Volume 1 superb detailed insight into the workings of a corps staff plus solid  operational account of combat in Poland  follow on volumes (2 just published) chart the operational history of IV SS Pz.Kps  

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/From_the_Realm_of_a_Dying_Sun_Volume_1.html?id=OF3JDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y

CMRT, East front? How to pick just one right? But I will anyway, and suggest Bidermann's In Deadly Combat. a company-level memoir from soon after Barbarossa, through Sevastopol, and the retreats to the Kurland pocket. A great read.

https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Combat-Soldiers-Eastern-Studies/dp/0700611223

Edited by landser

I'm sure I've posted about it here before but Bloody Streets is the single best book on the battle for Berlin. The level of detail will amaze you. I haven't read the 2nd edition yet but if its better than the 1st its amazing. The separate map book is beautiful. Panzers In Berlin 1945 and The Panther Battalion Brandenburg are also top shelf. The latter has also seen a 2nd edition, great book.

3 hours ago, jtsjc1 said:

I'm sure I've posted about it here before but Bloody Streets is the single best book on the battle for Berlin. The level of detail will amaze you. I haven't read the 2nd edition yet but if its better than the 1st its amazing. The separate map book is beautiful. Panzers In Berlin 1945 and The Panther Battalion Brandenburg are also top shelf. The latter has also seen a 2nd edition, great book.

The second edition of Bloody Streets is definitely worth the investment, I sold my first edition so that I could get it, a very worthwhile investment. Anything published by Luftfahrtverlag-Start has been utterly fantastic so far, am sure the reprint of The Panther Battalion Brandenburg, which adds 16 pages and 14 images will be top notch, am sorely tempted to replace my first edition but don’t think I can justify it on top of volume 2 of From The Realm of a Dying Sun and a couple of new titles from Peko - Fortress Budapest: The Siege of the Hungarian Capital 1944-45 and Bloody Vienna: The Soviet Offensive Operations in Western Hungary and Austria, March-May 1945 both by Kamen Nevenkin. There has definitely been a renaissance in the last few years of high quality military history publishing all to our benefit, though one has to save a bit of the old pocket money for them.

The Oder Front 1945. Volume 1: Generaloberst Gotthard Heinrici, Heeresgruppe Weichsel and Germany's Final Defense in the East, 20 March-4 May 1945 and The Oder Front 1945. Volume 2: Documents, Reports and Personal Accounts.

Both are very good, lot's of maps. I'm just about finished with volume 1. Volume 2 also included a book of maps.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:54 PM, jtsjc1 said:

The separate map book is beautiful. 

I'm looking forward to get my hands on this one....i

I've been reading quite a few of David Glantz books lately...his knowledge is truely impressive...but the maps ! is pehaps not the best part of those books...

It would be kind of neat if he could release a 'complete' mapbook with high quality, larger size, easily readable maps covering the majority of his books 🙂...

I belive such a thing would sell quite well...

There is the 4th volume of his Barbarossa derailed series...i'm thinking of getting that one dome day but haven't yet...has anyone bought that book ? If so...is it worth the money ? Are the maps much improved ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, rocketman said:

I recieved my copy of Bloody Streets today 😁

I have obviosly not read it yet...simply had a quick look at it...

The book comes with high quality paper, A4-size (standard printersize). A decent number of pictures...not exesive though.

Close to 500 pages...

As for the map-book...most maps are fairly high altitude areal photos. Some other maps are included also but the vast majority of them cover a fairly large area...

Will it be useful for scenario design ?

Maybe...to some degree i guess. The pictures will give you a good picture of the larger area but perhaps not so much when it comes to being able to plot down the individual buildings and other terrain features with the highest level of accuracy.

I will dive into the book comes weekend 😊.