WW2 title bridge weight limits

Forgive me if this has been discussed but I can't find it.

Are there known weight limits for the different types of bridge I might encounter in the WW2 titles (assuming I can work out what type they are)?  As you might be guessing I have not done a lot of bridge crossing yet.

Currently I'm in the situation of having to run my vehicles up to whatever type of bridge it is in the hope that I can get across, not always a good use of battle time 😉. Of course not knowing might be a closer match to real life I suppose...

I can of course experiment - for example will that Russian wooden bridge take the weight of my Panzer IV?  Yes, seems okay so what about a Panther etc.?  And in time, assuming bridge type A is always the same, I might build up sufficient knowledge if my memory holds up.

A bit later...

I see in the Editor the different bridge types:

image.png.3ec81d969daa3e439d19a7924177ee05.png

Are the numbers the tonnage capacities?   I'm not sure what R, F and W refer to - perhaps width but perhaps not.  Recognising which one of these options you have in a battle would seem to be impossible simply by looking at it, although width may be more obvious in game and may not be the deal breaker as far as my Panzer IV getting across?

Edited by Vacilllator

The numbers are the number of meters in length the bridge is.

R = rail (but just to confuse when you come to wooden ones the R does not mean that). 

F = footbridge

W = wide

FYI Panzer IVs will cross any bridge but once you get into larger tanks you'll have issues. From memory the wee narrow stone bridges (Stone 16 etc) are problematic for wide heavy tanks are as the light bridges. I often mark the bridges in missions as to what they can take.

28 minutes ago, George MC said:

I often mark the bridges in missions as to what they can take.

Many thanks George and your markings sound most useful.  So when I'm cruising around in my Jagdtiger/Tiger 2/Tiger 1/Panther etc. I should be thinking is that bridge steel, stone or wood and is it wide enough.  Is that all?  If I am in my Jagdtiger is steel okay, or stone?  I assume wood is a no-no.

20 minutes ago, George MC said:

IIRC you'll receive feedback in-game when you try to plot a move over it. Anything wide and stony should be OK for your large stuff. Wooden less so. IIRC lighter tanks like T-34s/PzIVs and panthers are Ok on wood. Tigers upwards in weight less so.

Well that sounds better than a more dramatic event mid-crossing, and the graphics for that could be challenging 😉.

I'm about to give it a try in an RT scenario, there's a bit of a drive to get to various bridges, so hopefully I can get across when I get there.

Edited by Vacilllator

34 minutes ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

Wait so you're telling me my platoon of Elefant's shouldn't cross that wooden bridge? 😔

I agree the extremes are obvious but what if it's a steel bridge, or can my Panthers cross a narrow bridge etc.?  My question came about because I wasn't sure from looking at the bridges on a 3D map.

Anyway I have rather belatedly realised I can plot waypoints from miles away to check whether I'm allowed to cross.  Is that correct?

@Sgt.Squareheadthat is a sad photo ☹️.  However I don't think that will happen in CM...

Edited by Vacilllator

12 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

I agree the extremes are obvious but what if it's a steel bridge, or can my Panthers cross a narrow bridge etc.?  My question came about because I wasn't sure from looking at the bridges on a 3D map.

Anyway I have rather belatedly realised I can plot waypoints from miles away to check whether I'm allowed to cross.  Is that correct?

@Sgt.Squareheadthat is a sad photo ☹️.  However I don't think that will happen in CM...

Yes you can plot points from kilometers away to check if you can cross. Think of it as route reconnaissance.

You can also do the same with water features, all terrain really, to check if it is navigable by your herd of Elefants or packs of Panthers (hhmm...do Panthers hunt in packs, I don't think so...?).

1 hour ago, George MC said:

Aye RL is a pain!

Indeed, indeed.

Anyway my first bridge crossing on this map (scenario is RT Myth of Invincibility) was that I quick moved first one then another Panther to a stone bridge, they both had a move waypoint half way across and another move waypoint off the other end, then a quick to follow.  Executed beautifully.  Not sure I even needed to slow them down.

There is however a wooden bridge on the other flank which my 'route reconnaissance' says is passable...  Not planning to use it just yet though.

I like this game a lot, even the logistics / movement get to me 👍.

Edited by Vacilllator

20 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Indeed, indeed.

Anyway my first bridge crossing on this map (scenario is RT Myth of Invincibility) was that I quick moved first one then another Panther to a stone bridge, they both had a move waypoint half way across and another move waypoint off the other end, then a quick to follow.  Executed beautifully.  Not sure I even needed to slow them down.

There is however a wooden bridge on the other flank which my 'route reconnaissance' says is passable...  Not planning to use it just yet though.

I like this game a lot, even the logistics / movement get to me 👍.

Aye I enjoy the logitics side as well - one reason I enjoy large scenarios. You have to factor in way more 'higher' level stuff. I've not long finished up a PBEM and the greatest challenge - as well as my opponent throwing a spanner in at what felt like every turn, was co-ordinating a large force to force a crossing over several defended crossing sites. With the key the one I could cross (that was not under as much fire as the others) was a muddy ford... I'd Tigers also but did  not dare risk em crossing the mud, so they had to wait till i managed to seize a heavy bridge so they could cross. Making that decision in itself was a brill part of the mission! My oppo did a good job though of reducing my traffic management issues by winnowing down my force...